Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unsolicited phone calls

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
...severely piss me off.

Just had a phone call from Fones Direct. As soon as they stumble over asking who you are, and before identifying themselves, you know you are going to be on the end of someone trying to sell you something.

So I stopped him by saying, 'look, whatever it is, I am not interested.' I didn't hang up at that point, because that would be TOO rude (not that I am above being bloody rude on the phone).

'How do you know what I calling you for?' came the grating Croydon-esque tones - the tones that sound like scraping your fingernails down a blackboard. 'Anyway, I'm calling to offer you mobile phone.' OK, I'll bite, you little bastard. 'I've already got a mobile phone. You just called me, remember?'

'Yeah, but this is a much better phone than what you've got, free of charge.'

'How do you know what phone I've got?'

'I don't. But it's better than what you've already got, innit?' He really did say 'innit' :lolol:

'Oh right, anyway, as I said I'm not interested. Don't call me again. If I want a new phone, I'll call you...'

'Well f*** off yourself you wanker...' Croydon-like. Horrible.

By which time, I'd then hung up. He did call back, but I ignored it. Unscolicited calls, doncha just love 'em? So what are worse? Unsolicited phone calls for conservatories (sorry, mate, I live on the 16th floor), double glazing (already got it) or mobile phones (the phone rings, I answer it, I speak, I hang up. That's ALL I need John)?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I got so fed up with them I signed up to BT's service where they take you name of the list that compaines use to make these calls. It can take a few months to filter through but once that happens the calls drop in number.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't answer any "number withheld " calls, just leave them to switch to the answering machine which is on all the time and trips after about 8 rings, much less hassle. If they leave a message and I want to speak to them, I call back. C'est simple

Pretty well all "salespeople" are on number withheld

Last edited:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Follow mindyjaja's advice, Largy, and get yourself listed on tps (and mps for junk mail). They're the nuts, they'll cut about 90% of the calls out altogether, and anybody who does call then will hang up immediately if you ask them who's calling.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...just pretend to be nutty or talk in a language other than English when they call, will soon get you taken off their database.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...naah, I pretend to be absolutely barking mad (maybe not far from the truth), favourite is to do an impression of Emo Phillips or to just laugh hysterically after everything they say.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Icy Gull said:
I don't answer any "number withheld " calls, just leave them to switch to the answering machine which is on all the time and trips after about 8 rings, much less hassle. If they leave a message and I want to speak to them, I call back. C'est simple

Pretty well all "salespeople" are on number withheld

or most companys that use a phone system that doesnt send out hte CLI [ie-most]

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Is anyone else with Orange, and getting loads of cold calls from people offering upgrades at the moment? I'm due for upgrade at the end of the month and going with T-Mobile (was going to stay with Orange but they've pissed me right off!!!!)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Wardywonderland said:
I got so fed up with them I signed up to BT's service where they take you name of the list that compaines use to make these calls. It can take a few months to filter through but once that happens the calls drop in number.

But then after time they return......................realy pissed off with these callers.I only answer the phone now if someone starts to leave a message on my answerphone......sad i know but if someone wants to get hold of me they ring my mobile:glare:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Woodchip said:
Is anyone else with Orange, and getting loads of cold calls from people offering upgrades at the moment? I'm due for upgrade at the end of the month and going with T-Mobile (was going to stay with Orange but they've pissed me right off!!!!)

Yep - I've had a contract since 1995 and been very happy but seriously considering moving. I've complained about the calls but they just say I must have agreed at some point although I am very careful about ticking boxes etc.

Also, they have changed the upgrade policy so that you don't automatically get a phone upgrade on a £25 a month contract - it is based on usage and if you only use just over your contracted amount you're classed as a low user and get minumum perks.

The final straw is that on my current bill, they now want to charge me for an itemised bill. I'll ring their main customer service later in the week using my near 11 years of custom as a negotiating tool but if they don't make me a good offer then I'll look elsewhere.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
Yep - I've had a contract since 1995 and been very happy but seriously considering moving. I've complained about the calls but they just say I must have agreed at some point although I am very careful about ticking boxes etc.

Also, they have changed the upgrade policy so that you don't automatically get a phone upgrade on a £25 a month contract - it is based on usage and if you only use just over your contracted amount you're classed as a low user and get minumum perks.

The final straw is that on my current bill, they now want to charge me for an itemised bill. I'll ring their main customer service later in the week using my near 11 years of custom as a negotiating tool but if they don't make me a good offer then I'll look elsewhere.
Try clicking here... Orange Customer Services

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
You're not on commission from T-Mobile are you?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
thedonkeycentrehalf said:
You're not on commission from T-Mobile are you?
No, but there the only one's that I haven't used so far, so thought I'd give them a go. All the people I know on T-mobile say they are god (unlike Orange, O2 anf Vodafone). I'll probably change my tune in about 6 months time.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I used to work at a mobile phone store and its very easy for companies to buy information about your contract (when it expires etc) so they can ring you to offer something better. Not sure of how it works legally but my boss used to have a list of at least a thousand expiring contracts at a time.

by the way, I have to disagree about T-Mobile. Had lots of problems with them. I'm with Three now and find the reception and cost excellent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here