Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unpublicised extensions to contracts revealed by the Argus

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Even if the first part of that is true (and I've long espoused the theory on here, that after The King, Harley has the best range of passing at the club), what about the second part? What possible LOGICAL reason is there to believe that his attitude and effort will be markedly different next time round. The hope that Harley comes good, is based on nothing but hope.

Gus is going to make him do pre-season with Charlie. It'll either kill him or he'll come out as the new Xavi.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. There is nothing in what Harley has done in the last 12 months to logically extrapolate that he is due to magically improve next season.

That isn't to say he won't, just that the above scenario is based on nothing but hope.

While what you say is true, it could be said of everyone in the squad.

That's wrong though. There are players in the squad, such as Barnes, whose level of performance and noticeable improvement over the course of the season, would give just cause to logically state that he should offer a big contribution next year.

With Harley, that's patently untrue. His best game was (his first?) against Sunderland, when their set up allowed him lots of time and space to pick a pass. He then scored a wonder goal against Peterborough, and his season tailed off quickly from there.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
CMS has certainly not taken his opportunity agreed, same for Harley, but they both have heaps more ability than Barnes in either role, striker or midfield. I can't kick the flaming ball as far as Barnes controlls it. If Harley had been persevered with he would have been up there, but Gus was Barnes centric this year, I don't think that will be sustained next season imho

Barnes's first touch is better than CMS's. Barnes is far more clinical with the ball in the box than CMS.

I actually counted the other day (think it was Brum game, might've been Watford)

First 5 touches of the ball:

Barnes - Controlled well first FOUR times, fifth time LOST IT (cue - booing, shouting/swearing etc)
CMS - Lost it first 2, controlled well on third, then Lost it on 4th and 5th. (cue - very quiet murmurings).

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Barnes's first touch is better than CMS's. Barnes is far more clinical with the ball in the box than CMS.

Both of these statements are correct. Barnes first touch is miiles better than CMS'. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Perhaps they actually don't understand that when his first touch is to cushion the ball five yards away (away from the guy stood on his heels) this is because he HAS controlled it succesfully, rather than the opposite...

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I'm gobsmacked that anyone can rate Harley above Dicker. On what basis?

Harley has a hell of a lot more talent and ability than Dicker. I think Gus will have spent a lot of time with Harley and sorting out his attitude and commitment to the team and next year could be a very good player for us. He's never going to be a blood and guts type player, just needs a bit more effort off the ball.

Dicker might have the commitment and team ethic, but I don't believe he's up to this level of football and don't think he's going to improve.

Therefore I'd rather take a risk on a player who could be fantastic, rather than keep someone who is at best mediocre for where we want to be next year

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Both of these statements are correct. Barnes first touch is miiles better than CMS'. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. Perhaps they actually don't understand that when his first touch is to cushion the ball five yards away (away from the guy stood on his heels) this is because he HAS controlled it succesfully, rather than the opposite...

CMS doesn't help himself by the fact that he tries to do EVERYTHING at 300MPH. It makes trapping a ball much harder.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The players who are put on the transfer list will attract a fee with interest from League 1 and League 2 clubs , if they hadn't been given a contract extension they would have left for nothing.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
That's wrong though. There are players in the squad, such as Barnes, whose level of performance and noticeable improvement over the course of the season, would give just cause to logically state that he should offer a big contribution next year.

With Harley, that's patently untrue. His best game was (his first?) against Sunderland, when their set up allowed him lots of time and space to pick a pass. He then scored a wonder goal against Peterborough, and his season tailed off quickly from there.

We'll have to agree to disagree then mate. I honestly think Barnes has been consistant throughout and I'm expecting that to continue. Unlikely Harley who I think showed his promise but then went off the boil. There is more to come from the lad imho.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It doesn't matter, I am right, I am always right, even my missus says so.. :D:D:D

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We'll have to agree to disagree then mate. I honestly think Barnes has been consistant throughout and I'm expecting that to continue. Unlikely Harley who I think showed his promise but then went off the boil. There is more to come from the lad imho.

Barnes has added all sorts to his game over the season.

Harley IS a talented player IF he is given time and space to play at his own pace (Dicker is much the same). Sadly it doesn't work like that, and for that reason, I'm out.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Barnes has added all sorts to his game over the season.

Harley IS a talented player IF he is given time and space to play at his own pace (Dicker is much the same). Sadly it doesn't work like that, and for that reason, I'm out.

Fair play. Time will tell!

Last edited:

tycoon0_0

Aug 3, 2011
Surprised no one has mentioned the slightly more pressing matter at hand that Bridcutt and Dunk will only have 1 year left on their contracts after the summer.

Two of the clubs most valuable assets. They may well move onto bigger and better things in the future but the club should make sure that if they do leave, it isn't on free transfers.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
I don't really understand why anyone would want a clear-out when the majority of these players were heroes of ours not so long ago. That doesn't mean they remain first-team regulars, but if they are happy to remain in the squad and look to prove themselves as decent enough to play, like Navarro has in disproving most of the doubtful minds of his talent, including mine, then great. There'll be some who simply have no place any more and the squad will need trimming to get more big fish in, but to look to delete 12 players, for instance, from our records, and gamble with their replacements, is ludicrous and idiotic. Painter, sadly, and Dicker, heartbreakingly, haven't quite been able to take the step up, but i don't believe they should be thrown away for one bad season, and certainly don't believe they are unable to progress. We'll obviously lessen ourselves of a couple of keepers. Harley we'll be mostly glad to see the back of if he tries hard enough to leave. Sparrow may want first-team football elsewhere. Other than those named there then i don't see any player who could be classed as calamitous by anyone but the most simpleminded.
Completely overhauling a squad who exceeded almost everyone's expectations robs us of progression, which should always be gradual, and never revolutionary. We'll have a team where almost everyone has Championship experience for a side who finished in the upper side of midtable. They sound pretty good to me and i'll be clapping each and every one of their names whomsoever is announced as starter for the first game next year. Long may or strides upwards continue, even if they shorten slightly.

I love this man!!

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
The Argus does not tell us who had their contract extended and by how long.

Or is the list only of players who HAVE had extensions?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The players who are put on the transfer list will attract a fee with interest from League 1 and League 2 clubs , if they hadn't been given a contract extension they would have left for nothing.

I think if Gus could get rid of them for nothing, a fair few would be out the door this week. It's been a huge mistake giving out 2 year contracts to a lot of them, and I doubt if we will be asking a fee for a fair few of them. He'll just want them out the door to free up wages.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Surprised no one has mentioned the slightly more pressing matter at hand that Bridcutt and Dunk will only have 1 year left on their contracts after the summer.

Two of the clubs most valuable assets. They may well move onto bigger and better things in the future but the club should make sure that if they do leave, it isn't on free transfers.

This is exactly why I think the great Nooney was given an extension to his contract...Cardiff interest/extend contract...= more transfer fee..
I think there might be a few surprises in the transfer market with at least ONE good signing coming in.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The Argus does not tell us who had their contract extended and by how long.

Or is the list only of players who HAVE had extensions?

I can't find a list of anyone that has had their contract extended...am I being incrediby thick?

Can someone post a link to the Argus site where this article can be found

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here