Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unpublicised extensions to contracts revealed by the Argus

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Going back to the OP. I'm surprised that Hoskins was only given a two year contract, bearing in mind that he cost a fair bit of money.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ankergren, Dicker and Painter are the only ones I really don't think are good enough to be in or around the squad so they would be 3 I'd definitely move on. I would be happy for anyone else to stay should we not be able to source better replacements, and that includes Harley.

I'm gobsmacked that anyone can rate Harley above Dicker. On what basis?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think these will be the ones that Gus will say you dont have much of a future with us.

Casper Ankergren
Gary Dicker
Marcos Painter
Michael Poke
Matt Sparrow

Tend to agree but it wouldn't surprise me if Gus offered something to Dicker and Sparrow.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm gobsmacked that anyone can rate Harley above Dicker. On what basis?

I do actually think Harley has more raw talent than Dicker (see: Phenomenal free kick vs. Peterboro). I would still rather Dicker of the two in my squad, though.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We are going to finish just outside the play-offs with the squad we have, the majority of which do not have much in the way of Championship experience. If we started next season with the exact same squad, would it be reasonable to expect them to finish a couple of places higher, now they all have a decent Championship season under their belts? I think it would.

So therefore, keeping the majority of the squad together, and adding five or six QUALITY new faces, seems like an EXTREMELY good tactic to me.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Harley is going to prove a lot of haters on here wrong next season. I'm certain. Without Vicente, we'll need someone who can cross/freekick/open the game up. I am 100% convinced Harley is good enough and I fully expect him to play an important role next season.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Noooooo, these guys are L1, thanks for the memories.

Think you could be right. Just thinking that Gus saw Dicker as the main player who understood how he wanted to play. Gus may think that GD was rushed back too quickly after injury. Sparrow wasn't playing too badly before his discipline and subsequent bans let him down.

If we are seriously going to launch a promotion bid next season, I would let them go..........but you never know with Gus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Tend to agree but it wouldn't surprise me if Gus offered something to Dicker and Sparrow.

I would prefer to keep Anks to Brez actually. I'd rather Anks get chucked in the deep end in a big game than Brez. Brez always looks shit scared in big games.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Harley is going to prove a lot of haters on here wrong next season. I'm certain. Without Vicente, we'll need someone who can cross/freekick/open the game up. I am 100% convinced Harley is good enough and I fully expect him to play an important role next season.

A post of real sense and logic, agree completely.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On the same basis that CMS is rated.much higher than Barnes, ... potential, skill, value.

Potential? Barnes age 22, CMS age 28. - BARNES
Skill? Barnes first touch has come on leaps and bounds since he joined us. He links up excellently with Vicente, who always looks for him. Barnes is a far more clinical striker. - BARNES
Value? CMS cost a LOT LOT more, so - CMS.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

A post of real sense and logic, agree completely.

You are perfectly entitled to agree that you THINK Harley might come good. To say it is LOGICAL is completely false though. There is nothing in what Harley has done in the last 12 months to logically extrapolate that he is due to magically improve next season.

That isn't to say he won't, just that the above scenario is based on nothing but hope.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You are perfectly entitled to agree that you THINK Harley might come good. To say it is LOGICAL is completely false though. There is nothing in what Harley has done in the last 12 months to logically extrapolate that he is due to magically improve next season.

That isn't to say he won't, just that the above scenario is based on nothing but hope.

I always thought Harley looked quality (as long as there were no opposition players within 10 yards of him).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

He doesn't need to improve ability wise at all. Just attitude and effort. He's clearly a very, very skilful player.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

While what you say is true, it could be said of everyone in the squad. I think a logical statement might be to say 'I've seen enough from Harley for me to conclude that if we adjust his role next season, he will flourish.' But of course, I'll begrudingly accept I'm not psychic!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He doesn't need to improve ability wise at all. Just attitude and effort. He's clearly a very, very skilful player.

Even if the first part of that is true (and I've long espoused the theory on here, that after The King, Harley has the best range of passing at the club), what about the second part? What possible LOGICAL reason is there to believe that his attitude and effort will be markedly different next time round. The hope that Harley comes good, is based on nothing but hope.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Barnes has more potential and skill than CMS though.

CMS has certainly not taken his opportunity agreed, same for Harley, but they both have heaps more ability than Barnes in either role, striker or midfield. I can't kick the flaming ball as far as Barnes controlls it. If Harley had been persevered with he would have been up there, but Gus was Barnes centric this year, I don't think that will be sustained next season imho

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here