Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

University of Brighton

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
Right I'm just wondering if anyone on here is currently at or has been at the university of brighton.

Basically i'm 17, exiled in Milton Keynes, and in the first year of my A-levels at the moment, thinking about coming to Brighton to live the student life when i've finished with the A-Levels (which would be in just under 2 years time)

I've been on the Uni's website and found some information on the courses i want and stuff like that, but i'm just wondering if any current or past students would recommend it or have any other info.

Cheers :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
which courses are you interested in?

Oct 25, 2003
i personally would find the city too expensive to be a student in

come to newcastle, its GRAND:love:

(i believe brighton is very good for business though)

GDC

In A Checked Shirt
Nov 7, 2006
On A Train
Go to Sussex.

Brighton is ok though, the girls are generally nicer.

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
hey guys thanks for the replies so far

I hadnt even begun to think about things like housing and cost of living etc!!

Tommy newcastles probs too far north for my liking lol!!

The other uni i've looked at for business related courses is Warwick, which is pretty damn good apprantly...and if i can get the grades i will probs go there. Not sure if i will though... 2 As and a B plus at least 2 Bs at AS level :eek:

But of course the fact that i would be able to see the Albion most weeks is a major selling point for Brighton (or Sussex)!!

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
tommy boy said:
brighton was voted the best city for students wasn't it?

great clubs and stuff

but it IS expensive

yep the nightlife etc is also a plus point!!

I'm choosing it for the all the right reasons.....football and the nightlife :lolol:

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Went to Brighton Uni but was at Falmer (walked through the stadium site for 4 years). used to share with a couple of others on business studies and I think it's still located at Mithras House. Nearest station is Moulsecomb. I found students at brighton Uni a bit more down to earth and less up your arse that the Sussex ones. The girls on the Business studies were quite tasty on the whole...go for it!!

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Techno said:
hey guys thanks for the replies so far

I hadnt even begun to think about things like housing and cost of living etc!!

Tommy newcastles probs too far north for my liking lol!!

The other uni i've looked at for business related courses is Warwick, which is pretty damn good apprantly...and if i can get the grades i will probs go there. Not sure if i will though... 2 As and a B plus at least 2 Bs at AS level :eek:

But of course the fact that i would be able to see the Albion most weeks is a major selling point for Brighton (or Sussex)!!

If you can get those grades don't even think about going to Brighton.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I've just started at Brighton Uni (cheapskate me!), and oddly enough i'm doing Business with Marketing.

Although as Fatboy says, if you can get a couple of A's then you can get in somewhere better then Brighton.

I don't really know what you want to know...but it seems pretty good to me so far. It's quite varied (Stats, Law, Accounts and Economics modules as well as Marketing). Teachers seem pretty good. All the Uni's I looked at needed around the 240-270 points brackets, but none seem to offer anything Brighton didn't.

The builiding is a bit ugly from the outside...but who really cares about that?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Techno said:
Oh yeah forgot that kinda important bit!!

Im lookin at Business Studies with Marketing

My brother is doing that i think and he seems to enjoy it.

As for the 'student life' bit, Brighton is definatly the place to be as ive been told by friends of mine who come to visit for a boozy weekend!

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
Withdean Wanderer said:
I've just started at Brighton Uni (cheapskate me!), and oddly enough i'm doing Business with Marketing.

Although as Fatboy says, if you can get a couple of A's then you can get in somewhere better then Brighton.

I don't really know what you want to know...but it seems pretty good to me so far. It's quite varied (Stats, Law, Accounts and Economics modules as well as Marketing). Teachers seem pretty good. All the Uni's I looked at needed around the 240-270 points brackets, but none seem to offer anything Brighton didn't.

The builiding is a bit ugly from the outside...but who really cares about that?

yeah thats kwl a varied course is what im lookin for i think, which is part of the reason im interested in Brighton because its got a course i really like the look of (business studies with marketing) at the few other places i've looked at, while maybe being 'better', i cant find a course i like the look of as much.

Would you say its better to go for a course u like the look of more or interests you more even if its at a 'worse' uni??

and yeah it said on brightons website that you need 240 points, which unless im mistaken is 3 Bs.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Techno said:

Would you say its better to go for a course u like the look of more or interests you more even if its at a 'worse' uni??

That ones up to you really.

But the way I look at it, Would you rather do 3/4 years in a course you aren't so keen on and come out with a 'better degree' which may lead to a good job in something you don't enjoy? Or do 3/4 years of something you find interesting and get a job in something you enjoy?

Out of interest, if you do apply to Brighton, will you be taking the job placement year?

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
Withdean Wanderer said:
That ones up to you really.

But the way I look at it, Would you rather do 3/4 years in a course you aren't so keen on and come out with a 'better degree' which may lead to a good job in something you don't enjoy? Or do 3/4 years of something you find interesting and get a job in something you enjoy?

Out of interest, if you do apply to Brighton, will you be taking the job placement year?

yep the placement year is another thing that looks realy good on the course. on their wbsite the list of companies that students have gone to in the past looked quite impressive.
And surely having a years experience in the real world of work would be a good thing to put on you're C.V. when you leave and go on to get a proper job.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
sneil said:
if you get the grades, go to sussex :p (then you'll be next to falmer stadium too!)

Thats what I thought when I applied to go there.

5 years ago :down:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
go to Sussex always feel that Brighton is the lesser of the two and that why i went to Sussex. Bloody nice campus as well, but Brighton has a better football team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here