Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

unison strike (binmen)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
whether or not i agree or disagree with their action, i'm thinking of taking my bin-bags down to the local council offices and dumping them there.

after all, i'm paying for em to be taken away within my community tax bill, aint my problem they're all on strike and my bloody bin aint big enough to cope with a strike.

i'm fed up with being charged money for services i dont use or get !!!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I nearly had to work at Bromley council tomorrow. They said that I wouldn't have to go untill after 11 so that I wouldn't have to cross the picket line. I was up for going earlier just to them a piece of my mind. Nobody at my company has had more than a 2% rise for the last five years, if they did it probably would've gone under but obviously that's not an issue when all your wages are coming from the bottomless pit of tax money. As far as I'm concerned the council workers can go f*** themselves. The job got cancelled in the end.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I take my rubbish to my girlfriends workplace.No recycling or wasting my time.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Stupid bastards the lot of them. Why is it that public sector workers think that, with their heavy pensions and cosy jobs, somehow the taxpayers in our country should fund them going through economic bad times without a scratch. We're all going to be hit a bit. f***ing get on with your job and stop making things worse. No f***ing work ethic. C*nts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nobody at my company has had more than a 2% rise for the last five years

nah, that cant be right? everyone outside the public sector gets a MASSIVE pay increase every year in addition to the HUGE pension contributions their employers endow upon them.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
How thick did they sound on the radio last night, complaining that their wages must be increased due to the credit crunch. So where is this money going to magically appear from then, how about redundances, then I bet they were glad they went on strike.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Brighton & Hove refuse (CityClean) are under the GMB union who are not striking. The strike is for Unison members which includes the likes of council admin staff, library, leisure centre and school support staff.

Get your facts right.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Put my bin bag out yesterday and it got collected, I don't think they're stopping.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
A percentage of Unison subscription fees are automatically donated to the Labour party. Unless of course a Unison member has filled out an opt out form. Ironic really.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Local authority workers piss me off nearly as much as the BBC who never question the "we are the lowest paid people in the country" twaddle that Unison keep throwing out.

They are NOT the lowest paid by a long f***ing way especially with their inflation proofed superannuation pensions and over-regulated working hours.

Come out and work in the private sector and find out what real life is like....no pay rises at all (bollocks to "we are bing asked to take a pay cut at 3%....we demand 5% so that, uniquely, our standard of living can rise")............minimum company contribution to a pension that won't be inflation proofed.

f*** off so its tough right now......take the hit that others have to take and stop taking the piss out of the people who pay your f***ing wages :censored: (rant over)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
To be honest when it comes to binmen I find it very hard to give any sympathy or support to them, lazy useless fuckers at the best of times.

Local authority workers piss me off nearly as much as the BBC who never question the "we are the lowest paid people in the country" twaddle that Unison keep throwing out.

They are NOT the lowest paid by a long f***ing way especially with their inflation proofed superannuation pensions and over-regulated working hours.

Come out and work in the private sector and find out what real life is like....no pay rises at all (bollocks to "we are bing asked to take a pay cut at 3%....we demand 5% so that, uniquely, our standard of living can rise")............minimum company contribution to a pension that won't be inflation proofed.

f*** off so its tough right now......take the hit that others have to take and stop taking the piss out of the people who pay your f***ing wages :censored: (rant over)

You are talking bollocks,

Unison has the highest proportion of the workforce on the minimum wage and the incremental levels above it, over regulated hours, if you get paid for a 40 hour week, cleaning floors, why on earth do you work more?

Perversely the low paid public sector staff also pay for the low wage private sector staff "top up wages" through income support, Council Benefits etc

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
as do millions more in the private sector who do not have the lifelong protection of a superannuation scheme that non-public sector employers could never match. ADD that to their wages and get the total package...not bollocks but a superior overall income.

How about giving up the pension advantage (as thousands in the private sector have had to do) and convert it into current wage?

No I thought not

but why? Don't be envious get yourself a better scheme.

Unless people are offered an incentive to work in the public sector why would they work there?

Ms LC can own perhaps a minimum £20 k more to go private!

But she believes in her work, its her social commitment. If the pension benefits were ripped away, she believes in having a secured future, the public sector would lose her and her skills.

Would her experience be replaced?

Perhaps yes, but not with so much knowledge and experience.

Don't deprive the public sector of hard working, commited individuals. If you believe it is so good get a job there!

I work in both, public and private. So I have a fair idea of the strengths and weaknesses of both, and when it gets to the big employers, the difference in service and wages for the majority is marginal, if any?

LC

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
untrue

choose where you want to be and what you want but don't blackmail the taxpayer after you have made your choice

if you want more money now and can find it then move on but beware...the risks of unemployment outside the public sector are much greater with redundancies on the increase.

if you want security for the future and the possibility of retiring earlier than many will be able to afford then stay put

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here