Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uni Toilets Changed

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I haven't seen it anywhere on here, but has anybody been listening to radio 2? A university (not sure if it was named) has now changed their toilets because of transgender students not knowing which one to go in. The women's is now called 'Toilets' and the men's has been changed to 'Toilets with urinals'

How absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I haven't seen it anywhere on here, but has anybody been listening to radio 2? A university (not sure if it was named) has now changed their toilets because of TransGender students not knowing which one to go in. The women's is now called 'Toilets' and the men's has been changed to 'Toilets with urinals'

How absolutely ridiculous.

I believe that this was in a Taiwanese institution, where transgendered students are much more common than in the Uk.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Public toilets are foul places!

They should simply label them:

This one stinks of piss and has drill holes in the cubicle walls

This one doesn't

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Manchester University students union. the idea is champion by some bint who has in the past apparently complained the phrase "Political Correctness gone mad" is discriminatry towards those with mental disabilites (ie mad). seems she missed the class on irony.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I believe that this was in a Taiwanese institution, where transgendered students are much more common than in the Uk.

No it was Manchester University after an unspecified number of complaints from transgendered students.......i think that probably means less than 5!

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
Do what Revenge nightclub does and have:
Male toilets
Female toilets
Unisex toilets

Bada-bing, sorted.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
sussex uni used to have unisex toilets in one of the bars... was a bit off putting trying to take a slash with a group of girls doing their makeup behind you.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This is strange, as an ex-Students' Union sabbatical officer myself I find this quite bizarre.

There is a lot of pressure on Students' Union's to be ultra-PC (and quite rightly too), however there is also a duty of care and legal responsibility upon the Trustees (ususally the sabbatical officers). Had this happened at my old Union, I would have blocked the move for two reasons:

1) Unisex toilets + alcohol = a lawsuit waiting to happen
-and-
2) What about Students from cultural minorities? I highly doubt that female (or in fact male) students from many cultural backgrounds would feel comfortable sharing their facilities with the opporsite sex. It seems the issues from one minority group (in this case transgendered students) have been prioritised over the needs of many other minority groups.

Strange.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
No it was Manchester University after an unspecified number of complaints from transgendered students.......i think that probably means less than 5!

Sorry - my bad. I was well aware that this is not uncommon in taiwan - very surprised (for the reasons in my above post) that it has happened in the UK.

This is strange, as an ex-Students' Union sabbatical officer myself I find this quite bizarre.

There is a lot of pressure on Students' Union's to be ultra-PC (and quite rightly too), however there is also a duty of care and legal responsibility upon the Trustees (ususally the sabbatical officers). Had this happened at my old Union, I would have blocked the move for two reasons:

1) Unisex toilets + alcohol = a lawsuit waiting to happen
-and-
2) What about Students from cultural minorities? I highly doubt that female (or in fact male) students from many cultural backgrounds would feel comfortable sharing their facilities with the opporsite sex. It seems the issues from one minority group (in this case transgendered students) have been prioritised over the needs of many other minority groups.

Strange.

At my other office, we have unisex toilets and also men and women's. Unisex has advantages it means you don't have to have so many toilets.

You have unisex at home, why not at work.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
At my other office, we have unisex toilets and also men and women's. Unisex has advantages it means you don't have to have so many toilets.

You have unisex at home, why not at work.

Fair point.

I am just surprised that a Students' Union (somewhere that always has to be ultra PC and inclusive of all minority groups) has prioritised one group of students over many others.

But, I understand, and actually agree with your point in general.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Why aren't the women's called 'toilets without urinal' and not just 'toilets'. Surely that's sexist?

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Fair point.

I am just surprised that a Students' Union (somewhere that always has to be ultra PC and inclusive of all minority groups) has prioritised one group of students over many others.

But, I understand, and actually agree with your point in general.

As always, because of the over the top PC nonsense, they are bending over backwards to please the minority, whilst excluding or making it harder for the majority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here