• No I cant work as I am ill/ or something else

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Yes I am working but worried about losing my job

Votes: 22 13.3%

• Total voters

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I have now been out of work for 6 months.Have been a retail manager for 12 years and just cant find any work.
Lots of my friends( yes I do have some :lolol:) are in the same boat.And of course there are no jobs at the jobcentre etc.

During the last downturn in 1992 most people still found work down here but this seems to be worse this time round.Just wanted to do a poll to see how many nsc users are in the same boat.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Graduated in July 2008, and still looking for work:nono:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Graduated in July 2008, and still looking for work:nono:

Its crazy and I feel sorry for you guys that have spent years studing to get a degree to get a job that is well paid and will benefit the country only to find their is none.

I have friends with degrees stacking shelves.cleaning etc (not that there is anything wrong with that) but who with their brains can do so much more.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
IT contractor. 'Resting' since end of November.

All the Artists Formerly Known As Blue Chip Clients In The Financial Sector have turned to total shit.

Just lovely :rolleyes:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The thing that really gets me down apart from the lack of cash and self-estem is that I can no longer sleep at night.I end up staying up to 4 or 5 in the morning then waking up at 12 or 1 in the afternoon.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Its crazy and I feel sorry for you guys that have spent years studing to get a degree to get a job that is well paid and will benefit the country only to find their is none.

I have friends with degrees stacking shelves.cleaning etc (not that there is anything wrong with that) but who with their brains can do so much more.

Just how it rolls I guess. I know plenty of friends who graduated and got decent jobs, but I also know plenty still on the dole.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The thing that really gets me down apart from the lack of cash and self-estem is that I can no longer sleep at night.I end up staying up to 4 or 5 in the morning then waking up at 12 or 1 in the afternoon.

I know the feeling! I try and get myself back in to a normal routine, but it doesn't last.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I know the feeling! I try and get myself back in to a normal routine, but it doesn't last.

The only time I sleep normal is when my kids stay over the weekend with me.I have tried what my GP told me walking,the gym etc but still I cant sleep.It drives me insane

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The thing that really gets me down apart from the lack of cash and self-estem is that I can no longer sleep at night.I end up staying up to 4 or 5 in the morning

I'm the same. The sleep thing, that is. Cash is for sure tighter, but have skipped the lack of self-esteem thing, as have realised that its the situation that is all f***ed up, rather than myself. Would suggest you try looking at it likewise.

Without wishing to sound like Frank, the one thing that does me head in more than anything is that while estate agents may have been temporarily neutered, recruitment consultants have gone the opposite way. They are now all-powerful. Every vacancy they put up in my line of work gets 200 applicants. Got absolutely no doubts re my performance in interviews. Have only ever failed one since I was 18, and that to an interviewer at Peckham Town Hall who couldn't understand the answers to questions I couldn't understand in the first place on account of, shall we say, no common accent. The only tricky bit at the moment is getting beyond the not-all-that recruitment consultant. Oh well.

Good luck mate, and keep your chin up. This shit won't last forever. Or if it does, just barricade yourself in your home like everybody else and force your morally and financially bankrupt bank to PHYSICALLY take it off you. If everybody did the same, they'd have to find a better way :thumbsup:

Last edited:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I'm the same. The sleep thing, that is. Cash is for sure tighter, but have skipped the lack of self-esteem thing, as have realised that its the situation that is all f***ed up, rather than myself. Would suggest you try looking at it likewise.

Without wishing to sound like Frank, the one thing that does me head in more than anything is that while estate agents may have been temporarily neutered, recruitment consultants have gone the opposite way. They are now all-powerful. Every vacancy they put up in my line of work gets 200 applicants. Got absolutely no doubts re interviews. Have only ever failed one since I was 18, and that to an interviewer at Peckham Town Hall who couldn't understand the answers to questions I couldn't understand in the first place on account of, shall we say, no common accent. The only tricky bit at the moment is getting beyond the not-all-that recruitment consultant. Oh well.

Good luck mate, and keep your chin up. This shit won't last forever. Or if it does, just barricade yourself in your home like everybody else and force your morally and financially bankrupt bank to PHYSICALLY take it off you. If everybody did the same, they'd have to find a better way :thumbsup:

Cheers Tom,
Good and wise words.I have a great family around me,and 3 healthy kids that think the world of me so I try and stay positive.
Every job I go for I get
A) No reply
or B) Told I am to over quailfied:shootself
Hope you find work soon as well.And some on this board are great I would love to go to the Albion more often but cant as cant afford it .One poster on here sold me his north stand ticket for just £5 and another gave me 4 tickets so I could take my brother and Son.So there are some very good people out there.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Like THPP, a 'resting' IT Contractor. Hoping the new financial new year might improve things.

D

Deleted User X18H

Resting Reinsurance Broker since July some freelance work arranged for end of April early May.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Employed doing the same job I've been doing for nearly 33 years, It frustrates the arse off me at times but looking at how other people are struggling to find work it makes me feel grateful to have some kind of job security.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I still have a job but have just been told that my contract is being changed to work fewer hours - for a lot less money. I'm lucky to keep my job, I suppose, but things are going to be tight for a while.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Journeyman IT Contractor who finished a job last week. Actually the worst company I have ever worked for and that's saying a lot. For various reasons I think I could be out of work for a while not the least for the fact (as published this week) that there are over 35,000 non EEC workers employed here in the IT profession. Obviously a situation not unique to IT.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
good luck to all the above,i hated being unemployed back in the early 90s it was only for a month,i got on a course re trained as a floorlayer and have been lucky ever since.However my knees wont last forever............cross that bridge later (maybe i will be crawling).......chin up fellas.....

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Have about half the work I had a year ago. Working hard at getting more. Have spoken to recruitment people and THPP is completely correct - some of them are great but some are a bloody disgrace. They don't reply, don't read your CV and when they do they don't do it properly. If they do reply it's a cut & shut thing. Clients are not being well served by many of these people.

But I stay positive.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Have about half the work I had a year ago. Working hard at getting more. Have spoken to recruitment people and THPP is completely correct - some of them are great but some are a bloody disgrace. They don't reply, don't read your CV and when they do they don't do it properly. If they do reply it's a cut & shut thing. Clients are not being well served by many of these people.

But I stay positive.

Sorry to say it but it's quite true about recruitment consultants however, from their point of view business isn't great either. These people work on commission and thus don't have the time to sort through all the CVs they receive. You also have to factor in that they have to deal with Human Resources teams who are so often utterly clueless. The HR department picks up a few buzz words from what ever industry they are looking for and then tend to ignore an individuals background. I get ignored because of my experience (too much for many) and the fact that I am a contractor. I only contract as it's better than not working at all however you can seriously messed about because an agent will tell you anything to get you working. I packed in my last two contracts because both agents were complete idiots. They were extreme but in fairness there's usually two sides.

My big gripe at the moment is that the last three times I have started work and the Job Centre have completely screwed up my benefits and in fact owe me several hundred pounds. Despite telling them repeatedly by letter, phone and visit it was only when I told them I intended to take legal action that they did anything. What's so ironic is that the letter they sent to me proved that they were in the wrong ! I find that far more annoying than any recruitment agent.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Freelancing at a radio station in Hastings (well, there is only one!) until the job doesn't exist any more, which is likely to be a month or so from now. And after that I don't know, am applying for jobs but I'm finding as other people are that there's just so many people going for everything. Not quite what I signed up for when deciding to do a degree and a postgrad....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here