Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Undisclosed fees

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I really hate this practice.

Why do we, the supporters of this club(and the supporters of any other club), not have the right to know what we are actually spending on players.

Shouldn't we know if Bergy is costing us £5k, £50k, £500k?

I don't expect to know what wages we are paying, but shouldn't we know transfer fees?

Did Buckley really cost £1m? Fee was non-disclosed so could be anything. These values all end up being speculated and could be miles wide of the mark.

I'm not picking on our club specifically, I think the whole system needs more traceability.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I don't think its relevant for the club to tell us or not. The only thing the average fan uses transfer fees for is to boast to their mates how much the clubs spent.

We're not shareholders or anything so why does it matter.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I really hate this practice.

Why do we, the supporters of this club(and the supporters of any other club), not have the right to know what we are actually spending on players.

Shouldn't we know if Bergy is costing us £5k, £50k, £500k?

I don't expect to know what wages we are paying, but shouldn't we know transfer fees?

Did Buckley really cost £1m? Fee was non-disclosed so could be anything. These values all end up being speculated and could be miles wide of the mark.

I'm not picking on our club specifically, I think the whole system needs more traceability.

Why do you specifically want to know?

maidstoneseagull

Jul 21, 2004
Maidstone
So other clubs don't know how much we are spending and vice versa how much we may have to spend. I like to know but you can understand the impact it may have if we bid for someone at another club and they know we've just received x amount from another club.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I sort of agree, but I can see why it happens.

When Stephen Thompson signed for us, the fee was undisclosed because his old club didn't want to tell the fans that they had let him go for free. Similarly, if we are splashing the cash, we don't want to alert other clubs to this as it may cause them to raise their asking price if we come in for a player.

I agree that it is interesting to know transfer prices, but don't agree that fans should have a right to know.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Why do you specifically want to know?

Because I'm nosy, because it's 'our' money being spent, to know if a club is 'doing a pompey', to see if a club has overpaid for a player (in my opinion), to do a comparison between players X and Y, to know about things like sell on fees, why not?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So other clubs don't know how much we are spending and vice versa how much we may have to spend. I like to know but you can understand the impact it may have if we bid for someone at another club and they know we've just received x amount from another club.

A little naive, it would be common knowledge within the inner sanctum of football people !

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Do you really think other clubs/agents don't already know what clubs are spending?

We got a rep in the media last season as a big spending club, if we had actually released some of the transfer values, that tag may not have stuck.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
do you have the right to know how much your publican paid for his tenancy? unless your a share holder its, not actually any of your business.

Do you really think other clubs/agents don't already know what clubs are spending?

We got a rep in the media last season as a big spending club, if we had actually released some of the transfer values, that tag may not have stuck.

so then the people who matter would know anyway and the media perception would be meaningless to them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because I'm nosy, because it's 'our' money being spent, to know if a club is 'doing a pompey', to see if a club has overpaid for a player (in my opinion), to do a comparison between players X and Y, to know about things like sell on fees, why not?

Right - and if you're the selling club? It's not your money, is it?

It's a financial transaction between two parties - neither of whom are you. Your opinion (as to whether someone has overpaid) counts for f*** all in that instance.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

It's a financial transaction between two parties - neither of whom are you. Your opinion (as to whether someone has overpaid) counts for f*** all in that instance.

Like we had no right to know how much the Goldstone Ground was sold for?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Fine .... so why are most transfer fees common knowledge ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's going to become the norm, IMO, except for high profile signings where it is in both clubs interests to announce just how much was paid.

I've come to accept that they are fairly meaningless these days because: a) the significant cost is the wages and b) The transfer fee itself is likely to be smaller than hoped because the player can always just see out his contract and then move where he wants without a fee changing hands.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

It has nothing to do with you, why on earth should they tell you. Would you print your bank statements on here and show us your pay slip ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
A decision taken between parties. Some like to reveal them, some don't.

Either way, our right to know isn't written in stone.

I agree, however with the majority of transfers fees being offered for public consumption, I think at times an 'undisclosed fee' can lead to unnecessary speculation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here