Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Under rated actors

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
John Cusack is quality - rarely see him in a bad film (although Con Air was a blot on his copybook, admittedly). What he was doing in that mess of a film, I have no idea.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
John Cusack?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh bugger, Easy got there first. But I agree with you Easy, he is quality.

Jul 20, 2003
Gene Hackman may have best actor and best supporting actor Oscas but doesn't get anthing like the coverage of many other actors and for my money is far more gifted than the 'look at us, WE'RE ACTING' likes of Pacino and Deniro

Hackman's range is incredible - could Pacino take on a comedy role ever seen Deniro's attempts?

qv Royal Tenenbaums & Get Shorty,

add to that his performances in The Conversation, Bonny and Clyde, Missisipi Burning, Unforgiven, French Connection I&II, Crimson Tide and just about everything else he's ever appeared in

Member of the Gene Hackman Fanclub

Jul 20, 2003
Easy 10 said:
John Cusack is quality - rarely see him in a bad film (although Con Air was a blot on his copybook, admittedly). What he was doing in that mess of a film, I have no idea.

along with John Malkovich, Nicholas Cage & Steve Buscemi!!!

I think they all just thought it would be a bit of a laugh

Jul 20, 2003
Can't disagree with Bill Murray, genius

as was

mitchum.jpg

The recent book about Mitcham, 'Baby I Don't Care" is the best biog I've ever read

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tommy Lee Jones and Nicolas Cage

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
pevenseagull said:
along with John Malkovich, Nicholas Cage & Steve Buscemi!!!

I think they all just thought it would be a bit of a laugh
Absolutely.
John Cusack and Nicholas Cage are guilty of one of the most toe-curlingly horrendous pieces of dialogue in Con Air that I have ever heard, in any film, ever.

Cusack: "So whaddya you gonna do ?"
Cage: "Whaddya think I'm gonna do ? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day"

*cringe*

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
But loads of these actors - Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Nicolas Cage, John Cusack etc - have been Oscar nominated! That hardly makes them under-rated does it?

Under-rated is someone who has never been rated by their peers or the public.

Jul 20, 2003
That's it, I'm sold. I'm gonna watch Con Air tonight with a curry and a few tins, Lawrence of Arabia will have to wait for a rainy bank holiday.

Jul 20, 2003
Lush said:
But loads of these actors - Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Nicolas Cage, John Cusack etc - have been Oscar nominated! That hardly makes them under-rated does it?

Under-rated is someone who has never been rated by their peers or the public.

OK then:

Alec Baldwin - anyone who's seen Glengarry Glen Ross will know what I mean. Cameo role but as memorable a performance as Pacino, Spacey, Alan Arkin, Ed Harris, Jack Lemmon or Jonathan Pryce.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Timothy Spall is a top actor.

One of my favourites, and British too is Martin Clunes, not quite pin up material like most of the Americans listed above in fact his mug has a more lived in and weather beaten look to it. I am not talking about his comedy men behaving badly or William and Mary roles but the serious stuff. A couple of Christmases back he starred in Goodbye Mr Chips and delivered what had to be the best performance by a modern actor in a made for TV drama in years, it was for me the cream on top of the usual seasonal dross. I would love to see him offered parts in a few more quality dramas, when given a decent role he delivers with aplomb.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Kenneth Brannagh. Although I think he has an Oscar, or has been nominated, Conspiracy was the best TV film I have ever seen.

Other than him the if I see something satrring any of the cast from Our Friends In The North, it usually is a must see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here