Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Under pressure

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Would you be most under pressure if you were
a) 1-0 up goinginto the home leg
b) 1-0 down going into the away leg.

Swindon seem to think it is (a). What do you think?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
good question - I was worrying about this, this morning.

2 things - can we play better as underdogs, or can we build on a lead?

I reckon we're far better off than Swindon - I'm much happier going in with a lead....which we can increase!! :clap:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
defo b.

I think MM's strategy would be play to win regardless of the away result. He did say he would accept a 1 goal deficit either way for the home game. Spot on.

But Robbo you are also correct.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I don't think there's any pressure on us at all.. Swindon are the ones that NEED to score and as we all know our defensive record at home speaks for itself. The only question is this...

Do we sit back and soak up the pressure for the first 20 mins before pushing forward or do we fight fire with fire and try and get the early goal first?

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Muzzman said:
I don't think there's any pressure on us at all..

I disagree there to be honest, everyone is expecting a win because we are at home, but it counts for nothing all we have is a one goal lead all Swindon need is a dodgy penalty and a slip up by our defence and then we're out of it.

Robbo

Bobby's Gull said:
I disagree there to be honest, everyone is expecting a win because we are at home, but it counts for nothing all we have is a one goal lead all Swindon need is a dodgy penalty and a slip up by our defence and then we're out of it.

And that's assuming that both of those things happen (which is possible, but improbable) and we don't score. I don't know the stats are, and possibly risk a flaming, but how many games this season have we failed to score at home?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In the end, we are under no pressure to score a goal unless they do.

It means if Guy Butters lumps high ball after high ball toward enormous Leon Knight, it really doesn't matter as long as we don't concede.
It means that if we get a free kick in their half, we don't need to pile men forward in a desperate attempt to score a goal, as long as we haven't conceded at the other end.
It means we don't need to risk playing four up front if it's still 0-0 after 70 minutes.
It means we don't need to risk anyone for the whole 90/120 minutes if they have a slight knock.
It means that - in a 0-0 game of few chances - our season is not about to end if our star striker puts a routine header about 4 feet wide from 2 yards out.

Nope, I'm struggling to see how a 1-0 win AWAY from home can possibly be a bad thing.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
Robbo said:
And that's assuming that both of those things happen (which is possible, but improbable) and we don't score. I don't know the stats are, and possibly risk a flaming, but how many games this season have we failed to score at home?

I just think that we are taking all this stat crap for granted, anything can happen on thursday and that doesn't exclude us getting beat.

Oldham and Rushden we failed to score and we have relied on Leon's penalties to get us through the games too.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am not bothered we will get the right result.

The most interesting thing about the play-offs has been our total lack of comment.

Yes we won on Sunday but no mass celebration from the players totally low key and mentality of "job half done".

Give me MM to "Comical King" any day of the week.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
We know that Thursday won't be a walk-over. We know that Swindon are a useful side, and we know that they are going to try and come at us. We know that it is going to be an edge-of-the-seat game. We know what we have to do. We know what Swindon need to do, and what they'll be desperate to do.

Pressure on both sides I think, but less on us. Just relax boys, and do what you usually do at Withdean.

Robbo

Bobby's Gull said:
I just think that we are taking all this stat crap for granted, anything can happen on thursday and that doesn't exclude us getting beat.

Oldham and Rushden we failed to score and we have relied on Leon's penalties to get us through the games too.

All fair points. I'm not relying on the stat crap either, the game 2moro is a one off, and as curious orange says, albion will treat it like a one off.

The FACT that we have not conceeded for the last six games is encouraging tho, don't you agree? Of course, we are not insoluble at the back, but recently the back four and Roberts have been superb, even if we did ride our luck at Swindon!

The FACT that we have only failed to score in TWO home games is also encouraging, wouldn't you agree?

Leon's penalties still count on the scoresheet, and generally if we do get penalties, that's because the opposition have breached the laws of the game, to try and gain an advantage by means of wrong doing.

Now don't get me wrong, i am not relying on the FACTS stated above, i am merely saying that this IS encouraging. We must not forget that Swindon have a very good away record, and have the best strike partnership in the division when is comes to scoring.

After all that, it's a play off, anything could happen, we should not rule out ANYTHING!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here