• I wasn't even born then

Votes: 19 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
October 1973 - Brighton & Hove Albion 0 York City 0

It was the start of my love affair with BHAFC, Brighton were struggling in the old third division with average crowds of 5000 and a certain Mr Brian Clough was appointed by Brighton's greatest ever chairman Mike Bamber. Clough had had a disasterous 44 day tenure at Derby County FC after his Nottingham Forest glory days and somehow Bamber managed to secure the signature of Old Big Mouth and he brought along with him as his right hand man Mr Peter Taylor.

The game was previewed on Grand Stand at 12.30 pm and almost wetting myself with excitement my Dad finally relented and agreed to take me.

16000 turned up, over 3 times the average gate. The game was pants really 0-0 but I was hooked. Clough revived and totally changed the side and we went on a great run finishing mid table. Clough and Taylor had laid the foundations of BHAFC's incredible rise at that moment. Clough left in the summer and Taylor took over and the rest is the start of a glorious chapter in the history of BHAFC.

Were you there ???

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
November 1973

I was 14 and at the stage where my Mum & Dad would let me go to games if I was with my mates.

It seemed unbelievable that BRIAN CLOUGH was the manager of our club.

We actually finished the season in the same position as when Clough took over (19th) and the 'great run' included a 4-0 HOME defeat by Walton & Hersham and an 8-2 HOME defeat by Bristol Rovers

Great times though

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Thing is I was born then. I would have been ONE year old! But then again I didnt support the albion at that age as I would still have been in nappies!!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No...lived in Wiltshire then and had never heard of Brighton

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I spent the years between 1971 and 1986 in North America and the only Albion game I saw during that period was the Cup Final.

Kept up with results during those years mostly by getting copies of the English papers off inbound aircraft (Iwas working for British Caledonian).

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was there! Actually I think the previous game before Clough's appointment was better. Memory might be playing tricks but I think we beat Southport 4-0 and there was demonstration afterwards demanding that the old manager (Pat Saward) be re-instated! I'm sure as a die-hard McGhee fan you would have approved U.S.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I didn't go. I was THREE. :badlittlefan:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I certainly remember all the fuss about Cloughie's appointment, although I only 10 at the time.

I don't specifically recall being at this game, but it is very likely as we went to most games at that time.

That was the era of standing underneath the North West corner pylon... with Dad and 2 older brothers.

:ascarf:

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Uncle Spielberg said:
October 1973 - Brighton & Hove Albion 0 York City 0

Clough had had a disasterous 44 day tenure at Derby County FC after his Nottingham Forest glory days and somehow Bamber managed to secure the signature of Old Big Mouth and he brought along with him as his right hand man Mr Peter Taylor.

I was living away at the time but remember it being amazing that we could attract such a big name.

Something though is wrong above, he left Derby came to us and then had 44 days at Leeds before Forest.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
me too..that was the season I started following the Albion... with my dad and two brothers

Last edited:

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Yep, me too.

Remember Cloughy taking a bow sitting in the West Stand before the game.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hiney said:
November 1973

I was 14 and at the stage where my Mum & Dad would let me go to games if I was with my mates.

It seemed unbelievable that BRIAN CLOUGH was the manager of our club.

We actually finished the season in the same position as when Clough took over (19th) and the 'great run' included a 4-0 HOME defeat by Walton & Hersham and an 8-2 HOME defeat by Bristol Rovers

Great times though

I am pretty sure we did a lot better than you make out. In the words of Brian Clough, " we may well disagree , we will sit down and talk about it and then agree I was right " :angry:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Uncle Spielberg said:
I am pretty sure we did a lot better than you make out. In the words of Brian Clough, " we may well disagree , we will sit down and talk about it and then agree I was right " :angry:

After a dodgy start, we had a good run up to the end of March, rising to 9th, but we fell away at the end to finish 19th, 8 points clear of relegation.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
AND THAT IS THE END OF THE MATTER :angry:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Hiney said:
After a dodgy start, we had a good run up to the end of March, rising to 9th, but we fell away at the end to finish 19th, 8 points clear of relegation.

POPPYCOCK :angry:

Show me the proof young man :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here