Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ulloa-second string to his bow?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He comes back to defend the set pieces. Does the same as CMS but covers half the distance.

Dec 29, 2011
Been impressed with his defensive work at the Amex too, especially against Hull and Arsenal. His hold up play is exceptional, great touch and can head well. Still think we need to play another guy upfront with him, I don't know what it is (positioning or finishing) but it doesn't look like he's an out and out goal scorer, more of a linking man. I guess time will tell.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ulloa wins a LOT of defensive headers, much like Barnes. I noticed that his orders at corners (defending) are more or less: screw marking anyone and just go straight for the ball. This is what he does and always gets to the headers first because he's not fannying about wrestling with an attacker.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ulloa wins a LOT of defensive headers, much like Barnes. I noticed that his orders at corners (defending) are more or less: screw marking anyone and just go straight for the ball. This is what he does and always gets to the headers first because he's not fannying about wrestling with an attacker.

Marvellous turn of phrase there sir! :bravo:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
His hold up play is excellent, whereas CMS is always hoping a defender will miss a high ball so he can run onto it. This may work a fair bit in League One but in the Championship it usually causes us to lose possession with a return rate of about once every ten games.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Watched the match via jerky stream & listened via radio with ten second delay:mad: but thought at the time Ulloa was putting in a shift defensively.
Just looked at some great photo's of him helping out at the back from a Cardiff fan @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/joncandy/s...4323/show/
He looks to have settled in pretty well - plus two goals so far :drink:

Those pics show how high Ulloa jumps compared to other players around him. I think we will see a lot more from him, both defensively and hopefully a lot more goals.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Watched the match via jerky stream & listened via radio with ten second delay:mad: but thought at the time Ulloa was putting in a shift defensively.
Just looked at some great photo's of him helping out at the back from a Cardiff fan @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/joncandy/s...4323/show/
He looks to have settled in pretty well - plus two goals so far :drink:

Not all centre forwards make good centre backs, only a select few eh Simmo?

D

Deleted member 2719

He comes back to defend the set pieces. Does the same as CMS but covers half the distance.

And being able to kill the ball with one touch and not three helps.:)

He is looking good and exactly the player we have needed for 18 months.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Worked very hard in Cardiff, but to be fair seen that in his other games for us too. Not quite as much headless chicken up front as CMS but no striker in the world puts in the same shift as CMS do they? Would say Ulloa is deffo one of the harder working forwards in the league, country etc. He needs that balance so he doesn't run out of steam when he's run 40 yards and gets the ball in the box, but every striker who runs and puts in a shift has to balance that up....... and so far so very good

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Steve Foster also started out as a striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here