• No

Votes: 47 72.3%
  • I don't give a shite

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No point, waste of money, and not compulsory. Genius. Sooner this lot call an election the better.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I thought it would be alot more expensive than £30, especially seeing as what they charge for passports nowdays!

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I thought it would be alot more expensive than £30, especially seeing as what they charge for passports nowdays!

I think £30 is just what we pay. The Government pay for the rest, what ever that is. Obviously we pay for this part too, but you know what I mean!

"supporters" got this email, to keep them up to speed...
(no joke!)

All this for £30?
Not only will the identity card make life easier and help protect us, it will cost less than a passport or a driving licence - and you won't have to take any lessons or pass any tests to get one. You just have to be an eligible British citizen over the age of 16.

All in all, we think you'll find £30 for an identity card great value, whether you need it for leisure, work or everyday proof-of-identity. And in the initial roll-out, we'll even take your photograph for you, so there's nothing extra for you to pay there.

Imagine: a card that's recognised and accepted everywhere, fits nicely in your wallet AND gets you through European borders. Not bad for the price. You'll wonder how you ever managed without it !

Ten classic films about identity

The issue of identity has been played out on the silver screen countless times over the years. In fact, it's one of Hollywood's favourite subjects. Warning!! Plot spoiling information ahead.

The Bourne Identity
Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) is dredged out of the sea by fishermen, but he's suffering from amnesia and has no idea who he is. It takes the whole film and two lucrative sequels to sort the mess out. Bourne has his bank account details implanted in his hip, which is going a bit far to protect your personal data, but then he is a secret agent worth $30 million.
Best line (the last lines of the film). Marie: 'Do you have ID?' Bourne: 'Not really.'

The Usual Suspects
Nobody is too sure what happens in this film. Not even the actors. A boat explodes killing 27 men and the cops arrest a limping con man called Verbal Kint (Kevin Spacey). Verbal tells the story of legendary Turkish criminal Keyser Soze, who he says is responsible for the deaths, but the twist in the tale comes at the very end, when the true identity of Soze is revealed.
Best line. Verbal: 'A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself.'

North By Northwest
Roger O. Thornhill (Cary Grant) is mistaken for a spy. He's then mistaken for a murderer, gets attacked by a gunman in a crop spraying bi-plane and nearly falls off Mount Rushmore. It's all very tense. He gets the girl in the end, though, and the audience is left to puzzle over the Byzantine plot, which requires several viewings to fully digest.
Best line. Art auction bidder to Thornhill: 'You're no fake. You're a genuine idiot.'

The Big Lebowski
There are two Jeffrey Lebowskis. One is a millionaire whose wife owes money to a couple of thugs and the other is 'The Dude' (Jeff Bridges), who doesn't have a wife. Or a job. Or money. Or any ambition beyond going bowling. The thugs get the two Lebowskis mixed up, leading to a hilarious kidnapping plot and a hatful of surreal scenes.
Best line. The Dude: 'I'm not Mr Lebowski. You're Mr Lebowski. I'm the Dude.'

Tootsie
Unemployed actor Michael Dorsey (Dustin Hoffman) passess himself off as a woman to win a bit part in a TV soap opera. But "Dorothy Michaels" is such a hit in the role of Emily Kimberly that Michael/Dorothy is elevated to a lead role and finds him/herself on the cover of every magazine in the land. Cue plenty of confusion and plenty of comedy.
Best line. Michael/Dorothy: 'I'm proud and lucky and strong enough to be the woman that was the best part of my manhood.'

Superman I, II, III, IV
Clark Kent (Christopher Reeve), mild-mannered reporter at the Daily Planet, has a secret identity. He's actually a flying superhero in a skin-tight blue suit and a red cape called Superman, who is the scourge of criminal masterminds plotting to take over the world. Clark/Superman's ID switcheroo is a source of bother for him, but it's nice to see a double identity being a vehicle for good for a change.
Best line. Clark [in Superman's voice]: Lois, there's something I have to tell you. I'm really...'

The Talented Mr Ripley
Mr Ripley (our friend Matt Damon again) is a toilet attendant whose talents include forgery, lying and deception. He pretends to know the son of the wealthy Herbert Greenleaf and is dispatched to bring the errant son home from Italy, but Ripley kills Greenleaf Jnr, assumes his identity, and commits lots of very nasty murders to try to hang on to his new wealthy lifestyle.
Best line. Ripley: 'I always thought it would be better to be a fake somebody than a real nobody.'

Being John Malkovich
Craig Schwartz (John Cusack) finds a portal into the head of John Malkovich (er, John Malkovich). It's hidden behind a filing cabinet at his office. Beyond the portal, you get 15 minutes inside the famous actor's head and Craig's co-worker tries to make money out of this wry take on identity theft. The tagline for this 1999 oddball comedy was 'Ever Wanted To Be Someone Else?'.
Best line. Craig: 'Am I in his brain? Am I him? Is he me? Does he know I'm here? My brain is reeling! Is his brain reeling?'

Freaky Friday
One Friday (it's a freaky one), a mother and her teenage daughter wake to find they've switched identities. Mom has to cope with high school and the daughter finds herself running the house, all with rib-tickling consequences. Three versions of the film have been made, the 1976 original starring Jodie Foster and the 2003 adaptation featuring Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan.
Best line. Mother and daughter, simultaneously: 'I wish I could switch places with her for just one day.'

Catch Me If You Can
Based on the true story of Frank Abagnale Jr, who impersonated a doctor at a Georgia hospital, an assistant attorney general for the state of Louisiana and a PanAm airline pilot, clocking up two million free miles and cashing $4 million worth of fraudulent cheques along the way. And he did it all before his 19th birthday. Leonardo DiCaprio stars and Steven Spielberg directs.
Best line. Abagnale: 'I mean, you'd love me whether I was sick or whether I was poor or even if I had a different name.'

We'd love you to tell us what films would be in your top ten about identity. Email us now !

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Given the growing problem of identity fraud and the inconvenience of having to carry passports, coupled with gas bills or six months worth of bank statements to prove identity, I believe the ID card will be welcomed as an important addition to the many plastic cards that most people already carry

Yeah, I really *HATE* taking along a gas bill... jesus wept. I will most certainly only go on that nanny state database at the very last possible opportunity.

Whilst I don't have a problem with the card per se I honestly can't see the point and feel it would have absolutely zilch effect on "Global Terrorism" or whatever it is we are all supposed to be afraid of this week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the ID card database has already been binned, this is just a face saving exercise and probably just uses up money already spent on the project.

in an interesting analysis of the ID card scheme it was highlighted that the "biometric" part which was required by US immigration and adopted in EU law is covered by the simple inclusion of a digital photograph in the imbedded chip in your passport - already implemented. the whole ID card thing has been an utter sham.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that an ID should be mandatory for all people in UK and personally have no objection to it at all other than the fact that I dont think that it should be chargeable. I think you should just supply the required information and paperwork and it be issued FOC and renewable every 10 years again FOC.

Just as a thought could it not be issued in conjunction with a passport as a secondary card so that one could carry that in a wallet rather than a passport for ID in this country.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I believe that an ID should be mandatory for all people in UK and personally have no objection to it at all other than the fact that I dont think that it should be chargeable. I think you should just supply the required information and paperwork and it be issued FOC and renewable every 10 years again FOC.

Just as a thought could it not be issued in conjunction with a passport as a secondary card so that one could carry that in a wallet rather than a passport for ID in this country.

Why should I have to prove who I am? Do you think for one minute this will stop any kind of wrong doing? Do you have any evidence that this or any Government could run this scheme properly? Do you have any evidence that Goverment depts. can be trusted with personal data? How can something Government funded be described as FOC?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I believe that an ID should be mandatory for all people in UK and personally have no objection to it at all other than the fact that I dont think that it should be chargeable. ...

or as an upgraded replacement of the NI card we are all automatically issued at 16. thats the funny thing, there is an effective ID card in place, we just dont use it as such. stick photo on it, job done. but the "ID Card Scheme" was never about the actual ID card, it was about the massive database to sit behind it and the distribution of readers to scan your card at any given moment. The government saw what the corporate world does with loyalty cards, realised its jolly usfull and wanted something similar with extra bonus features for police, council, DSS, [insert every other govenrment organisation] to use too.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A completely ill thought-out and ludicrously expensive waste of our money from this bunch of liberty stealing, war-mongering incompetents. ID Cards, they can shove it!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I don't have a problem with the card, but I have a massive problem with having to pay for a card which I am forced to have.

I don't mind paying for a passport or driving license, because that is my choice. I think it is unfair in the extreme that I will one day be forced to pay for an ID card, that I have to have in order to comply with the law of the land. Whatever next?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have never seen a problem with it personally.

It would have saved my mother in law £42 had it been available earlier this year as she had to get a passport to go to Jersey and she had no other photo ID.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
There is nothing wrong with the idea of an ID card, we do however have them already with Passports, Birth certificates, Driving licence etc.

The you hear things like this:

Government's record year of data loss - Telegraph

A record 37 million items of personal data went missing last year, new research reveals.

Once someone has stolen you're ID card and made it their own, how do you ever get your ID back?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here