Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK Employment / Immigration Law

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Today at work we have received a UK wide mail to all employees stating they must prove they have the right to work in the UK.

We must bring identification proving we have the right and it must be seen by your line manager then photo copied and then counter signed by your line manager and sent to HR.

What on earth is this all about as my company claims this is a new law ?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
New one on me. I know it is illegal to employ someone who does not have the right to live and work in the UK, but I have not heard that all current employees have to prove that they are allowed.

I can only think that they are covering themselves since a recent law change makes it easier to prosecute those companies that break the law.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Yes Beachy

Our whole company had to do this last year and the new legislation when i interview, offer a job etc is mind boggling!!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Covering themselves because they are liable.

Employees only have to do checks on staff employed after 27 January 1997 (I think)

It's quite straightforward.

PROOF OF RIGHT TO WORK IN THE UK
LIST OF ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTATION

To comply with the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 (as amended), before you begin working, you must supply original documentation proving that you have a right to work in the United Kingdom (UK). This may be either:

- ONE document from List 1, below; or

- TWO documents from List 2, below, which must include a document giving your permanent National Insurance (NI) number and name; or

- TWO documents from List 3, below, which must include a work permit or other approval to take employment that has been issued by Work Permits UK.

The appropriate original documentation should be supplied as soon as possible to the person who sent you this letter. Copies are not acceptable so, if you are unable to deliver your documentation in person, you are advised to use recorded delivery. In this case, please indicate whether you require documents to be returned immediately, or if you would prefer to collect them when you start work. If you have any queries about this process, or about the documentation required, please contact the person who sent you this letter.

List 1
• A passport showing that you are a British citizen, or have a right of abode in the UK.
• A national passport or national identity card showing that you are a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country 1 or of Switzerland.
• A residence permit issued by the UK showing that you are a national of an EEA country 1 or of Switzerland.
• A passport or other document issued by the Home Office which has an endorsement stating that you have a current right of residence in the UK as the family member of a national of an EEA country 1 or of Switzerland who is resident in the UK.
• A passport or other travel document endorsed to show that you can stay indefinitely in the UK, or have no time limit on your stay.
• A passport or other travel document endorsed to show that you can stay in the UK, and that, if you do not have a work permit, you are allowed to do the type of work that the University is offering you.
• An Application Registration Card issued by the Home Office to an asylum seeker stating that you are permitted to take employment.

List 2
• A document giving your permanent National Insurance Number and name. This could be: a P45 or P60 issued by a previous employer, a National Insurance card, or a letter from a relevant Government Agency 2. (Please note that temporary NI numbers (beginning with TN), and numbers ending in a letter from E to Z inclusive, are not valid for this purpose.)

TOGETHER WITH ANY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

• A full birth certificate issued in the UK, which includes the names of your parents.
• A birth certificate issued in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or Ireland.
• A certificate of registration or naturalisation stating that you are a British Citizen.
• A letter issued to you by the Home Office indicating that you can stay indefinitely in the UK, or have no time limit on your stay.
• An Immigration Status document issued to you by the Home Office with an endorsement indicating that you can stay indefinitely in the UK, or have no time limit on your stay.
• A letter issued to you by the Home Office indicating that you can stay in the UK and that you are allowed to do the type of work that you are being offered.
• An Immigration Status document issued to you by the Home Office with an endorsement indicating that you can stay in the UK and that you are allowed to do the type of work that you are being offered.

Note that if for any reason the name given on the two documents that you supply is not identical, you will also need to supply a third original document to explain the reason for the difference. This could be a marriage certificate, divorce document, deed poll, adoption certificate, or statutory declaration.

List 3
• A work permit or other approval to take employment that has been issued by Work Permits UK.

TOGETHER WITH EITHER OF THE FOLLOWING:

• A passport or other travel document endorsed to show that you are able to stay in the UK and can take the work permit employment in question.
• A letter issued to you by the Home Office confirming that you are able to stay in the UK and can take the work permit employment in question.

1 As from 1 May 2004, the following countries are part of the EEA: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, *Czech Republic, Denmark, *Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, *Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, *Latvia, *Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, *Poland, Portugal, *Slovakia, *Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom. If you are a national of one of the eight countries marked with an asterisk and you start working in the UK after 1 May 2004, you must register with the Home Office under the Workers Registration Scheme within one month of starting employment.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
paranoid or they are expecting a check up.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Lucky I had to do a CRB check for my job so I am all clear.

DC Rules

Could It Be Forever?
Sep 19, 2006
My son recently applied for a Saturday job and they said they wanted proof of ID, but woudn't accept his driving licence. Reading this, I guess they actually wanted proof he could work in the UK, which wasn't what they said. They wanted to see his passport or birth certificate. It makes sense now

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Similar thing with the new money laundering legislation. we have had to fill out rafts of documents to prove we are not using our business as a front for arms / drug dealing etc. Very tedious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here