Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UEFA to hit the Welsh for National Anthem abuse?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just watching the highlights on SSN. The Welsh, disgracefully, were whilstling throughout the English National Anthem.

I believe I'm right in saying that such actions are punished these days - I look forward to seeing UEFA taking action...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
England have already been punished in the past for such outrages.

"God Save Our Queen" was abused, shockingly, by the boys from the Valleys. Shocking. Boys. Valleys.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I love the booing/whistling of the national anthem. I loved it when we did it to them and I loved it when they did it to us today. It's all part of the fun. Intimidation and all that. Like a chavy version of the haka.

Yoda

English & European
Juan Albion said:
Then with any luck they will also deduct points from England for when they do it also.

By the way, was it really the "English" national anthem? If so, what was it?

I have on thing to say to you.

RAM IT!!! :angry:

I think you'll find the English fan's did it in respone to the Welsh fans absolutly draining the BRITISH anthem out completly. All I could here was booing throughout GSTQ. They seem quite happy happy when a English our Scot win's something when competing as a GB athlete (or whatever) but don't repect the anthem when it is played as the Engligh one. :glare:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Not until they retroactively punish England for 90% of matches back to about, oh, 1930?

If you want to see a country who's fans boo (not whistle, boo) other countries national anthems, its England. Also remember that God Save The Queen is also legally the national anthem of Wales in the first place...

Then again, I don't remember the FA being properly punished by UEFA for their "fans" basically destroying Lansdowne in 1995...

Yoda

English & European
MYOB said:

Then again, I don't remember the FA being properly punished by UEFA for their "fans" basically destroying Lansdowne in 1995...

Now THAT is a very good point and am surpirsed never happened.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
MYOB said:

If you want to see a country who's fans boo (not whistle, boo) other countries national anthems

So Wales whistling our national anthem is not as bad as us booing theirs?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yoda said:
Now THAT is a very good point and am surpirsed never happened.

I will point out the reason I put in "fans" rather than just fans was that it wasn't regular attendees, but basically a fasicst element of people who claim to be England fans, but the FA still sold them tickets, etc, etc; and got away pretty much scot free for it.

It was not a nice atmosphere to be in as an 8 year old, anyway, even if I was isolated from the problem (in a corporate box). We still haven't played England since, and I can't see it happening till UEFA draw us that way for Euro20xx qualifying or similar...

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Yoda said:
I think you'll find the English fan's did it in respone to the Welsh fans absolutly draining the BRITISH anthem out completly.

So you are seriously suggesting that Wales ought to be punished for not appreciating their own national anthem? That would be a hard sell. :lolol:

I must admit, the irony of England fans complaining about the way they were treated by someone else is very amusing. Kettle, black etc :lolol:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Rangdo said:
So Wales whistling our national anthem is not as bad as us booing theirs?

Didn't say it was any less serious, I just said that England have absolutely no right to complain till the FA locate, and ban the -large- contigent of England fans who boo other countries national anthems

I'm also for the FAI banning people who boo Rangers players playing against Ireland, but its about as likely to happen (e.g. not at fecking all, really)

{point there being that we can't bitch if our players get booed by opposition fans for whatever reason till we ban the dickhead element, which I can't see happening but really, really should have years ago...}

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
FIFA or UEFA rarely act unless England are the perpetrators

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yoda said:
They seem quite happy happy when a English our Scot win's something when competing as a GB athlete

And of course all non-Welsh Brits didn't celebrate Colin Jackson's triumphs in a GB shirt at all
:rolleyes:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
England have in the past been the worst protagonists of showing disrespect to the national anthems of other nations, although this was curiously absent during Euro 2004 in Portugal, as was the stupid violent misbehaviour.

The behaviour in Dublin was a complete and utter disgrace and amounted to bigoted sectarianism more than anything else, I can't understand why we weren't punished severely for that but I have always thought that UEFA and FIFA were both more interested in money than anything else and England are undoubtedly one of the biggest draws in World football.

I would say that if England drew the Irish Republic in a qualification round for a major tournament again then consideration should be given to banning away fans, a sad situation maybe but probably the only thing that could help avoid and unmitigated disaster.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Gully said:
England have in the past been the worst protagonists of showing disrespect to the national anthems of other nations, although this was curiously absent during Euro 2004 in Portugal

It certainly wasn't absent in the World Cup qualifier at Old Trafford, where the Welsh national anthem was drowned out by English boos and whistles.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Bozza said:
The Welsh, disgracefully, were whilstling throughout the English National Anthem.

The English National Anthem? We don't have one, so we sing an anthem we share with the Welsh. This is probably the reason many were booing.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
MYOB said:

I'm also for the FAI banning people who boo Rangers players playing against Ireland, but its about as likely to happen (e.g. not at fecking all, really)

Personally I don't see a problem with that happening. When I'm at Lansdowne I sometimes boo opposition players who've played for Rangers, but its purely an issue where I, like the majority of the crowd, am a Celtic fan and therefore its purely based on footballing rivalry. Obviously theres the historical basis behind the rivalry etc etc, but it never seems to be particularly bad-natured or of a sectarian nature to me.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It was described as Welsh passion on SSN last night on the highlights :rolleyes:. Still can't quite get to grips with the idea that they hate us so much yet their teams are happy to compete in the English league.

You'd think they would voluntarily withdraw out of protest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here