Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UEFA - 'Diving's worse in Britain'

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Today, from UEFA chief executive Lars Christer Olsson:

The Uefa chief also believes that diving has become a real problem for English football.

"It seems it has been significantly more in Britain than in the other parts of Europe, although there have been reports from international games as well."

You what? The reason it's 'an issue' here is that most people hate it and make a huge fuss about it when it happens.

In most other countries it is a matter of routine and barely causes an eyebrow to be raised.

So it's not more diving - it's more objection. Although I would concede it's getting worse even here.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
for some reason I read that as Driving.... ???

:unclesam:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
For some reason I clicked the link without reading it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Possibly something to do with the speed of the game in the Premiership, i.e. its easier to get away with ?

With the numerous cameras that Sky employ at games now (much more than in the past) - its also under a higer degree of scrutiny.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
And there are more foreigners here now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This issue is POISON
Diving, simulation and feigning injury are the biggest problems facing the game today. I have 2 mates who are actually cancelling their Sky subscription because of this issue, they're sick of it and I don't blame them. Its a plague, and the time has come now for some SERIOUS action to be taken.

Every Monday, a panel needs to sit down and review every single red and yellow card given. Where TV footage shows that a player has faked contact, or exagerrated it, the card for the "offender" should be rescinded, and the cheat should get a 3 match ban.

Now I realise its not always going to be cut and dried, but I think that IF a player is rolling round supposedly in "agony", and a player gets carded as a result, he'd better make damn sure he's not faking, because a panel will be SCRUTINISING it extrememly closely the following Monday, and they can expect punishment if they're f***ing about.

This could potentially lead to miscarriages of justice if a player has been genuinely hurt, but if the panel sometimes makes the wrong call, then TOUGH. By constantly cheating, the players have already created this scenario themselves, so if they now occasionally fall foul of it, they've only got themselves to blame. The fact is, it's no worse than the current miscarriages of justice where players are being wrongly punished because of play-acting by their fellow pro's. Thats the environment they've created, so thats how its gotta be.

Perhaps then, managers will encourage their players to be more honest, stay on their feet, not feign or exagerrate injury. Because with the threat of losing their players for x number of games due to simulation, it'd have a major impact on their team selections in upcoming games. We've got to ENCOURAGE honesty on the pitch, and a draconian measure is the only way to tackle it. Because at the moment, a player faking a tackle or an injury has absolutely NOTHING to lose, and everything to gain - and thats just got to change.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Easy 10 said:
This issue is POISON
Diving, simulation and feigning injury are the biggest problems facing the game today. I have 2 mates who are actually cancelling their Sky subscription because of this issue, they're sick of it and I don't blame them. Its a plague, and the time has come now for some SERIOUS action to be taken.

Every Monday, a panel needs to sit down and review every single red and yellow card given. Where TV footage shows that a player has faked contact, or exagerrated it, the card for the "offender" should be rescinded, and the cheat should get a 3 match ban.

Now I realise its not always going to be cut and dried, but I think that IF a player is rolling round supposedly in "agony", and a player gets carded as a result, he'd better make damn sure he's not faking, because a panel will be SCRUTINISING it extrememly closely the following Monday, and they can expect punishment if they're f***ing about.

This could potentially lead to miscarriages of justice if a player has been genuinely hurt, but if the panel sometimes makes the wrong call, then TOUGH. By constantly cheating, the players have already created this scenario themselves, so if they now occasionally fall foul of it, they've only got themselves to blame. The fact is, it's no worse than the current miscarriages of justice where players are being wrongly punished because of play-acting by their fellow pro's. Thats the environment they've created, so thats how its gotta be.

Perhaps then, managers will encourage their players to be more honest, stay on their feet, not feign or exagerrate injury. Because with the threat of losing their players for x number due to simulation, it'd have a major impact on their team selections in upcoming games. We've got to ENCOURAGE honesty on the pitch, and a draconian measure is the only way to tackle it. Because at the moment, a player faking a tackle or an injury has absolutely NOTHING to lose, and everything to gain - and thats gotta change.

Well said that man. :clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thanks Doug
Its an issue that riles me immensely, and it CAN be stamped out, if the authorities have the will. You can't expect the referee's to be able to make the call correctly every time, and I know it won't affect the result on the day if a pen or a sending off has taken place. But if players KNOW there will be retrospective action taken against them, it might just plant that seed of doubt before they decide on that dive, or that extra roll in agony.

And thats got to be a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Easy 10 said:

Damn straight - something I've advocated for some time. The FA seem awfully keen to trawl through footage looking for off-the-ball incidents, elbows etc, so the lack of attention paid to diving is absolutely bizarre. A few lengthy bans handed out would soon put some pressure on players and managers to stamp it out.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'd like to see less simulation and more stimulation.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Diving/feigning injury is wank.

I'd like to see a player who has just been sent off after his opponent has pretended to be injured, turn around and kick seven shades of shit out of the prone ponce on the floor.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thats not the POINT Danny.
Its because of this "shrugging shoulders" attitude that the problem is getting worse, and worse, and worse. I'm f***ing sick to death of seeing players diving and rolling around in fake agony after the slightest touch - its beneath contempt and totally pathetic, but no-one seems bothered about doing a damn thing about it.

Gemini

Mar 3, 2006
Refs hardly ever book players for diving now. They were hot on it for a while but like everything else, it gets forgotten about.

When was the last time a defensive wall was marched back a further 10 yards because of encroachment?
It just dont happen any more

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree wholeheartedly with you Easy, with almost as much passion.

What I don't understand is why people/the FA leap on Gary Neville celebrating a goal in front of some fans who have been calling God knows what for 90 minutes, and ignore this. One is an entirely understandable and human reaction, the other is cheating and genuinely bringing the game into disrepute.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I f*cking hate UEFA & FIFA.. they know f*ck all about real football.. tyhat probably goes for the FA too...

YES... I HAVE had a drink this afternnon

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Jam The Man said:
I f*cking hate UEFA & FIFA.. they know f*ck all about real football... that probably goes for the FA as well

YES I HAVE had a drink this afternoon

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here