UEFA Back Cardiff

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Platini makes Cardiff FA Cup vow

Cardiff played superbly to beat Middlesbrough in the FA Cup
Uefa boss Michel Platini has pledged to help Cardiff if they win the FA Cup, but are refused entry to the Uefa Cup.
The Football Association says Cardiff will not be one of England's Uefa Cup representatives as the club comes under the jurisdiction of the FA of Wales.

"If England don't do anything we will," Uefa president Platini told BBC Sport.

In the most open FA Cup for years, Cardiff play Barnsley in the semis, with the winners due to meet either Portsmouth or West Brom in the final.

"We have to respect the result on the field," added Platini.

Under current FA rules, Cardiff is considererd a Welsh club with full membership of the Football Association of Wales (FAW), but only associate membership of the FA.

"We spoke with the FAW," added Platini.

"I think it is not normal that if they win then they're out. That's not natural and not so good."

Winners of the FA Cup are currently handed a Uefa Cup spot by the FA, who run the competition as a reward for winning it.

606: DEBATE
Should Cardiff City play in Europe if they win the FA Cup?

Cardiff chairman Peter Ridsdale has hinted the club would challenge the English FA's current rules and regulations.

Cardiff could cite several examples to support their case including:

Derry City - Based in Northern Ireland but since 1985 have been playing in the Republic of Ireland's competitions and are regarded as a Republic of Ireland club. When they qualify for Europe, they play as a Republic of Ireland team.

AS Monaco - Based in Monaco, where they are the only side, but play in the French League.

Berwick Rangers - Based in England but play in the Scottish League and would be accepted as a Scottish club if they qualified for Europe.
When the FAW formed the League of Wales in 1992, Cardiff, Swansea City and Wrexham all decided not to join it choosing to remain playing in the English Football League.

As a result, Uefa decided the clubs would no longer be allowed to compete in the Welsh FA Cup and therefore would not be allowed to qualify for Europe that way.

The FAW agreed with that decision and Uefa take the view that because they play in English competitions, they are English clubs.

Sake.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Derry also duplicate the two-associations thing, they receive grants and the payment for a youth development officer from the Northern Irish IFA but play under the Irish FAI...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think Platini is brilliant and back him 100% in this instance. He has ruffled a few feathers that needed ruffling. I see the Premiership Chairman(?) claimed that Platini was 'killing football' for rejecting the goal line technology. So nothing to do with the formation of the Premiership then... :thud:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think Platini is brilliant and back him 100% in this instance. He has ruffled a few feathers that needed ruffling. I see the Premiership Chairman(?) claimed that Platini was 'killing football' for rejecting the goal line technology. So nothing to do with the formation of the Premiership then... :thud:

Why as an Englishman do I want a welsh club representing me in Europe?

Seagull Stew

LOL, and the idea that Arsenal and Chelsea competing in the Champions League , do so in the name of representing England is quite frankly......:lolol:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

I'm with you. They play in the English league so they should be allowed to represent us.
Any team that wins the FA cup deserves it, IMHO. I'd rather have them in Europe than f***ing MILWALL!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

The days have passed for clubs to be representing US in Europe. It is all about themselves. We accept them in the football league, why shouldn't they reach Europe if they deservedly reach/win the final? I have no problem with Cardiff playing in Europe.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I have no probs with Cardiff representing us. They have more English and less alice band wearing, overpaid, overpampered, pansies representing us.

Arsenal and Chelsea (and to a lesser extent Man U and Liverpool) are essentially foreign clubs now that just happen to play in this league here.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
But Cardiff are not actually members of the English FA are they? The European place is awarded to the English FA, ergo Cardiff should not be allowed to enter.

*Caveat - If my first statement is incorrect, I may change my view.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If they win it they deserve to get into Europe. The rights and wrongs of a welsh team playing in the english league is a moot point.

The fact of the matter is that, rightly or wrongly, they take part in the FA Cup and play in the Championship. Therefore it is only right they reap the benefits of doing well in either competition.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

What has it got to do with you, or anyone on here for that matter.

Cardiff, if they get through, will represent CARDIFF CITY in the UEFA cup. Nobody else. Certainly not fans of other clubs they probably couldn't give a toss about.

Anyway, won't SPURS be representing you in the cup next season?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If, and it's still a fairly big if, but if Cardiff do win ther cup then they would fully deserve a place in Europe. They may only be associate members of the FA rather than full members, but as they do not compete in any Welsh FA competitions then they have no other way of qualifying. Win the cup get the rewards that go with it. It sound fair enough to me.

If, and it's still a fairly big if, but if Cardiff do win ther cup then they would fully deserve a place in Europe. They may only be associate members of the FA rather than full members, but as they do not compete in any Welsh FA competitions then they have no other way of qualifying.
The bit about not competing in any Welsh competitions is not true. Cardiff City compete in the FAW Premier Cup. This season they lost to Newport County, who went on to win it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here