Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U2

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Love or loath them you just know they are going to totally smash Glastonbury in a month's time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It will certainly be better than Beyonce

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Agreed. When Edge came on with Muse last year it was the biggest crowd reaction of the weekend.

I love the Gorillaz and saw them play an amazing set at the Camden Roundhouse, but they didn't catch fire at Glastonbury as they don't have the back catalogue of hits to sustain a hour and a half set. They started slowly and a lot of people left or lost interest.

In contrast U2 are a hit machine and although I'm not their biggest fan, I reckon its going to be great show.

The only downside is they clash with Primal scream.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed. When Edge came on with Muse last year it was the biggest crowd reaction of the weekend.

I love the Gorillaz and saw them play an amazing set at the Camden Roundhouse, but they didn't catch fire at Glastonbury as they don't have the back catalogue of hits to sustain a hour and a half set. They started slowly and a lot of people left or lost interest.

In contrast U2 are a hit machine and although I'm not their biggest fan, I reckon its going to be great show.

They have indicated they are not doing they're regular set but a special 90 minute greatest hits show with no stage set.

Agree about Gorillaz. They were a lot tighter when they hit Brighton later in the tour and it was fairly obvious they had taken on board all the criticisms.

It also clashes with Ce Lo Green who I would have liked to see.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011

U2 v Primal scream ? Primal scream every time

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Saw them at Wembley on the 360 tour, and have to say - great though some of their material has been in the last 10 years - I'd much rather turn the clock back to a sweaty Brighton Top Rank (or was it Jenkinsons?) circa 1980/81. They were a solid gold endorphin rush then. :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saw them at Wembley on the 360 tour, and have to say - great though some of their material has been in the last 10 years - I'd much rather turn the clock back to a sweaty Brighton Top Rank (or was it Jenkinsons?) circa 1980/81. They were a solid gold endorphin rush then. :thumbsup:

Saw U2 at one of their first performances straight off the boat, at the Marquee Club in Wardour Street. Me bruv taped the entire gig. We got seperated and the daft drunken bastard then promptly got mugged for the tape as soon as he left the club :rolleyes:

Sep 1, 2010
Saw U2 at one of their first performances straight off the boat, at the Marquee Club in Wardour Street. Me bruv taped the entire gig. We got seperated and the daft drunken bastard then promptly got mugged for the tape as soon as he left the club :rolleyes:

What are tapes?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Never seen U2 - and even tho I'm not really a fan, I'm looking forward to it. They'll certainly be guaranteed to put on an amazing show. Primal Scream would just remind me of too many messy festivals in the 90s! The Glasto line-up overall tho is awful, so Bono & co will certainly be one of the highlights.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Glasto line-up overall tho is awful.

I cannot agree with this. If you like music I fail to see how you cannot find something from the 400 or so acts. Then there is all the other stuff. I spent an afternoon up in the Kids Field last year on the Thursday......that huge pink castle thing was excellent fun. This year you got this plus Rastamouse Live. There's one afternoon for you sorted!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
This is my 4th consecutive year and it probably is the poorest line up in that time. However it maybe an old cliche but it's true - Glastonbury is more than just the music, the vibe and atmosphere set it apart from any other festival I've been too.

Plus the lineup still has enough quality if your prepared to visit some of the smaller stages. The Park stage for me looks fantastic this year and has always been my favourite location within Glastonbury. Plus after midnight Shangra-La & Trash City are amazing, you can see some real casualties in these places.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I cannot agree with this. If you like music I fail to see how you cannot find something from the 400 or so acts. Then there is all the other stuff. I spent an afternoon up in the Kids Field last year on the Thursday......that huge pink castle thing was excellent fun. This year you got this plus Rastamouse Live. There's one afternoon for you sorted!
I know there is the other stuff, thank God. This will be my 14th Glastonbury, and the music line up is by far the weakest I can recall. Most other festivals are pissing all over it. Look at the line-up for Primavera Sound in Barcelona, by way of comparison.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I saw U2 at Earls court in 91 (I think) and have to say they were bloody good. However, that was twenty odd years ago. Can they still cut the mustard?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
big nuts; said:
Shangri-La & Trash City are amazing, you can see some real casualties in these places.

This. Arcadia is my favourite though. It's just nuts.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I saw U2 at Earls court in 91 (I think) and have to say they were bloody good. However, that was twenty odd years ago. Can they still cut the mustard?

At the Brighton Top Rank Suite in about 2003/04, but bloody missed it.

Saw them at Wembley Stadium August 1997. Popmart - not the best tour, but great graphics and effects.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here