Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two dads: Craig Noone's and Billy Sharp

no81skint

Apr 27, 2007
Coventry
Joy Divided by Tragedy: Tuesday night - a story of two dads

Craig Noone's

craig-noone.jpg

On Tuesday night I stood next to Craig Noone's dad for 90 minutes.

Craig Noone, I should explain, is one of Brighton and Hove Albion''s star players - a wiry 23 year old who hovers just behind the forward line, jinxing and teasing the opposition. One of those players who instantly raises the crowd volume when he gets the ball. Definitely a fan's favourite, he started as a school boy at Liverpool but was then released and for some time dropped out of football and trained to be a roofer. One of his jobs was on Liverpool captain Steve Gerrard's house. In September he had the opportunity to play Gerrard in a League Cup game against Liverpool at the Amex.

I'm standing next to his dad courtesy of a random act of generosity which saw us enter the turnstiles at Watford's Vicarage Road for free. In gratitude I placed my 50p bet on Noone to score at 7/2.

As we chatted about Craig, it was so obvious how proud his dad was. As anyone would be. As the game progressed I watched it through fresh eyes - a little group was focused on one player. Every move every touch. We felt the thrill, the disappointment. We swelled with pride as the crowd chanted their idol's name. Nooney. Nooney. Craig had a couple of excellent runs and moments but overall the game was disappointing after forty five minutes. Nil all.

At half time we chatted more about the magic football moments that come from being Craig's dad. Watching his son score at the new stadium 10 minutes in to a game and then run across to where his family were all sitting and salute in celebration. Sooo proud.

Sadly, Tuesday was not to be the Seagulls' evening as the game fizzled out in to a scrappy affair, the team clearly out of sorts and Watford sneaked a late messy winner. So no magic moment as Craig's dad that evening, beyond being part of a crowd that cheered on and rose every time his son got the ball.

I lost 50p, but I'll have another go this weekend - you never know.

Billy Sharp

Travel 155 miles north of Vicarage Road, Watford and you reach the home of Doncaster Rovers who on Tuesday were playing Middlesborough. Leading the Doncaster Rovers side that evening was Billy Sharp. Sharp and Doncaster Rovers will always hold a special place for Brighton. Doncaster the last team to play at the Goldstone, the first at the Amex. Sharp the first player to score in the drama of that very first game at the new home in August.

But this time he is playing out his own tragic drama.

His two-day old son Luey Jacob had died only a few days earlier, and yet Sharp had phoned Doncaster's manager to say that he wanted to play and he wanted to score a goal for his son.

And so he led out his side and stood there while both teams and the whole stadium united in a minute's applause for his son.

14 minutes in to the game Sharp turns and volleys to score the opening goal. No one will begrudge him that moment, and no referee could ever book him as he reveals the emotive t-shirt.

THATS FOR YOU SON

I wonder if there was another father in the Doncaster stands cheering his son's goal, his heart swelling with pride while hurting for the lost grandson.

Joy divided by tragedy.

billy-sharp.jpg

from this week's blog on no81bobsworld Living with...Joy Division...for a week

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That is beautiful.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
As a father myself you cannot help but be touched. Even as my son who is 2 in 2 weeks time kicks a ball around the lounge my heart is bursting with pride.

Good Blog

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Good blog mate. Nice article.

no81skint

Apr 27, 2007
Coventry
Thanks for the great feedback. Also now posted to North Stand Chat Blog.
Meeting Craig's dad made a shocking game at Watford seem so much better.
Let's hope we get a better all round performance today... Come on you Seaguullllsss!!

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Very good read, I defy anyone to not be touched by the Billy Sharp tragedy. The first time I saw my Son running out onto the pitch for his school team, wearing Tommy Elphicks # 4 jersey, I was bursting with pride. Mr Noone must be so proud, Craig is a really exciting player to watch, and seems a nice bloke too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here