Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twickenham.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just great,those so called 'old farts' manage to develope Twickenham,into what looks like a superb stadium. :clap: Then just look at The F/A and Wembley.:angry: :lolol: :angry: :albion:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
and you can drink beer in your seats:clap:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hasn't been quite so slick. The builders only 'gave back' the stadium to the caterers/owners on the Saturday - there were a lot of operational problems yesterday, and the revamp has taken many years in total.

The big difference is that for some reason Twickers doesn't get slaughtered in the press, whereas Wembley is a turkey shoot. Cue conspiracy theories about class war and editors jealously protecting their Six Nations hospitality.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Twickenham was paid for totally by the Rugby Football Union, without any handouts or Government intervention.

Wembley on the other hand...........................................

Perhaps this is why Twickenham escapes all the bad press.

Magnificant stadium btw

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know there was a good reason, but I can't remember what it was. Why didn't England and League Clubs use Twickenham whilst Wembley was being re-built. Surely a better option than Cardiff, except it's not and I can't remember why. Anyone?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Twickenham was always a far nicer stadium than Wembley ever was, and the fact it's now even bigger and more modern is an embarrassment to the FA.

Great venue

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yeah I know, the new Wembley looks rubbish, doesn't it?

wembley-stadium.jpg

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Icy Gull said:
I know there was a good reason, but I can't remember what it was. Why didn't England and League Clubs use Twickenham whilst Wembley was being re-built. Surely a better option than Cardiff, except it's not and I can't remember why. Anyone?

I'm pretty sure the pitch isn't wide enough, or something basic like that.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
No, the reason that Twickenham wasnt used for the footy was that the RFA didnt want to upset the local toff Twickers residents by allowing horrible common football folk to invade their tree lined suburb.

Apparently its fine though for a crowd wearing boat shoes and rugger tops though. I hate Rugby fans.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Albion Dan said:
No, the reason that Twickenham wasnt used for the footy was that the RFA didnt want to upset the local toff Twickers residents by allowing horrible common football folk to invade their tree lined suburb.

Apparently its fine though for a crowd wearing boat shoes and rugger tops though. I hate Rugby fans.

You appear to be generalising as much as you accuse the RFU of doing. Is there not one rugby fan in the whole world who you may not hate :lol:

Last edited:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Didn't realise the Royal Fleet Auxilary where in charge of Twickers, better let the RFU know!!

Not all Rugby fans are the upper class toff stereotype Albion Dan appears to dislike. Granted, many of the Twickenham crowd are, as they are usually corporate arseholes who only think Rugby is played by a team in white with a rose on it. Most of the rugby fans in the country ain't like that ... and some of us, dare I say it, also like football!!!:eek: :eek:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Icy Gull said:
You appear to be generalising as much as you accuse the RFU of doing. Is there not one rugby fan in the whole world who you may not hate :lol:

Course Im generalising, but having lived in South West London, International Rugby days were grim old affairs and Boat shoes were aplenty.

Dr Q said:
Didn't realise the Royal Fleet Auxilary where in charge of Twickers, better let the RFU know!!

Not all Rugby fans are the upper class toff stereotype Albion Dan appears to dislike. Granted, many of the Twickenham crowd are, as they are usually corporate arseholes who only think Rugby is played by a team in white with a rose on it. Most of the rugby fans in the country ain't like that ... and some of us, dare I say it, also like football!!!:eek: :eek:

Bad luck Saturday Dr Q - but this small item of trivia will amuse you - Kerry Mayo's aunt is a Bath fan, she told me so on the way to the Rec on Saturday when she saw my Brighton scarf :D

On the subject of Twickenham, I think they have strict limits on the number of games they can play there every year, so it was never going to be a go-er for football.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
LI - wasn't the best of games was it! Maybe that might kick-start your season, but from what I saw we're both gonna struggle this year (although call-ups and injuries appear to have decimated both us and you?). Hope you saw the game ok, given our megre facilities (for me the joys of supporting two clubs with serious stadium issues!!)

One day the RFU will adopt footies practice of no games on international days, and let the first teams battle it out. Then again, I expect a squadron of pigs to circle Twickenham on the same day!

Dr Q said:
LI - wasn't the best of games was it! Maybe that might kick-start your season, but from what I saw we're both gonna struggle this year
Absolutely - 2nd season syndrome for us after last year's highs. Off to the Glaws game in a few hours and fully expect us to get hammered.

Was very impressed by the visibility of the Keep Rugby at the Rec campaign around the town, hope there will be some kind of breakthough for you on that.

Although it sounds a bit ungrateful as the Madjet is a great stadium, many of us are getting a bit tired of the groundshare. We are looking seriously at building our own stadium in west London by about 2012, shame the Olympic site is the wrong side of London for us because I think they want to give it to a rugby club.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Albion Dan said:

:lolol: :lolol:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Dr Q said:
... and some of us, dare I say it, also like football!!!:eek: :eek:

A mate of mine was as much into rugby as he was football, he used to write programme notes for Bath Rugby in fact, before buggering off to Australia to play semi-pro football.

Must drop him an email and see how he is.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
LI: good luck against glaws, I think you may need it!! Someone needs to put them in their place though, too many glaws fans here at work that need taking down a peg or two!

Bath are up for a tonking at Wycombe this weekend I fear:down:

Hope you signed the Keep Rugby at the Rec petition. If not its at www.bathrugbyere.co.uk. Any extra signaturees are more than welcome. It would be a shame to leave!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here