Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tunisia? Egypt?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Although recently put off by the recent bombs in tourist areas of Egypt I am now thinking of giving Cyprus a miss this year and it's either Egypt or Tunisia instead.

Anybody got any info on either location? Best places to go, best value, etc.?

Ta.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Been to both but it depends what you want to to Bwian. What are your interests and who are you going with?

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
when are you planning to go?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Going with Mrs Bwian, late (28) June.

Want some beach inactivity, bit of local sightseeing/culture, few beers at night.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
If you are going for a couple of weeks then do a cruise down the valley of the kings and then to one of the beach resorts in Egypt. Dirt cheap and much nicer than Tunisia in my book. Have only been to Sousse in Tunisia and was not very impressed to be honest. I loved Egypt but only did Cairo which is well worth a visit. Pyramids and the Cairo Museum and the sphinx all in close proximity.

Enjoy whatever you choose to do matey:thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've been to Tunisia a couple of times, and I have to say I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, the two weeks with my fiancee was such a disaster it paradoxically probably convinced us we were right for each other as the entire trip was a nightmare but we somehow managed not to kill each other. Some unlucky (bad weather, she was ill), some down to the hotel facilities and service, and lack of things to do. I was also asked for bribes by police while in a hire car, not ideal.

It's a big world, I'd go to Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt - anywhere else, in fact.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Tooting Gull said:
I've been to Tunisia a couple of times, and I have to say I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, the two weeks with my fiancee was such a disaster it paradoxically probably convinced us we were right for each other as the entire trip was a nightmare but we somehow managed not to kill each other. Some unlucky (bad weather, she was ill), some down to the hotel facilities and service, and lack of things to do. I was also asked for bribes by police while in a hire car, not ideal.

It's a big world, I'd go to Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt - anywhere else, in fact.

That sounds horrible....glad you didn't try to kill each other.

We normally go to Pafos for the 'Summer Sun' holiday but a change is needed as it's getting too comfortable. Egypt is sounding a good bet based on replies so far.

Thanks guys.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tunisia is good but severely regulates alcohol so not so good - dirt cheap mind you as bugger all to spend money on.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Beach Hut said:
Tunisia is good but severely regulates alcohol so not so good - dirt cheap mind you as bugger all to spend money on.

Bollocks does it. This is a muslim country with it's own wine industry and it's own local spirit (which admitedly is foul).

The tourist areas around Sousse have fantastic beaches, in June your guaranteed good weather.

Theres plenty to see, El Jem the Roman Colisseum is better than the one in Rome, you can get into the desert and around Tunis there's loads to see ( Carthage, Sidi Bou Said, the Bardo museum)

And it's all pretty cheap.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Holiday Truth sites

EGYPT

TUNISIA

Never been to Tunisia, but Egypt's great. Been 8 times in 2 years, number 9 coming at end of July.
If you fancy trying a scuba dive, best to go to Egypt. You won't forget it.

I personally go to Nuweiba. Great beaches to relax on. Close by is St Catherines Monastery (where the burning bush is). We got friends there at the moment. 35C. Cairo and the pyramids can be done in a day, although it would be best to fly there.

Beers readily available.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Hurghada. We use to live in Egypt but it's my husbands domain and he says I paint a poor picture (though I have no complaints at all) so will let him write you properly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Egpyts probably not the best idea if you're really serious about bomb-dodging. Mad abdullahs all over the shop.

Go to Mexico. Best holiday destination in the world. FACT.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, El Jem was one of the single most amazing things I've ever visited. But we were in the far north, not, Sousse, so even that was a hell of a drive. A sort of Carlisle away, if you will.

U could also throw in Turkey and Morocco, both also great for tourism and culture.

:drink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was @ Sharm last year. We collapsed on the beach & stayed there. It made a change to not have green peace rolling me back into the water, :lolol:.
Did feel really guilty about not going anywhere near the pyramids, but the snokelling more than made up for it, as it was fantastic.
Narma Bay is ok, there is a very nice English roof top bar (normally wouldn't go within 100yds of such a place), but the whole area is very new so don't expect culture.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Went to Tunisia last year, found it a great place and dirt cheap. Only problem the beer is only 1.5 - 2% so couldnt enjoy the evenings as much as would have liked. Ended up doing 4 litres of smirnoff while we were there but that got boring after a while. Would definately recommend to the over 50's as many seem to keep going back.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
bhafc4eva said:
Went to Tunisia last year, found it a great place and dirt cheap. Only problem the beer is only 1.5 - 2% so couldnt enjoy the evenings as much as would have liked. Ended up doing 4 litres of smirnoff while we were there but that got boring after a while. Would definately recommend to the over 50's as many seem to keep going back.

Erm, Celtia the beer you usually get out there is 4.5%

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Some helpful info-thanks folks!

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
Been to Tunisia four times both as a single guy and latterly with my family and I'll love it. The best places to go are Hammamet and Port El Kantoui. The place is cheap when you get out there, especially drink ... and yes they do allow it.

However, you have to be prepared to barter and expect these people to be pushy because that is theuir culture and they are poor people and every dinar counts. There is also a lot of poverty out there and that means that in some places the scenery may not be that great, but the people are ever so friendly.

The beaches are great and you're almost gauranteed the sun

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Rusco is bang on,
I stayed in Sousse which was good for a relaxing sunny holiday but the evenings travelled to the nearby Port El Kantoui which was the absolute nuts. Lively and friendly , beautiful fountains , lights , restarants and street entertainment, open markets . . .. . ust really nice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here