Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tuesday night, a Fathers' Pride

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
My son was born in August 2000 just before the start of the football season. Albion were about to embark on their second season at Withdean with a young Bobby Zamora destined to lift the club away from the basement division. My son will be eleven this summer. He was enrolled as a Junior Seagull when he was only a few weeks old and I’ve always tried to keep him Albion. He trained at the Albion Soccer Schools from the age of 5 and I started taking him along to matches – his first was a 1-0 home defeat to Watford (Chris Eagles wonder goal) “Dad, I’m bored, can I go home”. No son, there’s another half to go yet.

It’s not been easy keeping him Albion. He went through a period of asking why he couldn’t support Manchester United. His cousins all did so why can’t he. “Why don’t you support a good team Dad?”, “why can’t we support a team who are on the telly?”. Many of you with young kids will have gone through this.

I persevered in dragging him along to Albion games whenever one of our group had a spare ticket – kept on buying him the latest shirt with his name and age on the back. Slowly he stopped asking about other teams. When building work started at Falmer, I started to show him the webcam and gallery pictures. Once there was something to see I would take him along to see the shiny new ground being built. “That looks like a proper football stadium Dad. Can I get a season ticket with you when it opens?” Of course you can son.

This season, he has attended more games than ever, thanks to mates who, for various reasons, have not been able to make matches throughout this last season at Withdean. His season ticket for Falmer is secured and he keeps looking at the webcam. “Look Dad, the seats are being put in now – are we sitting where the seagull is?”.

Tuesday 12th April 2011 – his last game at the Withdean as my mates will all be back for the last two games. One nil down and not even a minute on the clock. “Dad, I don’t like this. I’m nervous. We’re not going to win tonight” Don’t worry son, loads of time to get back into the game. Winning at half time and he keeps badgering my mate to check the Southampton score on his mobile. “Dad, if they lose we’re up aren’t we”. Maybe son. Not long after we are losing again. “Dad, I’m nervous again”. Murray hits the bar. Don’t worry son, we’ll get the result tonight.

The final whistle goes, relief all round. “Dad, we’ve done it. We’re going up” Big hugs all round. “Can we go on the pitch Dad?” No son, by the time we get there, the stewards will have moved everyone off. “I want Gus’s name on the back of my shirt next year” The ‘no lap of honour tonight, you were told to stay off the pitch’ message comes over the tannoy. Son looks disappointed. We mill around, waiting for the row to clear so we can head home. All of a sudden, the players reappear. Big grins from the son and all around. The party starts again.

Eventually it’s time to leave and make the walk up the steep hill back to car. Doesn’t seem so steep tonight with such a spring in our step. “Put on BBC Sussex Dad” They’ll have finished broadcasting now son, it’ll be music for old folks. We put the radio on, Jonny Cantor is interviewing half naked players in the showers. We get home to Worthing at 10:40 and still they are broadcasting from Withdean and about to talk to Gary Hart. “Can we stay in the car and listen Dad?” No son, it’s way past your bedtime. We walk through the door and his mum asks why he has such a big silly grin on his face. “We won mum, we’re up to the Championship and next year we’re going to get promoted to the Premier League”.

I don’t know what time the boy finally went to sleep but I know that I went to sleep with a big grin on my face. Not just because of the Albion but with a fathers pride after such a wonderful father/son evening.

If you're still reading this, thank you for indulging a very happy middle aged man:albion1:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Great post. My son has gone through something very similar to this over the last ten years.

I think people forget how difficult it has been to be brought up a seagulls fan at Withdean whilst all your playground mates are supporting the premiership teams.

However now suddenly all his mates are very jealous that he has his season ticket and will be at the AMEX next season watching a Championship team. Just unbelievable really. I get as much pleasure from seeing the smile it puts on his face as much as the happiness it brings me.

Thanks Gus and Tony!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
That is brilliant.
I've put two son's through this.
But yes, eventually, it's worth it.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
That's a story to really put a smile on your face! It's been tough growing up as an Albion fan the last 20 years but the lads like your son are really reaping the rewards this season. As Giraffe says, now plastics everywhere are actually jealous if Albion fans for the first time in my lifetime!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Made me misty eyed. Lovely stuff.

My daughter has seen her first couple of games this season. We'd been living abroad so it was out first chance to see matches together. I was working nights on Tuesday. Terrible timing. When the match was done a text came in from my girl celebrating the promotion. It probably meant as much to me as the promotion itself. She's on her way.

Roll on next season. Next mission: to get a few away days in and obviously lap up the atmosphere in The Amex.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
My son was born in August 2000 just before the start of the football season. Albion were about to embark on their second season at Withdean with a young Bobby Zamora destined to lift the club away from the basement division. My son will be eleven this summer. He was enrolled as a Junior Seagull when he was only a few weeks old and I’ve always tried to keep him Albion. He trained at the Albion Soccer Schools from the age of 5 and I started taking him along to matches – his first was a 1-0 home defeat to Watford (Chris Eagles wonder goal) “Dad, I’m bored, can I go home”. No son, there’s another half to go yet.

It’s not been easy keeping him Albion. He went through a period of asking why he couldn’t support Manchester United. His cousins all did so why can’t he. “Why don’t you support a good team Dad?”, “why can’t we support a team who are on the telly?”. Many of you with young kids will have gone through this.

I persevered in dragging him along to Albion games whenever one of our group had a spare ticket – kept on buying him the latest shirt with his name and age on the back. Slowly he stopped asking about other teams. When building work started at Falmer, I started to show him the webcam and gallery pictures. Once there was something to see I would take him along to see the shiny new ground being built. “That looks like a proper football stadium Dad. Can I get a season ticket with you when it opens?” Of course you can son.

This season, he has attended more games than ever, thanks to mates who, for various reasons, have not been able to make matches throughout this last season at Withdean. His season ticket for Falmer is secured and he keeps looking at the webcam. “Look Dad, the seats are being put in now – are we sitting where the seagull is?”.

Tuesday 12th April 2011 – his last game at the Withdean as my mates will all be back for the last two games. One nil down and not even a minute on the clock. “Dad, I don’t like this. I’m nervous. We’re not going to win tonight” Don’t worry son, loads of time to get back into the game. Winning at half time and he keeps badgering my mate to check the Southampton score on his mobile. “Dad, if they lose we’re up aren’t we”. Maybe son. Not long after we are losing again. “Dad, I’m nervous again”. Murray hits the bar. Don’t worry son, we’ll get the result tonight.

The final whistle goes, relief all round. “Dad, we’ve done it. We’re going up” Big hugs all round. “Can we go on the pitch Dad?” No son, by the time we get there, the stewards will have moved everyone off. “I want Gus’s name on the back of my shirt next year” The ‘no lap of honour tonight, you were told to stay off the pitch’ message comes over the tannoy. Son looks disappointed. We mill around, waiting for the row to clear so we can head home. All of a sudden, the players reappear. Big grins from the son and all around. The party starts again.

Eventually it’s time to leave and make the walk up the steep hill back to car. Doesn’t seem so steep tonight with such a spring in our step. “Put on BBC Sussex Dad” They’ll have finished broadcasting now son, it’ll be music for old folks. We put the radio on, Jonny Cantor is interviewing half naked players in the showers. We get home to Worthing at 10:40 and still they are broadcasting from Withdean and about to talk to Gary Hart. “Can we stay in the car and listen Dad?” No son, it’s way past your bedtime. We walk through the door and his mum asks why he has such a big silly grin on his face. “We won mum, we’re up to the Championship and next year we’re going to get promoted to the Premier League”.

I don’t know what time the boy finally went to sleep but I know that I went to sleep with a big grin on my face. Not just because of the Albion but with a fathers pride after such a wonderful father/son evening.

If you're still reading this, thank you for indulging a very happy middle aged man:albion1:

Fantastic post, in fact one of the best. Reminds me of my son (14 now) who years ago said Dad I want to support Man UTD; stern look from Dad with a clear no. Dad, how about Arsenal, I gave him the eyes again, and priceless he said Dad does that mean no ? He's a full member of the Junior Seagulls, has his season ticket for The Amex, it could have been another kid lost to those other 2 but he is now a mad Brighton fan

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Great post, my son who is now 15 asked me during a game a few years back 'Dad, you know you supposed to support the team that your Dad supports ?' yes son I said' ' so why could you not support Arsenal ?' now after 10 years of Withdean, he is so hooked it is untrue. one proud 52 year old, who kept his son away from TV football and got him to support his local team.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
great stuff.

And isn't it amazing that when he was born we were already in that dump of a ground.

good job dad :thumbsup:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Nice one mate, mines a similar story, my son was born in 1990 good times ahead, or so we all thought as we hoped to get back to the top flight over the next few seasons, how close we came, but how wrong we were. He was registered as a junior seagull when he was 6 hours old, yes dad really is that sad!!! He took his very first steps the day we played Notts Co at Wembley in 91, naturally i missed that!

By the time he was 7 i was encouraging him to support Man Utd like his mates, why the f*** should he have to put up with the shite that we were being dragged through, but no, he said there was only one team for him.
I then continued dragging him to Gillingham for two years and to shitholes like Hull on a friday night and Mansfield, but he has seen some really good times too so it was all worth it.

By the time the first game has come to the Amex he will have turned 21 and has continued supporting the Albion even though he had the chance to get out, he has a season ticket for next season and i am really chuffed that one of us will get to see that first game. I doubt i will be able to join him but i will be happy to know that it was all worth it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Great post donkeycentrehalf, that's really what it's all about. I still vividly remember my first promotion (v Rochdale 1972) when my old man and I were going mad. You've done well to keep your son on the straight and narrow.

My boy is 5 and hasn't been to too many games at Withdean but he's got a season ticket for Falmer and I trust that he'll be an avid a fan as I was.

One other thing: there's definitely a buzz about Brighton now. I was at Patcham School yesterday and watched an Easter holiday football coaching session: about 75% of the kids doing it were wearing Albion shirts, that wouldn't have been the case 10 years ago.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Spot on - made me come over all unnecessary.

Remember taking my eldest lad along to a dull 1-1 draw v Exeter at The Goldstone in 97 for his first game, and the bug bit from then. He's been a season ticket holder for the past three years and I'm finally joining him next season. Come on!! :albion:

supergeorge

Sep 7, 2009
My son is seven and he started going to Withdean at four, we have sat huddled together under a poncho in the pouring rain watching the likes of Cheltenham Town surrounded by a mass of empty seats. Losing 0-4 to Crewe, the list could go on. But still he wanted to go back time and time again.

Early this seaon one young lad who was sat next to us asked him what Premier League team he supported, his reply was quite simply "I'm just Brighton"

As the final whistle went on Tuesday, I looked down at my son, his arms aloft in celebration and tears of joy rolling down his face.

Yes son, you are, just Brighton!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is brilliant.
I've put two son's through this.
But yes, eventually, it's worth it.
It is, isn't it. My son is ten this summer and only really got into Albion this season just gone. I knew indoctrination had been successful when he started using "Dad I don't support Brighton anymore!" in an attempt to get back at me whenever I have needed to tell him off! :lolol:

It helps that we always win, the new stadium looks amazing and that a lot of his mates don't actually support big four teams, with Fulham seemingly most popular.
But like me, he can't wait to be a STH next season so its all good.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
A lovely story.

I'm looking forward to the day I can take my little boy to watch Brighton play, he's only 9 months old but on Tuesday the missus dressed him in an Albion T-shirt and sent me a picture to my phone. It looked like he was getting ready to cheer the boys on even though kick off wasn't for a good few hours and he'd be fast alseep when the game came around.

I still remember my Dad taking me to my first game in 1982 against Manchester United in the old first div and with a bit of luck we'll be playing at that same level when my boy is old enough to go to a game. My first experience of promotion came in 1988 when we went up from the third div behind Sunderland on the last day of the season. I was on the pitch that day and loving it.

Here's the pic of my son cheering the boys on (think I need to get this on the picture that is going in the North Stand Bar if it's not too late)

205156_213431262016240_100000481025368_837807_4802231_n.jpg

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's threads like this that will put a massive smile on Tony Blooms face. He has always said in various interviews that he was financing the stadium for supporters, kids of supporters, and kids of supporters kids, and even further generations that will be born in future years. :)

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Great story thedonkeycentrehalf! And well done to all the Dads in this topic too!

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
My son went to his first game at one month old and is a veteran of over 50 away grounds. He is now 10 and can only remember defeat after defeat. It has not been easy for him living in an area full of plastic premiership 'fans' who tell him again and again that Brighton are rubbish. This year he has relished us being top of the league and has loved watching our team play brilliantly both home and away. He was beside himself with joy when the final whistle went on Tuesday night and can't wait for tomorrow. He also can't wait to get back to school to tell all his friends that Brighton are quite simply the best team in league one by a country mile.

Thank you to everyone who has made this possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here