Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Troops at The Olympics. Shocking way to treat people.

I'm working up at Excel on The Olympics, I've just been up to our staff canteen where there are soldiers sleeping on the floor.
They've not been given any accommodation not even any bedding and are not allowed to use our catering so are on army rations.
What a f***ing shit way to treat people some of whom have literally just got off the plane from Afghanistan.
We've given them our meal tickets and Ive written to my MP.

Proper rubbish.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Surely they love all that stuff?

These blokes are hardened killing machines, for their own sake it's no good making them go soft. They've probably just spent the last 3 months sleeping in the dirt and dodging IEDs and AK47 rounds on a daily basis, a night on the floor in the Excel centre is probably like a 5* hotel to them.

Bit wierd not using the canteen though, if it's there........:shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I understand a lot of the military were due to go on leave after lengthy tours of duty but were made to do the Olympics.

We really do not treat them very well these days, very poor

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
I thank you for giving up your meal ticket but this is totally what i expected to happen , squaddies are used to being treated like shit, (forgotten about )it was the same 30 years ago and i suspect will still be the same in 30 years time. Its what binds us together ( bit like no one likes us we don't care mentality )at least they are in a city (where they can go and buy food ) and not billeted in a barn with a leaking roof out in the country miles from anywhere. which again is what i expected, although there are enough barracks in London to mean this is not necessary that would have taken forthought and planing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I thank you for giving up your meal ticket but this is totally what i expected to happen , squaddies are used to being treated like shit, (forgotten about )it was the same 30 years ago and i suspect will still be the same in 30 years time. Its what binds us together ( bit like no one likes us we don't care mentality )at least they are in a city (where they can go and buy food ) and not billeted in a barn with a leaking roof out in the country miles from anywhere. which again is what i expected, although there are enough barracks in London to mean this is not necessary that would have taken forthought and planing
probably not since they sold off chelsea , i think regents park has gone as well, the rest of your post is about right though.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
woolwich is still there (former recruit training barracks )with all the associated accommodation blocks mess halls ect (also is the venue for the shooting )also could have put up tented accommodation on the common its not like the army is short of tents ect
ps there are also a hell of a lot of TA centeres in london that could have been used

Last edited:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Surely they love all that stuff?

These blokes are hardened killing machines, for their own sake it's no good making them go soft. They've probably just spent the last 3 months sleeping in the dirt and dodging IEDs and AK47 rounds on a daily basis, a night on the floor in the Excel centre is probably like a 5* hotel to them.

Bit wierd not using the canteen though, if it's there........:shrug:

The point being that they are only human, and it's not too much to ask to give them a bit of respect, seeing how the organisers go out of their way to look after VIPs and corporate fat cats.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I agree that at the Olympics they should be treated with more respect. However, if you join the Army as a squaddie you have got to expect to live a hard life. It kinda goes with the territory.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
probably not since they sold off chelsea , i think regents park has gone as well, the rest of your post is about right though.

Probably find that whatever is available has been 'sold' to sponsors, who then won't turn up.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
I cant believe that people think its ok to treat people like this just because they work in the military. OK yes when they are on service abroad there is an obvious assumption that they will live in difficult conditions - part of the job etc. But when they are back for leave and supposed to be living with their families at home, the least we can do is put them up in a reasonable standard of accommodation with a reasonable food allowance. They serve their country and we should ensure that when they are back on home soil on duty, we give them a decent standard of living and a bit of respect.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The point being that they are only human, and it's not too much to ask to give them a bit of respect, seeing how the organisers go out of their way to look after VIPs and corporate fat cats.

This,can`t put any more into print my bloods boiling

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
f***ing disgrace. another reason to hate "2012" the chattering classes and hooray henrys seem the only ones excitied about it. middle england can f*** off.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree that at the Olympics they should be treated with more respect. However, if you join the Army as a squaddie you have got to expect to live a hard life. It kinda goes with the territory.

poor 1/10

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I agree that this treatement is shocking, but when people say this is a sudden change it really isn't IMO.

'Lions led by donkey's' anyone?

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
I'm working up at Excel on The Olympics, I've just been up to our staff canteen where there are soldiers sleeping on the floor.
They've not been given any accommodation not even any bedding and are not allowed to use our catering so are on army rations.
What a f***ing shit way to treat people some of whom have literally just got off the plane from Afghanistan.
We've given them our meal tickets and Ive written to my MP.

Proper rubbish.

After serving for 22 years in the Army (REME) it never comes as a surprise to me how soldiers are treated. However in this situation the guys n'girls have somewhere safe to get their heads down, have some rations, access to toilets (always a result!) and will probably raise public awareness of what a great job the armed forces are doing. I don't think they will be too concerned!

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
My friend's son is in the army and has been drafted in there,accomadation is an old factory nearby and they have to pay to shower!

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Disgusting!!! I doubt that the Officers are being treated this way.[/QUOTE

All of the officers on the ground in the Olympic park will undoubtedly be experiencing exactly the same conditions as their soldiers. The very senior officers wont be anywhere near the Olympic park. (the officer in charge of my section slept in the same hole in the ground as me ate the same food and worked harder had less sleep than me) but don't let my experiences cloud your daft vision of what its like to be a young frontline officer in todays military see vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4POpHJmwSYI

Last edited:

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I agree that this treatement is shocking, but when people say this is a sudden change it really isn't IMO.

'Lions led by donkey's' anyone?

It goes back even longer; Kipling's writings about "Tommy" make that clear. We've never treated our soldiers well. It's shameful but it was ever thus.
Which doesn't mean we shouldn't be putting it right in the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here