Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tribe meets white man for the first time

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyLvdm1JXsg

The most amazing video I have ever seen on the internet. Absolutely incredible stuff. Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time. Filmed in 1976.

Thought I'd pass it on.

The last minute shows the white people record the tribesmans voice and play it back to him. Total headfuck.

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
With my cynical head on it felt a little contrived,.... but assuming I am wrong it was heartwarming for sure.

Sadly 30 odd years later most of those youngsters are now probably humping rocks for an Australian or Chinese strip mining company,.. or logging with the best of them to make way for Palm oil groves.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I saw a film documentary years ago about some party travelling into png interior in the 1930s... ... was pretty amazing.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Can't help thinking, about the possibility, that some of them may now regret having made contact 35 years ago. It would be interesting to see how they live now.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Uplifting but somehow sad at the same time. You get the impression that this chance encounter would have completely altered the complexion of that community and its view of its place in the world.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I wonder if wonderbra has moved in yet?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I read a national geographic article about them a couple of years ago. The person doing the article had to meet with them going by phases of the moon. They only know words for a couple of numbers. He said then they were getting pushed out by intensive farming.

There's also the ricky gervais podcast were they talked about them and Karl called them the 'papa people'.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Cheers Biscuit. I just showed this to my Sociology class and they loved it.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Agreed it's great but why the f*** did they see fit to overdub the undoubtedly incredible recorded sounds with that sodding shite music?. Is there a version without that nonsense on it so you can here whats going on?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here