Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trequartista

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Trequartista: that's what we need, but when?

I can't see Gus playing a true Trequartista (not that there are many I can think of in the game today anyway). Gus wants all of his players to contribute defensively, and I'm sure even Vicente will be expected to do the same. The trend now is instead for wide attacking midfielders that are happy to cut inside and support the striker(s).

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The BBC News described Vicente as an attacking midfielder (=Trequartista)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Midfielder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In lieu of another forward.

But it is the "box to box" midfielder who is worth his weight in gold, e.g. Pop Robson, Trevor Brooking. I would see Will Buckley or possibly Navarro to be the nearest. A 4-3-3 classic system really needs a player like this.

PS Carew (now Wes Tham) played in the 2001 Champions Cup Final for Valencia and Vicente was on the bench. He would be more of a "target man" and he was a free agent as well.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I can't see Gus playing a true Trequartista (not that there are many I can think of in the game today anyway). Gus wants all of his players to contribute defensively, and I'm sure even Vicente will be expected to do the same. The trend now is instead for wide attacking midfielders that are happy to cut inside and support the striker(s).

I agree with you. The true Trequartista where the player plays in the oval behind the strikers is not tenable. Players are expected to cover much more ground and to be on the move. This sorta causes a problem that Vicente will have to play wide on the left and this is a position already covered by Noone. The extra striker is covered by CMS, and I cannot see Vicente having the stamina for the central midfielder. Still if we play deep defensively, he could be an outlet for a defence under pressure, if he can keep possession when harried. The best exponent of this for the Albion was Peter O'Sullivan (who played on the left side of a 4-4-2).

It gives a lot of opportunity for variation in a rotation system. And the rotation system is best because otherwise the team becomes too predictable and can be countered by the opponents.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Vicente to my mind will play the role currently occupied by Barnes. Playing down the right. But with license to interchange and drop in behind cms as and when the pattern of play requires it. This system can be. More rigid or fluent and flowing depending on the amount of possesion we're having. It can also double as a straight 4-5-1.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Vicente to my mind will play the role currently occupied by Barnes. Playing down the right. But with license to interchange and drop in behind cms as and when the pattern of play requires it. This system can be. More rigid or fluent and flowing depending on the amount of possesion we're having. It can also double as a straight 4-5-1.

The only way I can see Vincete and Noone playing in the same side is if we play 4-4-2 diamond interchange* (a mixture of the classic 4-4-2 and the 4-3-1-2) (*my term). I can't see Vincete and Lu Lua or Noone and Lu Lua fitting together in the same side when Buckley and Hoskins are fit! Although that happened.

In the diamond 4-3-1-2 there is a player behind the front two. I don't like this system (flawed). I prefer the classic 4-4-2. In fact, I do not see how Vicente will fit into our system. The Trequartista not being valid behind two strikers.

PS: Can anybody remember. Is Adam El-Abd left footed? I know I have seen him at right back mostly.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A far as I know El-abd is right footed, but he can whack ball out the ground with any foot.

Sounds about right. I hope he gets back soon.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
I can't see Gus letting anyone have no defensive duties.
Which are the consequences of a Trequartista.

There is more than one formation that supports our style but they are all very similar and only have 1 centre forward. Normally it's more of a no.10 than a poacher and the finishers are the wide men cutting inside through channels.

Hopefully we don't do a newcastle & Asprillia and change the system to fit a player and riun it.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I can't see Gus letting anyone have no defensive duties.
Which are the consequences of a Trequartista.

There is more than one formation that supports our style but they are all very similar and only have 1 centre forward. Normally it's more of a no.10 than a poacher and the finishers are the wide men cutting inside through channels.

Hopefully we don't do a newcastle & Asprillia and change the system to fit a player and riun it.

I agree. Trequartista system could be a disaster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here