Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travellers and Robert Kilroy-Silk

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
There's a programme on C4 tonight about Robert Kilroy-Silk living with travellers for a week. Dunno what the outome will be but he stayed with the travellers that live round the corner from my house.

I'll get an insight as to whether I should pay my council tax this year (as a village we are supposedly not going to pay our council tax in protest, I'm more concerned abou the 100% rise in council tax than the travellers at the moment though :eek: )

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
You call them travellers. I call them Pikeys.

Kilroy-Silk is a !!!! anyway. Just doing it to get himself back on the telly.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Virgo's Haircut said:
You call them travellers. I call them Pikeys.

Kilroy-Silk is a !!!! anyway. Just doing it to get himself back on the telly.

I'm hoping that watching this won't make me angry and get on my soap box.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Did you know that calling a Gypsy a PIKEY is like calling a blackman a N***er. Think on..........

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I thought that the term 'gypsy' was now deemed derogatory?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I heard something on radio 2 about it. Another example was that you cannot say Eskimo now but have to say Innuit.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
...and don't dare ask for a sp*de to dig the garden.

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
RB said:
There's a programme on C4 tonight about Robert Kilroy-Silk living with travellers for a week. Dunno what the outome will be but he stayed with the travellers that live round the corner from my house.

I'll get an insight as to whether I should pay my council tax this year (as a village we are supposedly not going to pay our council tax in protest, I'm more concerned abou the 100% rise in council tax than the travellers at the moment though :eek: )
A fine example of a NIMBY you are.You expect the Falmer residents to just accept your circus coming to town every other week with all the social ills that would bring, but a few travellers and you all get on your high horse.:nono:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Re: Re: Travellers and Robert Kilroy-Silk

26-10-02 said:
A fine example of a NIMBY you are.You expect the Falmer residents to just accept your circus coming to town every other week with all the social ills that would bring, but a few travellers and you all get on your high horse.:nono:

Better that our magical circus turn up every week than your freek show:eek:

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Re: Re: Travellers and Robert Kilroy-Silk

26-10-02 said:

Wo there, bit close to jump the gun there. I think you'll find my so called 'high horse' view rather subjective. I was looking for an insight into what it is like at the traveller camp.

Also, you have got no background information on the issues that are going on here at the moment, so until you do please do not throw accusations around.

Also, I think you will find in previous threads that I have stated I was not thinking of refusing to pay my council tax because the traveller camp has not affected me daily. The only problem was noise and anti-social behaviour when they first arrived, which was awful and led to a few rants from which I calmed down, and the fact that my house is probably not worth as much as it could have been, not that that is problem because I'm not considering moving.

As for being called a NIMBY, I would welcome a theatre of dreams to be built close by. There are also plans for a wind farm to be set up locally which has caused lots of opposition. Personally I'd be glad to have one close by.

A NIMBY is something I don't feel I am.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Yorkie said:

That's what I heard. Also the name 'pikey', excuse my ignorance but where does it derive from? I heard it was rhyming slang for 'take what you likey', but I'm sure someone would correct me.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
nobody will pick you up on these.

i half believe the anti-pc brigade make it up to make us anti-pc.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yorkie said:

It depends.

It is deemed ok to call them Romany Gypsys and I guess they did not mind Kilroy and the show referring to them as gypsys because they had acknowledged the Romany part earlier on.

Gypsy on its own is deemed a bit offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here