Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel to London

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Taking 3 kids up to London for the day Monday and thinking of driving most of the way if not all.

Where does the congestion charge start and where would be best to park?

We are going on the Tour bus first which we can pick up anywhere but main points are Victoria, Marble Arch, Greenpark.

Any ideas?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Indeed, why drive. It's easy on the chuffer to Vic, and you're in the right place for the Sightseeing buses. It's pretty easy to get around town everywhere after that. Would avoid rush-hour on the trains though (morning & eve), both for the expense and the chance of getting seat.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
I cant be arsed with the train. Park at Brighton station pay shit loads for 2 adults and 3 kids and sit (if your lucky) in a filthy crate.
Apart from that, I love our Railways.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Look online for a cheap ticket for you now and buy kids tickets for a quid on the day to Victoria and you can do the train for less than 20 quid.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
The map of the congestion zone is here: Maps and times Transport for London

If you're driving up you could try going straight up the A23 and parking in Brixton, then catching the Victoria line up to Victoria or Green Park. One of the back roads around the Brixton Academy might work for parking but be careful because a lot of them are residents' parking or extortionate on the meter.

Unless there's a massive price difference I'd seriously recommend taking the train instead, though! No fun driving up through Streatham (and uncomfortably close to Palace...).

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Look online for a cheap ticket for you now and buy kids tickets for a quid on the day to Victoria and you can do the train for less than 20 quid.

Kids for a quid?? Must be some catch...kids a quid adults contact your local mortgage broker, your going to need him

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the congestion charge starts at Elphant and Castle or the river round to the west of there.

the best place to park is your drive or your nearest railway station. don't drive, you will spend 2 hours each way on the road, half of that in heavy traffic through south London. go off peak im sure it will be cheaper than petrol and alot nicer day for you. have a beer on the train home. or the way up.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Why not just drive around London and show them the sites in your car, you won't have to worry about parking at all then.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Up the A23, onto the M23, through to Purley Oaks. Free car park at the station and 20 minutes into Victoria on the choo choo

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Kids for a quid?? Must be some catch...kids a quid adults contact your local mortgage broker, your going to need him

On thetrainline.com:

Two adults, Monday 11th April, departing 10.19 from Brighton, returning 16.06 from Victoria: £30 total for both people (supersaver return).

I'm supposed to be working and am bored, but that took five minutes to find out! Come on take the train, man!

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
£46 online for 2 adults and 3 kids after 9 from Brighton bargain. I will spend the rest dry cleaning my clothes after.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
£46 online for 2 adults and 3 kids after 9 from Brighton bargain. I will spend the rest dry cleaning my clothes after.

Since when are the trains dirty - I use them Shoreham to London every day, never had a problem. Granted, I probably wouldn't want to eat off the floor, but then I wouldn't in my kitchen either.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if you're worried about dirty trains (they arent) you probably want to avoid dirty old London town in the first place. :lolol:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
You can drive to Morden Underground station very easily from Brighton - its just north of Sutton on the A217/A24 - and get the Northern line into West End or City
from there.

There is a multi storey car park next door where you can park all day.

One word of warning though - avoid both rush hours like the plague - it gets badly overcrowded - but outside of the rush it is fine.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

They've come on a bit since the Jimmy Saville days, I think you might even be pleasantly surprised.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I found 7 quid each way for you and the kids for a quid from brighton on Monday but you seem adamant on driving. That Purley Oaks idea looks good though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here