Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Training Facilities

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Following on from Sky Sports News reports and the bit about our training ground.....are there plans for better facilities to be built along with Falmer?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Following on from Sky Sports News reports and the bit about our training ground.....are there plans for better facilities to be built along with Falmer?

I have heard that apart from a gymnasium, I think within the stadium building somewhere, that there are no plans for any further added training facilities.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually the facilities aren't THAT bad compared to the old days when the players used to train at Hove Park or Waterhall.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Do you need better facilities to do more running and practice hoofing the ball up to the centre forward?

Yeah very funny! No my point is when Falmer is built we will have the chance of attracting very decent players and training facilities can be an issue. I am not having a go or being negative I just wondered. Thinking about it I am sure the club will have plans along these lines anyway.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think the club's training ground is actually owned by the University of Sussex. They do their gym stuff at the Health & Racquets Club - the same club that has had more than a few gripes about the stadium plans.

If the club wants to make any improvements to the ground, it would possibly have to purchase the ground from UoS (though not definitely), and have to apply for planning permission.

From Lewes District Council.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think the club's training ground is actually owned by the University of Sussex. They do their gym stuff at the Health & Racquets Club - the same club that has had more than a few gripes about the stadium plans.

If the club wants to make any improvements to the ground, it would possibly have to purchase the ground from UoS (though not definitely), and have to apply for planning permission.

From Lewes District Council.

I can understand that the boards priority must be to get the Stadium built and to impliment training facilities would add extra expense and no doubt a few more hoops to jump through.

But it might be an opportunity missed as the training facilites at Falmer aren't looked upon favourably by many.

I am sure that on Wednesdays the playing staff are not permitted to access the playing fields, having to use the Astro Turf Area instead and the UoS groundsman can defer training sessions if he decides the grounds are too wet, thats not ideal.

There is also a significant rental charged by the University of Sussex to the club, which might be better spent on including a 1st class training facility.

The UoS probably can't believe their luck.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Is it possible that once the staduim is built, the club may have some spare cash to put into training facilities?

Just a thought.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I can understand that the boards priority must be to get the Stadium built and to impliment training facilities would add extra expense and no doubt a few more hoops to jump through.

But it might be an opportunity missed as the training facilites at Falmer aren't looked upon favourably by many.

I am sure that on Wednesdays the playing staff are not permitted to access the playing fields, having to use the Astro Turf Area instead and the UoS groundsman can defer training sessions if he decides the grounds are too wet, thats not ideal.

There is also a significant rental charged by the University of Sussex to the club, which might be better spent on including a 1st class training facility.

The UoS probably can't believe their luck.

I think that your first paragraph is right but maybe it's not so much a missed opportunity as an 'opportunity too far' given the stadium situation. The twin evils of planning permission and funding would raise their heads again. And location? You said earlier that you believed that there is to be a gym in the new stadium. If so, that will solve some of the problem.

After that, who knows? Let's get the stadium first!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think that your first paragraph is right but maybe it's not so much a missed opportunity as an 'opportunity too far' given the stadium situation. The twin evils of planning permission and funding would raise their heads again. And location? You said earlier that you believed that there is to be a gym in the new stadium. If so, that will solve some of the problem.

After that, who knows? Let's get the stadium first!

I agree.

But I just wonder what the significant rental currently being paid to UoS might buy you today in so much as covering costs of acquiring our very own training facility.

But I accept that in todays market a continuation to pay these costs might be the only viable option compared to trying to raise the extra monies to fund a new training ground.

However at the stadiums inception there might of been an opportunity that was missed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I agree.

But I just wonder what the significant rental currently being paid to UoS might buy you today in so much as covering costs of acquiring our very own training facility.

But I accept that in todays market a continuation to pay these costs might be the only viable option compared to trying to raise the extra monies to fund a new training ground.

However at the stadiums inception there might of been an opportunity that was missed.

Two points: One, how do you know that the rent is 'significant'?

Two, what does the stadium have to do with training facilities? Are you saying that there should have been a training ground put in with the plans?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
when I worked in the planning department at the council about 5 years ago, there were artists impressions and drawings submitted for a new sports complx at UoS, had about 8 different football pitches in 3 different surfaces, about 6 tennis courts in hard and grass, running track, loads of sports facilties, think they had some kind of olympic village type thing.

I remember thinking the Albion would be brilliant there, with Falmer across the road. But I dont think these plans were evr submitted, or if they did go to planning committee, they must have been rejected

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Two points: One, how do you know that the rent is 'significant'?

Two, what does the stadium have to do with training facilities? Are you saying that there should have been a training ground put in with the plans?

Dont get all stroppy because I happen to know how much they pay a month, it aint no big deal, but it seems a very significant monthly sum.

Firstly you must accept how important training facilities are to the progress of the team and I mean every detail.

Falmer looks quite decent, but as I pointed out they are dictated to by the University, sometimes leading to problems in the weekly routine.

My point is that IF the club could have included new training facilites, no matter where, then any repayment by the club on those raised funds might actually be less than the monthly amount that they currently pay, whilst we have acquired our own training facility, that would not derail any planned training schedule, which some managers might argue translate into a few extra points a season.

But not knowing just how much a new training facility might cost and any charges that would be associated with that training facility then maybe Falmer remains the only option.

But still a very expensive one.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dont get all stroppy because I happen to know how much they pay a month, it aint no big deal, but it seems a very significant monthly sum.

Firstly you must accept how important training facilities are to the progress of the team and I mean every detail.

Falmer looks quite decent, but as I pointed out they are dictated to by the University, sometimes leading to problems in the weekly routine.

My point is that IF the club could have included new training facilites, no matter where, then any repayment by the club on those raised funds might actually be less than the monthly amount that they currently pay, whilst we have acquired our own training facility, that would not derail any planned training schedule, which some managers might argue translate into a few extra points a season.

But not knowing just how much a new training facility might cost and any charges that would be associated with that training facility then maybe Falmer remains the only option.

But still a very expensive one.

I don't get stroppy with you. Ever. I put you right, then you usually reject it thanks to your own 'true belief', but I don't get stroppy.

So, you feel a sense of smug vindication because you know precisely the rent of the Sussex University pitches and training facility. Good for you. I notice you avoided telling us HOW you know.

You have also avoided my second question. We could apply for new training facilities anytime, anywhere - cost and availability allowing. So, 'could have' is not relevant. We still can. So what does the construction and subsequent use of the stadium have to do with the training facilities?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't get stroppy with you. Ever. I put you right, then you usually reject it thanks to your own 'true belief', but I don't get stroppy.

So, you feel a sense of smug vindication because you know precisely the rent of the Sussex University pitches and training facility. Good for you. I notice you avoided telling us HOW you know.

You have also avoided my second question. We could apply for new training facilities anytime, anywhere - cost and availability allowing. So, 'could have' is not relevant. We still can. So what does the construction and subsequent use of the stadium have to do with the training facilities?

You just did get stroppy ..... again !

Hold on here, I cannot for the life of me see how anyone could feel a sense of superiority over knowing a figure that the club might be paying on their training pitches, you might but I dont.

It is interesting to see just how much any organisation might pay for certain things but beyond that I do not share your view that I wish to gleen some kinda kudos from that, its childish !

Your second point is that of course they can at anytime, but usually at a time of major construction, investment and planning it is a likely time for such an issue to be considered rather than at any other times.

The Stadium is inextricably linked to the success of the team and therefore a major factor would be training facilities.

I just pondered the thought that not only could they have full control of a better training facility, but it would in the medium term might eleviate the ongoing monthly liability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here