Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train ticket bollocks

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
...and fine you for breaking your journey.

Nope, wont be fined for doing that, unless your on a set train - could get off at every station along the route if you wanted.

Seeing as ive just got a job with Southern (only for the Olympics - i need the money), i know what i will be looking forward to now !!!! Being moaned at daily and being told im incompetent :)

Ticketing system is bloody complicated but what can you do. And the actual service Southern provide is set by the Department for Transport, Southern just get paid to run it. Decision for toiletless trains was also by the DfT for extra capacity to be provided on the Coast (look at the positives for no toilets, more space on them after a game at the Amex).

I honestly do hope i get based at Brighton, as it would be possible if you have a problem - i might be your personal punchbag :)

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I contacted Southern about this, and asked why there were doing it.

Apparently, 90% of the people who take this train don't use it for the whole journey, therefore toilets were not deemed necessary. I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of their reason for doing it.

Apparently, as laid down in law, train companies are not obliged to offer toilet facilities on any of their trains.

It was also down to the pile of Shit ex London overground trains they bought didn't have loos and they couldn't be arsedto fork out to install them when they were refurbished.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I see [MENTION=2159]Digweeds Trousers[/MENTION] is what a train company would probably consider "another satisfied customer".

I like it when the trains release their punctuality figures. Your average Nigel may have a front telling anyone who will listen that Wilfred Zaha will be a £10m top 4 Champions League player next season, but even a Nigel would blush if they were asked to publish lies as blatent as the official train punctuality results.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Nope, wont be fined for doing that, unless your on a set train - could get off at every station along the route if you wanted.

Seeing as ive just got a job with Southern (only for the Olympics - i need the money), i know what i will be looking forward to now !!!! Being moaned at daily and being told im incompetent :)

Ticketing system is bloody complicated but what can you do. And the actual service Southern provide is set by the Department for Transport, Southern just get paid to run it. Decision for toiletless trains was also by the DfT for extra capacity to be provided on the Coast (look at the positives for no toilets, more space on them after a game at the Amex).

I honestly do hope i get based at Brighton, as it would be possible if you have a problem - i might be your personal punchbag :)

I'm not angry about it, just incredulous when it comes to the whole system and the way it operates.

I was verging on anger when some fool saw fit to fine me for 'fare evasion' when I had not, but c'est la vie.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Simster -

Blame successive governments for privatisation. My Dad worked on BR trains for 25 years
and he has never forgiven the mostly Tory govts for doing this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Use RedSpottedHankey instead - much better

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
What a mental situation the train on-line booking system is. I want to go to Scarborough in 3 weeks (returning the following day), and the cheapest way of doing this is to buy FIVE separate tickets.

I could actually understand it if these were simply natural journey changes meaning my service took me across different train operators, but that is only part of the story:

I want to get the Kings X to York train. The cheapest on-line quote for a single that I can get is £43.70. However if I split this so that I buy one ticket from Kings X to Grantham, that would cost me £18.60. Then Grantham to York **on the same train!!** is £15.80, so that is £34 for the same journey but with two single tickets instead of one.

Who the hell is responsible for this shambles?

Don't have time to read through the whole 4 pages (sorry), but if you have yet to book the tickets, consider going by coach. National Express do journeys to Scarborough for around £40. It takes a little bit longer, but from my experience coming back home from uni, it's far more pleasant than the train. The coach is cheaper, quieter, less busy, more direct and more punctual, so it's worth considering if you're really fed up with the train.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well I quite like ticketing system, purely on the basis that it is so complicated, meaning most of you cannot use it, so cheaper tickets to away games for me.
along with the lack of bogs, the delays, the revenue protection twats and gash 50 year old carriages?

Because it all comes bundled together as one big turd pie with extra bum gravy as far as I can see.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
along with the lack of bogs, the delays, the revenue protection twats and gash 50 year old carriages?

Because it all comes bundled together as one big turd pie with extra bum gravy as far as I can see.

But for the local journeys, the ticketing system is not an issue.

The fact most of you are incapable of working out the system for long journeys is good news for me.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What a mental situation the train on-line booking system is. I want to go to Scarborough in 3 weeks (returning the following day), and the cheapest way of doing this is to buy FIVE separate tickets.

I could actually understand it if these were simply natural journey changes meaning my service took me across different train operators, but that is only part of the story:

I want to get the Kings X to York train. The cheapest on-line quote for a single that I can get is £43.70. However if I split this so that I buy one ticket from Kings X to Grantham, that would cost me £18.60. Then Grantham to York **on the same train!!** is £15.80, so that is £34 for the same journey but with two single tickets instead of one.

Who the hell is responsible for this shambles?

If you have any morals, you will step off the train at Grantham for 2 seconds and then get back on (and hope your seat is still free).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
They are the most comfortable I find anyway.

Rubbish. And sim is right I DONT EXPECT THE RAIL COMPANY TO SPEND MY MONEY ON OLD STOCK. And if they do then like he says i expect it properly serviced. How many f***ing times has gatwick express been cancelled to and from LB and Victoria?

the information should be released, those responsible sacked, and the company fined to the nth degree. I am absolutely sick to death of those carriages.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It goes all the way back to privatisation, blame whoever worked out it would be better to split up everything into tiny pieces and expect then it to work in a co-ordinated fashion

Imagine what a f*** up they'll make of the NHS when it's fully privatised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here