Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train ticket bollocks

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I do agree with you about the TOC responce, Southern are pretty slow to put info out there, but once they get it out it is generally consistent. Compare them to say FCC or Southeastern - where at times you can be stuck with no info and their staff run around like headless chickens.

Surely must be plans if disruption happens on any part of a line of any kind.

To run a decent railway you shouldn't be waiting around for Toc's to make decisions, But one big problem the privatised railway has created is it's made people scared of making decisions because of the financial implications.

We shouldn't even be discussing not having toilets on our trains in the year 2012.
Has anyone EVER found a toilet on a London Underground train (or station)?

Has anyone EVER thought to complain about this?

Bear in mind, the system celebrates its 150th anniversary next year, and that it's possible to make a journey that lasts over 90 minutes without changing trains, and that more than 1.1 BILLION passenger journeys are made every year.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Bear in mind, the system celebrates its 150th anniversary next year, and that it's possible to make a journey that lasts over 90 minutes without changing trains, and that more than 1.1 BILLION passenger journeys are made every year.

I just said that but the NSC hysterical over reacters don't want to listen

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
and Blair, Brown and Prescott really did so much to improve things in their 13 years in power?

But. They. Were. Privatised. By. Then.

They had lost control on the railways. That is what happens when you go down that road. Utilities anyone ?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

The issue with this is that LU has always been privatised. Where as the national rail network was at one point, for a substantion period of time publically owned. once it was privatised again profit became the only thing that mattered/matters. Now we are paying a fares, which are rising above inflation (and they were f***ing high anyway!) and they show no signs of stopping.

The issue with this is that LU has always been privatised.
No it hasn't. It was nationalised by the Labour Government in 1948 and (like British Rail) was controlled by the British Transport Commission.

Even today, London Underground Limited is in public ownership. The infrastructure and rolling stock are maintained by private sector companies, but that's not the same as the whole underground system being privatised.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
What about the Underground in London, takes a good hour or so from one end to the other on most lines and even their newest stock doesn't have a toilet nor do the stations.

For some reason it's always been deemed acceptable on the underground system not that I agree with it though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There has been cuts since Beeching in 1965, with so many rural areas now cut off. Of course these lines are not going to be profitable. I guess this is just how you stand politically. I am happy to subsidise non profitable areas to maintain a service the whole country can be proud off.
When the railways - our railways by the way - were sold off in 93 they went out to over 100 different companies. The legislation involved keeping everything together was crazy and the results were obvious. Virgin received millions upon millions in subsidies.........well make your effing mind up Thatcher.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Really I thought the minimum fare was £4 for one stop ?

Only for anyone stupid enough not to have an Oyster card. For the rest of us it's £2 a journey for the most part. Consider that one of the shortest possible journeys on a Southern train (running even OLDER stock than London Underground) would be between Brighton and London Road and yet that'll cost you £2.40 off peak.

On a tube train you can travel all the way from West Ruislip to Epping in ESSEX for just £2.90. That's a journey of over an hour and twenty minutes costing just 50p more than a journey of less than THREE minutes.

The Underground is far from perfect BUT in terms of value for money it pisses all over the services we receive from Southern and First Crapital Connect down here. For this reason it seems unnecessary to complain about lack of toilet facilities. Frankly they're not factored into the price so we get a cheaper fare. By comparison Southern have been charging us happily, through the nose, for use of their trains with very basic toilet facilities and yet when they remove said facilities do the prices drop to reflect this? Do they f***.

In fact whilst we're comparing the Underground, why not consider the immense cost of running and maintaining a subterranean rail network that is over 100 years old with that of the fairly straightforward above ground network that Southern run on the East Coastway line to Seaford? You don't have to have a degree in engineering to work out that the tube must cost about ten times what the East Coastway line does to run AND YET it's so much cheaper it's laughable.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
The government needs to step in and enforce a price per mile on and off peak on the train companies. Then pricing would be simple...going from X->Y? On or Off Peak? thats 20 miles which is £Z.ZZ * 20. Simple

You can be sure as shit they already know every distance of every track because its costs them money to maintain.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
In fact whilst we're comparing the Underground, why not consider the immense cost of running and maintaining a subterranean rail network that is over 100 years old with that of the fairly straightforward above ground network that Southern run on the East Coastway line to Seaford? You don't have to have a degree in engineering to work out that the tube must cost about ten times what the East Coastway line does to run AND YET it's so much cheaper it's laughable.

Well London Underground does have a hell of a lot more passengers using it than the Coastway East line and makes a lot more money because of its high use. All maintenance of the Underground is done in house as well - which makes things simpler.

You don't have to have a degree in engineering to work out that the tube must cost about ten times what the East Coastway line does to run AND YET it's so much cheaper it's laughable.

The government needs to step in and enforce a price per mile on and off peak on the train companies. Then pricing would be simple...going from X->Y? On or Off Peak? thats 20 miles which is £Z.ZZ * 20. Simple

Well London Underground does have a hell of a lot more passengers using it than the Coastway East line and makes a lot more money because of its high use.
Stack these three arguments up against each other and you'll see the problem.

Why shouldn't fares be lower (in terms of pence per mile) if the trains are full? Introduce a standard mileage charge and average it across the network and you'll find that the fares that would go up would be the fares on the busiest routes - with disastrous consequences for traffic congestion, as vast numbers of passengers deserted the railway. Fares on routes like the line to Seaford might go down and it would easily become a big loss-maker, ripe for closure.

London Underground can divide their costs between 1.1 billion passengers a year - they can afford to keep the average fare down.

Good God almighty - I really do worry that you have come to believe the outrageous shite you are serving up (I guess you work on the railways right?)

You honestly think that charging members of the public over-inflated prices for an appalling service that many elderly people and people with young children rely on to get around the towns and cities of this country, and then expecting them to time their toilet habits or requirements with a train timetable is accpetabl.

I would love you to come into my friends restaurant.

Firstly - before you've ordered a f***ing thing I will ask for the bill in full up front - and then inform you that it may well be possible that the chef will decide he cant cook - you can leave your table and f*** off home and I will refer you to a telephone number if you want a refund.

When you order your wine I will tell you that although you have a voucher and it says clear as f***ing bell outside the restuarant that between 6.30pm and 9pom families of four eat for £15 a head - I will tell you, having demanded to see the voucher and at the top of my voice shouted that you rae using the wrong voucher and trying to commit fraud - I will then either A - throw you and your kids onto the street and tell you never to come back or B - you maust pay £90 a head as you have the wrong voucher

If you are lucky enough to stay for the starter and main I will serve you cold inedible shite and when you complain politely I will walk pas you rudely and mutter over my shoulder without stopping that Its's not my problem.

I will then take your pudding away when you are half way through eating them and tell you that the kitchen in closing early due to unforseen circumstance (when in fact the chef has got blind drunk, pissed himself and passed out in the kitchen) and that depsite the fact I have taken your money and charged you 7x the advertised amount you can now f*** off and how you get home is not my concern.

As you leave, the somelier will stop you at the door, accuse you of stealing, fraudulent behaviour and fine you £30 just to get out onto the pavement.

Your flippant defence of the indefensible really gets my f***ing goat as you personally would never accept this type of service - and you seem to think its f***ing fine for us to pay through the nose for a service that seems to be run by a bunch or illiterate rude obnoxious f*** ups.

I swear to f***ing christ that there are tribes of ancient man yet undiscovered leaving in the amazon basin that could run a train service better than the bunch of ignorant, lazy wankers that seem to patrol the trinas today.

Bastards bastards bastards the lot of you.

Your so right its scary!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here