Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train ticket bollocks

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Bit of a cop out trying to blame Network Rail for all the delays during disruption, Yes they are responsible for the track and signalling but it's still the toc's responsibility to arrange any changes to they're services and in my experience Southern are the worst and the slowest to react to any incidents. During incidents on the line it's Network Rails job to try and keep the trains moving no matter what Toc they belong too, But it's a job thats been made a lot harder since privatisation because you have to wait for company's like Southern to decide what you can do with they're trains every time rather than just getting on with keeping the trains moving.

I do agree with you about the TOC responce, Southern are pretty slow to put info out there, but once they get it out it is generally consistent. Compare them to say FCC or Southeastern - where at times you can be stuck with no info and their staff run around like headless chickens.

Surely must be plans if disruption happens on any part of a line of any kind.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Well id be sensible about it and not drink loads before going on, or i would go before getting on the train. Could also use an alternative way of getting along the line if you honestly think you may need the toilet (use the Southampton train to Havant and change there for another Southern train to Portsmouth about 5 minutes later - both have toilets).

Nope, the 377s used currently by FCC were due to be transferred to Southern in the next year or so - but because the new order on the Thameslink trains has been delayed, Southern wont get them back on time, hence why they have had to make a new order to cover the planned future changes. When FCC get their new trains, Southern will also then get their 377s, which could then mean the end of the 313s.

I knew FCC were involved in the 377s somehow.

I woudln't have a problem, if I wasn't paying through the nose for service which is shite on trains which have no facilities.

If i was paying a couple of hundred less a term, i could stomach not having toilets, not having tables for me to do uni work on the train ect ect. But the fact is we're being ripped off.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I do agree with you about the TOC responce, Southern are pretty slow to put info out there, but once they get it out it is generally consistent. Compare them to say FCC or Southeastern - where at times you can be stuck with no info and their staff run around like headless chickens.

Surely must be plans if disruption happens on any part of a line of any kind.

FCC are equally appauling. They're often voted the worst TOC in the UK.

South West Trains, who are usually pretty good were horseshit a week or so ago.

For an hour and a half not a single train left Portsmouth Harbour, some arrived to be sent to fratton TMD empty. Shambles. But SWT run trains with decent facilities, they are usually pretty good so it was less of a kick in the teeth.

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Not ridiculous at all - an alternative is there - its not as if your wandering around Havant for an hour waiting for a connecting train - ITS 5 MINUTES BEHIND !! Both trains have toilets, so if for example you are infirm - you could use this service. Although of course it doesnt help if your disabled or elderly. Not my reasons/solutions either - these were the ones given by Southern (some ill admit are a load of crap, but when they have their hands tied by the DfT, what can you do ?)

Good God almighty - I really do worry that you have come to believe the outrageous shite you are serving up (I guess you work on the railways right?)

You honestly think that charging members of the public over-inflated prices for an appalling service that many elderly people and people with young children rely on to get around the towns and cities of this country, and then expecting them to time their toilet habits or requirements with a train timetable is accpetabl.

I would love you to come into my friends restaurant.

Firstly - before you've ordered a f***ing thing I will ask for the bill in full up front - and then inform you that it may well be possible that the chef will decide he cant cook - you can leave your table and f*** off home and I will refer you to a telephone number if you want a refund.

When you order your wine I will tell you that although you have a voucher and it says clear as f***ing bell outside the restuarant that between 6.30pm and 9pom families of four eat for £15 a head - I will tell you, having demanded to see the voucher and at the top of my voice shouted that you rae using the wrong voucher and trying to commit fraud - I will then either A - throw you and your kids onto the street and tell you never to come back or B - you maust pay £90 a head as you have the wrong voucher

If you are lucky enough to stay for the starter and main I will serve you cold inedible shite and when you complain politely I will walk pas you rudely and mutter over my shoulder without stopping that Its's not my problem.

I will then take your pudding away when you are half way through eating them and tell you that the kitchen in closing early due to unforseen circumstance (when in fact the chef has got blind drunk, pissed himself and passed out in the kitchen) and that depsite the fact I have taken your money and charged you 7x the advertised amount you can now f*** off and how you get home is not my concern.

As you leave, the somelier will stop you at the door, accuse you of stealing, fraudulent behaviour and fine you £30 just to get out onto the pavement.

Your flippant defence of the indefensible really gets my f***ing goat as you personally would never accept this type of service - and you seem to think its f***ing fine for us to pay through the nose for a service that seems to be run by a bunch or illiterate rude obnoxious f*** ups.

I swear to f***ing christ that there are tribes of ancient man yet undiscovered leaving in the amazon basin that could run a train service better than the bunch of ignorant, lazy wankers that seem to patrol the trinas today.

Bastards bastards bastards the lot of you.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Good God almighty - I really do worry that you have come to believe the outrageous shite you are serving up (I guess you work on the railways right?)

You honestly think that charging members of the public over-inflated prices for an appalling service that many elderly people and people with young children rely on to get around the towns and cities of this country, and then expecting them to time their toilet habits or requirements with a train timetable is accpetabl.

Firstly - before you've ordered a f***ing thing I will ask for the bill in full up front - and then inform you that it may well be possible that the chef will decide he cant cook - you can leave your table and f*** off home and I will refer you to a telephone number if you want a refund.

When you order your wine I will tell you that although you have a voucher and it says clear as f***ing bell outside the restuarant that between 6.30pm and 9pom families of four eat for £15 a head - I will tell you, having demanded to see the voucher and at the top of my voice shouted that you rae using the wrong voucher and trying to commit fraud - I will then either A - throw you and your kids onto the street and tell you never to come back or B - you maust pay £90 a head as you have the wrong voucher

If you are lucky enough to stay for the starter and main I will serve you cold inedible shite and when you complain politely I will walk pas you rudely and mutter over my shoulder without stopping that Its's not my problem.

I will then take your pudding away when you are half way through eating them and tell you that the kitchen in closing early due to unforseen circumstance (when in fact the chef has got blind drunk, pissed himself and passed out in the kitchen) and that depsite the fact I have taken your money and charged you 7x the advertised amount you can now f*** off and how you get home is not my concern.

As you leave, the somelier will stop you at the door, accuse you of stealing, fraudulent behaviour and fine you £30 just to get out onto the pavement.

Presumably there's no toilet facilities in your friend's restaurant either?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Your flippant defence of the indefensible really gets my f***ing goat as you personally would never accept this type of service - and you seem to think its f***ing fine for us to pay through the nose for a service that seems to be run by a bunch or illiterate rude obnoxious f*** ups.

I swear to f***ing christ that there are tribes of ancient man yet undiscovered leaving in the amazon basin that could run a train service better than the bunch of ignorant, lazy wankers that seem to patrol the trinas today.

:bowdown:

I could not have put it BETTER myself. Well I would have used the word **** ALOT more.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its fair to say that passengers/commuters are being SHAFTED left right and centre because there are too many interested parties.

And anyone who disagrees I will cause them physical harm.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Presumably there's no toilet facilities in your friend's restaurant either?

and the heating doesn't work in the winter, nor the air conditioning in the summer?

and more than half of the customers are forced to stand, squashed together, even though they turn up at the same time every day so you should know you need more seats - perhaps you can't be arsed to provide them, but are still happy to take their money?

and don't get me started on the 8% rise in prices this year, despite the appalling quality of the service! :angry:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Not going to disagree with you on a lot of points, its a million miles away from perfect and it never, ever will be. Ive used the trains for a long time, yeah ive had problems - ive had times where ive been stuck on trains without power for a good couple of hours, most recently because of a trespasser on the track - and ill admit it took ages to get any info so all that needs sorting (although each time they say its being looked at - never is though).

Fares are ludicrously expensive and with high fares people expect a better service, but of course nothing is changing (was all the new trains about 10 years ago but nothing much more than that). All down to the government cutting money on the railway so the passenger has to pay more yet in other countries, like Holland, their fares are a hell of a lot lower as it is state run and state funded - perhaps the railways need to be nationalised again ?

Delays cant be helped, things do go wrong and that wont happen. There will always be signal failures, emergency engineering work, people being hit by trains etc - the plans to get people moving during incidents needs to be worked out and the companies need to bloody communicate and not sit on their arses for a couple of hours, whilst people are still stranded.

Attitude of some staff members is a bit pathetic as well, i will admit - but aggressive passengers isnt really going to make them happier. Ganging up on staff members expecting them to have instant answers and instant solutions, but when they give a responce you dont like - being aggressive to them, despite them only giving out what has been told by their manager is hardly fair on them - its only their job. Dont expect the person being abusive to the staff member would like a role reversal with them telling them they are shit at their job and constantly having a go at them.

Oh, in reply to your first question - yes.

Last edited:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
And some sh*t will stand right in front of the door while you're trying to leave the restaurant, blocking your way, even though there are glass panels in the door and its clear someone is about to leave!

ANd people will go in and clog up right by the door, despite the fact there are tables (and seats) further inside !!!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
ANd people will go in and clog up right by the door, despite the fact there are tables (and seats) further inside !!!

But Southern will lock the door to the restaurant at 10pm tonight and tomorrow night, when lots of people will be wanting to eat there. We'll be able to see lots of empty tables through the window as we queue for a burger van instead!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
But Southern will lock the door to the restaurant at 10pm tonight and tomorrow night, when lots of people will be wanting to eat there. We'll be able to see lots of empty tables through the window as we queue for a burger van instead!

Ah yes, all because the restaurant didnt speak to other people about something big happening on their doorstep :nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Post of the month, and 100% spot on. Although you have missed the facts that your mate's restaurant is the only place that sells food in the town it operates, there are five waiters employed because 3 are likely to be off work at any given time owing to "stress", and the chef is threatening to go on strike again because of corporate bullying. i.e. the restaurant asked him to do something wholey unreasonable like spend 2 minutes of his own time before his shift starts in order to make sure he has washed his hands.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

f***ing amazing

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

NSC ranting at its very best. I take my hat off to you, sir.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you voted Tory in 87 and 92 and didn,t see the mess the railways would become - and bear in mind the pressure the train companies had to come under just to put new rolling stock out there - then you should not really be allowed out on your own.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If you voted Tory in 87 and 92 and didn,t see the mess the railways would become - and bear in mind the pressure the train companies had to come under just to put new rolling stock out there - then you should not really be allowed out on your own.

and Blair, Brown and Prescott really did so much to improve things in their 13 years in power?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If i was paying a couple of hundred less a term, i could stomach not having toilets, not having tables for me to do uni work on the train ect ect. But the fact is we're being ripped off.

We shouldn't even be discussing not having toilets on our trains in the year 2012.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here