Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train ticket bollocks

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There is no incentive to work that out as every company only works in its own interests
That's a bit short-sighted - there is every incentive. People on this very thread are saying it is cheaper to drive and pay a congestion charge because train pricing is total wank.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Then you know the answer, too many different interests for it ever to work.

Sorry - i edited my point above.

You can't simply blame privatisation (accepted that it WAS the root cause), when there have been wha,t fifteen? years since to sort out the ticketing farce. Every transport minister since is culpable, for not simply forcing the train companies to sort it out.

Produce a ticket pricing / booking plan. Make it compulsory for every company to follow it, and revoke the licences of any who don't.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Sorry - i edited my point above.

You can't simply blame privatisation (accepted that it WAS the root cause), when there have ben what fifteen? years since to sort out the ticketing farce. Every transport minister since is culpable, for not simply forcing the train companies to sort it out.

Produce a ticket pricing / booking planmake it compulsory for every company to follow it, and revoke the licences of any who don't.

Totally agree with you, we tell the powers that be that the ticketing policies are too complicated for us to follow so what would a passenger do ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a bit short-sighted - there is every incentive. People on this very thread are saying it is cheaper to drive and pay a congestion charge because train pricing is total wank.

Spot on. For the companies to think they are somehow benefitting from this is utterly moronic. Plenty of potential customers avoid the trains altogether, because the service is simply inadequate, both in terms of pricing, ease of use and reliability.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Spot on. For the companies to think they are somehow benefitting from this is utterly moronic. Plenty of potential customers avoid the trains altogether, because the service is simply inadequate, both in terms of pricing, ease of use and reliability.

Dont even get me started on the gatwick express carriages "reliability"....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There is no incentive to work that out as every company only works in its own interests

Why would it not be in their interests to make it easier for more paying customers to use them?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What do you expect from something that is 30 years old ?
He probably expects it to be serviced appropriately so that it doesn't break down and hold up all the other trains.

And when I'm standing on a platform waiting for the 08:23, why does the "information" board wait until 8:24 to update us and tell us it is arriving at 8:26, only for the train still not to arrive at 8:26? Isn't it someone's job to keep passengers informed? That's normally 5 wasted minutes - time I could have used to have a piss, in the rare event that the toilet isn't f***ing locked.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I can see exactly how it will pan out Sim, just as you pull in to Stevenage the ticket inspector will come and check your ticket. On seeing your first ticket he'll question why you aren't getting up to alight from the train (obviously in a really nasal voice), at which point you will produce your second ticket for the continuation of your journey. This is the point at which I foresee him uttering the words "I'm afraid your ticket is only valid if you leave the train at Stevenage sir". You'll have to disembark the train and re-board to be greeted by your new friend "your second ticket is only valid for new passengers on this service, you have already been on this train so you will have to purchase a new ticket".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why would it not be in their interests to make it easier for more paying customers to use them?

Ah, but if too many people want to use trains they will have to close the stations. We cannot have more than 30 people getting on a Falmer for example...health and safety.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
He probably expects it to be serviced appropriately so that it doesn't break down and hold up all the other trains.

And when I'm standing on a platform waiting for the 08:23, why does the "information" board wait until 8:24 to update us and tell us it is arriving at 8:26, only for the train still not to arrive at 8:26? Isn't it someone's job to keep passengers informed? That's normally 5 wasted minutes - time I could have used to have a piss, in the rare event that the toilet isn't f***ing locked.
Its your age mate, you would only have had to go again on the train :lolol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Part of the problem is the people that work on the system. 99% of them seem to be absolute morons. There is no sense of the passengers actually being customers, which is just totally wrong. Just buying a ticket for some journeys is so complicated, and you can see how the elderly or less sharp of us can get confused about it and end up on a train where their ticket isn't actually valid for, despite having paid £50 for it. And it's not like the staff will be understanding about it, they actually seem to enjoy handing out fines.

On my train in to work the other day there was a girl who was clearly ill, on a packed carriage, without any seats available. She literally looked like she was about to faint, and so quickly moved into the (empty) first class carriage and sat down. Literally 5 seconds later the ticket man (sorry, 'Revenue Protection Officer') appears and issues her with a penalty fare, despite other paying customers telling him that she was clearly ill and needed to sit down. "You're lucky I'm in a good mood", he said, "Or I'd make you get off the train at the next stop as well".

Until that attitude changes and the staff start to recognise passengers as paying customers, the service will always be shit. No other business could get away with treating their customers like that, so how do the railways?

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its your age mate, you would only have had to go again on the train :lolol:
:lolol:

The trains I use still tend to have a toilet even though I though Southern were going to close them all. Brilliant idea, that. Actually, the average train toilet is a microcosm of the whole train industry in general. Poorly designed, needlessly complicated (what is wrong with a normal LOCK?), and has you really wishing you'd gone elsewhere.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On my train in to work the other day there was a girl who was clearly ill, on a packed carriage, without any seats available. She literally looked like she was about to faint, and so quickly moved into the (empty) first class carriage and sat down.

Good of you all, not to give up your seats for her.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

The trains I use still tend to have a toilet even though I though Southern were going to close them all. Brilliant idea, that. Actually, the average train toilet is a microcosm of the whole train industry in general. Poorly designed, needlessly complicated (what is wrong with a normal LOCK?), and has you really wishing you'd gone elsewhere.

Southern replaced half the Coastway West trains with ones that don't have toilets. They don't seem to think anyone is going to need to a piss at some point between Brighton and Southampton.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Brighton - Portsmouth and Brighton - Seaford trains have no toilets on them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On my train in to work the other day there was a girl who was clearly ill, on a packed carriage, without any seats available. She literally looked like she was about to faint, and so quickly moved into the (empty) first class carriage and sat down. Literally 5 seconds later the ticket man (sorry, 'Revenue Protection Officer') appears and issue her with a penalty fare, despite other paying customers telling him that she was clearly ill and needed to sit down. "You're lucky I'm in a good mood", he said, "Or I'd make you get off the train at the next stop as well".
Impressive revenue protection there.

If he didn't do that, we'd all be standing up wedged like sardines on a train that hasn't moved for 5 minutes without anyone telling us what is happening, looking like we're about to faint - in the vain hope of a seat.

Oh.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Southern replaced half the Coastway West trains with ones that don't have toilets. They don't seem to think anyone is going to need to a piss at some point between Brighton and Southampton.

Brighton - Portsmouth and Brighton - Seaford trains have no toilets on them.
Tremendous customer service.

I can only hope the drivers and revenue protection officers have got their own private toilet on board. Otherwise they'll only strike.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here