Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Toumani Diabate RIP

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Only picked this up today, if anybody else interested in World Music. Master of the Kora, a traditional African Instrument, but doing all sorts of different music with it. I was lucky enough to see him and his “Symmetric Orchestra” at the Royal Festival Hall a few years ago - Upbeat dance music. He cooperated with Damon Albarn, produced beautiful music with Malian guitarist Ali Farka Toure.
and if anyone thinks people on the African sub-continent were savages before we started civilising them, look up Griot - he could trace his lineage back through 70 plus generations of story-telling, poetry and music tradition. How many hundreds of years is 70 generations.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/jul/21/toumani-diabate-obituary?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have never heard of him or his music but I’ll change this today.

RIP

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is there an obvious album to start listening to?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In the Heart of the Moon - with guitarist Ali Farka Toure for reflective and gentle.
Boulevard de L’Independance - Toumani Diabate’s Symmetric Orchestra for upbeat ……
…….. are two I know well and very much appreciate

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thank you both. I know of Ali Farka Toure. Listening to TMV, beautiful stuff.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I saw Ali Farka Toure in concert at Sussex University, about 35 years ago. Also saw S.E.Rogie, and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. That one was really special.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This thread has been quite a revelation to me. I have now listened to three albums, repeatedly, and am quite excited to drink my morning coffee and crack on with a fourth. What a legacy to leave behind.

RIP.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This thread has been quite a revelation to me. I have now listened to three albums, repeatedly, and am quite excited to drink my morning coffee and crack on with a fourth. What a legacy to leave behind.

RIP.
Reading that just made me feel really happy! (y) (y):rock:
just out of interest, which 3 albums? I found myself yesterday listening to something of his I’d not played before.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I saw Ali Farka Toure in concert at Sussex University, about 35 years ago. Also saw S.E.Rogie, and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. That one was really special.
One of my favourite albums of any kind is Talking Timbuktu - Ali Farka Toure and Ry Cooder.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Reading that just made me feel really happy! (y) (y):rock:
just out of interest, which 3 albums? I found myself yesterday listening to something of his I’d not played before.
In The Heart of the Moon, The Mande Variations and Boulevard de I'Indepedence.

His leagacy and spirit will certainly live on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got to know his music though Damon Albarn’s Mali Music
This side of Albarn had passed me by until now. More digging today!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Seeing as we are discussing music from Mali I will throw in Fatoumata Diawara, particularly her first album, Fatou. I saw her at the Roundhouse just before Covid broke and she was superb. There is a Damon A connection here as well as he joined her on stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here