Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Five Sports Books

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Currently enjoying 'A year with Verona' but it would, most probably, not make my shortlist.

The Miracle of Castel di Sangro would make my top five, but not entirely sure about the rest of them yet.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
'Penguins Stopped Play' is an absolute joy.

I could Google it, but would like your pearls. What is it about? Obviously worth a read.

Also have 'From Minor to Major' by Simon Hughes on the backburner (Durham's entrance to the top flight). Thoroughly enjoyable so far.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The Miracle of Castel di Sangro would make my top five, but not entirely sure about the rest of them yet.

definitely my number one - the most interesting, funny and compelling footy book that I have ever read by far. Also liked a couple of the books by Charlie Connelly ('Stamping Grounds - Lichiensteins world cup odyssey' and 'London Fields')

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
All Played Out, about the 1990 World Cup. Superb. A view from the fans, the press, the players and officials. Relive those memories, especially in view of Bobby's passing... assuming you're old enough.

Isn't the Damn United book pretty good?

Yes it is, and so is the Damned United. As I have mentioned on many occassions on this site when the subject of sports books is mentioned I think there is none finer (in my limited experience) than "My father and other working - class football heroes" about 50's/60's Scottish International John Imlach by his son Gary. In fact I haven't read many better biogs. full stop.

The 2 Gary Nelson books are worth a read and I understand that the Tony Cascarino bio "Full time" is as well, although my copy is as yet unread. "Build a Bonfire" has already been recommended, I think it is another book which stands on it's own merits and should be of interest to non Albion and indeed non footie fans as well.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Brilliant Orange - David Winner

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
"Rain Men" by Markus Berkmann :laugh:

About the trials and tribulations of "ordinary" club cricketers. I have never laughed as much. Well worth a read.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes it is, and so is the Damned United. As I have mentioned on many occassions on this site when the subject of sports books is mentioned I think there is none finer (in my limited experience) than "My father and other working - class football heroes" about 50's/60's Scottish International John Imlach by his son Gary. In fact I haven't read many better biogs. full stop.

Forgotten I had read that. Forgive me, as I tend to read a book every five days or so, so it had disappeared from my memory bank.

Totally agree. An honest and compelling tale of when football was at its finest. My only grudge was that it was too short.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
All Played Out, about the 1990 World Cup. Superb.

That's a great book.

My others would be:

Football Against the Enemy - Simon Kuper

Winning - Sir Clive Woodward

A Lifetime in a Race - Matthew Pinsent

The White Spider - Heinrich Harrer (the best book I've ever read. It's about the North Face of the Eiger and the early attempts to climb it so not quite a sport, but close enough)

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Feet in the clouds - Richard Askwith (at the same time about a history of fell running, a season of fell races and the authors quest to complete the Bob Graham round - 42 lakeland peaks over 74 miles and 28,500 feet of ascent in 24hrs!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here