Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Eleven World Cup Controversial Incidents

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
10 Controversies from Recent World Cups - Top 10 Lists | Listverse

But think of your own before looking it up.

The ones I think of the

Zidane headbutting incident
Schumacher GBH on the French forward
Gordon Banks and the theft allegations
The Beckham petty sending off
Maradonna "Hand of God"
Jimmy Greaves playing golf during the WC Final 66
The Russian linesman and England's third goal in the 66 Final
Germany 1 Austria 0
Chile v Italy
Pele being cynically kicked out of the 66 World Cup
Rattin and Argentina in the 66 WC

Top 7 World Cup Controversies Incidents | Top 7's | Fans' Own

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On "100 greatest World Cup moments" Greaves was on the touchline suited and booted as the England players were doing their lap of honour.

So unless his "round" was 18 holes at Mad Mick's Mini-Golf off Alperton High Street I can't see this being true either.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Was Zidanes contraversial ? Looked pretty obvious to me.

It was controversial as the ref didn't see it and he was sent off due to the fourth official seeing the incident on the TV replay. And there was more controvery about what was said

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
On "100 greatest World Cup moments" Greaves was on the touchline suited and booted as the England players were doing their lap of honour.

So unless his "round" was 18 holes at Mad Mick's Mini-Golf off Alperton High Street I can't see this being true either.

I think Perseus is thinking of Dennis Law who played golf when England were playing the cup - scarcely a controversial moment.

And I'd scarcely say the Beckham sending off was petty - if you kick out at an opponent, you're going to get a red card.

As for others

I'd say Italy's defeat to S Korea - after some dodgy decisions from a ref later suspended for corruption

Cruyff not playing in the 78 WC

And the obvious missing one, Escobar get shot after scoring an own goal - the day that football and reality parted company

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex

Did I not read somewhere that he had been subjected to some kind of family kidnap threat which is why he didn't go.

And I seem to recall, but might be wrong, that Holland still named him in their 22 and went with one less man just in case he changed his mind.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think Perseus is thinking of Dennis Law who played golf when England were playing the cup - scarcely a controversial moment.

And I'd scarcely say the Beckham sending off was petty - if you kick out at an opponent, you're going to get a red card.

As for others

I'd say Italy's defeat to S Korea - after some dodgy decisions from a ref later suspended for corruption

And the obvious missing one, Escobar get shot after scoring an own goal - the day that football and reality parted company

Scotland going to win the World Cup in Chile with Jimmy Johnstone on the wing ... alas

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To me, Walcott's inclusion in Sven's 2006 squad whilst 12 years of age is more controversial than Beckham's sending off (which was just stupid - end of).

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Gazza "crying" incident.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It was controversial as the ref didn't see it and he was sent off due to the fourth official seeing the incident on the TV replay. And there was more controvery about what was said

True, but whatever the rights and wrongs as to how the decision was reached, it was the right decision. I guess there was some controversy about the mechanics of it.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

ZZidane would say it was petty

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just on Jimmy Greaves, I see Burger King are using as a 'prize' the opportunity to watch the final with Jimmy Greaves. Why would anyone in their right minds want to watch the World Cup final with a grumpy old twat, in South Africa or anywhere else?

Especially if England were in it...he's not going to be in the best mood. 'So Jim, do you remember what the players will be feeling walking ou...sorry, of course you don't. Has anyone got Sir Geoff's number?'

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
10 Controversies from Recent World Cups - Top 10 Lists | Listverse

But think of your own before looking it up.

The ones I think of the

Zidane headbutting incident
Schumacher GBH on the French forward He was a defender, not a forward
Gordon Banks and the theft allegations Already corrected by someone else
The Beckham petty sending off
Maradonna "Hand of God"
Jimmy Greaves playing golf during the WC Final 66
The Russian linesman and England's third goal in the 66 Final
Germany 1 Austria 0
Chile v Italy
Pele being cynically kicked out of the 66 World Cup
Rattin and Argentina in the 66 WC
What about Rivaldo's fake facial injury against Turkey

Top 7 World Cup Controversies Incidents | Top 7's | Fans' Own

You need to do a bit more research!!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The whole 1934 WC won by perennial cheater Italy should be right up there.

There are three circumstances of facts that cast a huge shadow of doubt over the validity of Italy’s first World Cup win in 1934.

The first circumstance, and definitely the most severe, is Italy’s outright breaching of FIFA rules that should have led to Italy’s disqualification from the tournament already before the start. According to FIFA rules of the time, a player was only allowed to play for a second country if he had lived in that country for at least three years. Italy’s 1934 World Cup squad included four players from Argentina (Raimundo Orsi, Luis Monti, Atilio Demaria, Enrique Guaita) and one from Brasil (Anfilogino “Filo” Guarisi). Only Orsi had been playing in Italy for more than three years. None of the others players had played in Italy for anything close to three years. Thus the squad that represented Mussolini’s fascist Italy should have been suspended from participating in this World Cup tournament, regardless of being the host or not. This must rate as the single biggest scandal in the history of the World Cup. Fortunate for Italians, this is long gone and nobody really cares for this, but that doesn’t change that the validity of Italy’s first World Cup win is highly arguable.

The second circumstance concerns the quarterfinal match vs. Spain. In this game it became very clear that FIFA and thus the referees intended to please Benito Mussolini by doing everything to help the Italian team advance as far as possible.

In the fifth minute, the Spanish outside left Bosch was penetrating the Italian penalty area when Monzeglio brutally fouled him. Bosch had to be treated for 20 minutes outside of the pitch before he could come back, but all he could do from then on was hobble, thus Spain had to play with 10 men for 85 minutes of the match. Swiss referee Mercet didn’t interrupt the game after Monzeglio’s foul, which should have resulted in a penalty for Spain.

In the 11th minute, after a corner kick for Italy, Meazza clearly leaned upon Spain’s keeper Nogués with his hands before he headed the ball into the goal. It should have been disallowed, but ref Mercet had no such intentions. The goal was given. Even the Italian players were surprised at this decision. And even the German football papers were perplexed by this, despite generally being well meaning to the Italians, as both countries were led by right-wing dictatorships. German magazine “Fussball” wrote the day after the match: “Mercet had lost his courage. Just as he overlooked Monzeglio’s foul against Bosch previously, when he stood directly next to it, he remained dependent on the cheap propaganda of the Italian crowd.” Obviously, the decimated Spaniards were shocked by this decision as well.

In the 37th minute, ref Mercet again leaves no doubt that he is not a neutral in this match. Monzeglio unfairly attacks Campanal in the Italian penalty area. Right after the foul, both players stood face to face furiously and then Monzeglio grabbed Campanal’s chin, pushing his head back, directly in front of Mercet. A clear assault by the Italian defender! But not for Mercet, who let the game continue without taking any action… Seconds later, the next crass wrong decision by Mercet upsets all neutrals in the stadium. Two Italian defenders heckle an Spanish player in the penalty area. But amazingly, Mercet gives freekick to Italy! On the sidelines, the injured Spanish goalkeeper legend Zamora can’t believe what he sees while the neutral press writes the word “scandal” into their pocket books.

In the 62th minute, referee Mercet “crowns” his performance: Campanal fires a rebound past Combi into the Italian goal, but Mercet disallows the goal because of “off-sides”. Even the Swiss press criticizes their referee harshly after the match. The “Basler Nationalzeitung” writes: “Mercet favored the Italians in a most shameful manner.”

But this is still not all. Shortly before time, the ball passes Combi again and lands inside the Italian goal – what does Mercet say? Disallowed, of course! Why? Because a Spanish player had been fouled seconds before the scoring. Obviously, Mercet had “forgotten” that in such cases, the game continues if the fouled player’s team still possesses the ball, especially if it manages to score a goal! Germany’s “Fussball” magazine later wrote: “Double injustice! This is an extreme example of how a referee can actually reward a team that has fouled one of its opponents by not giving advantage to the fouled team. Because a Spaniard was fouled, his teammate was not allowed to score a goal!”

After this match, it had become painfully clear to all witnessing neutrals that FIFA had chosen Italy – and no other team – to win this tournament.

Now on to circumstance number three, the final itself, which saw hosts Italy paired with Czechoslovakia.

15 minute: Guaita brutally fouls Krcil, who is severely injured at his ankle. Although Krcil remained on the pitch he wasn’t up to full service anymore. The Czechs had to continue playing with 10 men, neutrals were reminded of what had happened to the Spaniards when Bosch had shared the same fate.

Shortly before halftime, the Italian brutalo football again raised its ugly head: Monti jumps with both legs onto Svoboda, who lies on the ground motionless. Monti’s dirty deed could only mean one thing in the eyes of all present neutral observers: send-off! But referee Eklind only gave freekick to Czechoslovakia. “Lucky” Italians once more…

In the 55th minute, outside left Puc breaks the Italian defense line and gets fouled by Monzeglio’s long leg 14 meter in front of the goal. Obvious penalty! But not so for Ivan Eklind. While Puc was wallowing on the pitch in a very sorry state, Eklind decided that the match continued. Disbelieving amazement among the spectators and outrage and disgust in the Czech camp.

Shortly after this incident, Meazza blatantly punches the already stricken Krcil in the liver in front of referee Eklind – yet again Eklind does not react. Apparently, the Italians seem to know that they can do what they want without the referee reacting …

Seven minutes later, Puc comes back to the pitch after long treatment, grabbing the ball immediately, tanking thru the Italian defence until Luigi Allemandi ruthlessly separates him from the ball. Again a breach of the rules which could have resulted in a send-off. But Eklind only gives a freekick to Czechoslovakia.

Despite the scandalous behaviour of the Italian players and Eklind’s equally scandalous inability to implement rules, Puc manages to score the lead in the 76th minute. A goal that even referee Eklind couldn’t prevent. Horror on the faces of the Italian spectators. Now the less than convincing Squadra Azzurri only had 15 minutes left to equalize. Was a national tragedy looming?

Italy now attacked ferociously, but the Czech defence around Planicka and Zenisek stood solidly. But 9 minutes from time, Orsi scored the equalizer. If you’re Italian, this is probably going to bore you by now, but this Italian goal should have been disallowed as Meazza had knocked over his opponent before Orsi scored. This should have resulted in a freekick to Czecheslovakia, not a goal to Italy.

In extra-time, Schiavio scored the winner for Italy.

After the match, it was rumoured that Eklind had talked to Mussolini prior to the match for a considerable amount of time. Although not many dared to openly say it, it was clear to neutrals that influence from outside of the world of football was mainly responsible for Italy’s triumph in this World Cup.

But even regardless of these political exertions of influence, Italy shouldn’t have been allowed to participate in this tournament in the first place, as they clearly and blatantly breached FIFA’s rules on so-called “Oriundi” players, as was stated at the very beginning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here