Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom's message to Gus (and Norwich)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
"Gus. We want you to build us a team that can rise up the leagues and we will back you." Gus can only be thrilled and impressed that the first time the Chairman has to back him with a big financial decision, he does so emphatically by telling Norwich to get lost, and in doing so, telling Gus that we won't be selling anyone and that we will buy the players we need.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I know there is another thread SirElliotBennett. The point I am making is that apart from telling Norwich to get lost, TB has sent a big message to Gus. And hopefully that is the sort of support that makes a manager think he might want to stay around and see how much he can achieve.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
No skint, grow up - I was emphasising a different point. I was looking for some views on how Gus might view this in relation to Tony's backing of him - and particularly given how often we hear that Gus is being headhunted for other jobs, wondering what impact this kind of uneqivocal support would have on Gus. In the past he has been "unhappy" with the fans for booing and was pretty tetchy at times during the bad spell. This seems to be a massive vote of confidence in him and I suspect it might reassure Gus a lot - and maybe calm some of the fans nerves about Gus going. What do you think Skint? Feel free to post your reply on the other thread "Bloom tells Norwich to do one" which seems to really be a discussion about EB staying.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
IMO, I think the players and management owe TB a huge vote of loyalty, sadly this is pro football and I doubt it'll happen.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's one thing us not wanting to sell, but if the player wants to go, it's another matter entirely (not saying he does, mind, I have no idea).

This is the crunch. If Elliott's head is turned by a massive wage hike and the potential (relatively quickly) of playing Premiership football then we have no chance of competing with Norwich, although we do have the upper hand of making Norwich pay a decent price for his services.

It was a shrewd move of the club to offer him an extended contract when they did as they must have seen potential suitors circling.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was emphasising a different point. I was looking for some views on how Gus might view this in relation to Tony's backing of him - and particularly given how often we hear that Gus is being headhunted for other jobs, wondering what impact this kind of uneqivocal support would have on Gus. In the past he has been "unhappy" with the fans for booing and was pretty tetchy at times during the bad spell. This seems to be a massive vote of confidence in him and I suspect it might reassure Gus a lot - and maybe calm some of the fans nerves about Gus going. What do you think Skint? Feel free to post your reply on the other thread "Bloom tells Norwich to do one" which seems to really be a discussion about EB staying.

I agree this needs a thread of it's own. There's plenty about Bennett on the other thread. I think both Gus and Tony appreciate each other. Gus said last night that he tried for quite a few jobs before Brighton employed him. He knows the chairman will back him and the chairman knows he's got a good manager.
Long may it continue.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is the crunch. If Elliott's head is turned by a massive wage hike and the potential (relatively quickly) of playing Premiership football then we have no chance of competing with Norwich, although we do have the upper hand of making Norwich pay a decent price for his services.

It was a shrewd move of the club to offer him an extended contract when they did as they must have seen potential suitors circling.

EB should be sacking his agent for being niave then! :wink:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Bennett`s agent makes his money by increasing the salary of those he represents, at least by signing him up for a period of time his signing on fee will be greater.
These days chairmen and managers rarely have the last word on transfers.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
"Gus. We want you to build us a team that can rise up the leagues and we will back you." Gus can only be thrilled and impressed that the first time the Chairman has to back him with a big financial decision, he does so emphatically by telling Norwich to get lost, and in doing so, telling Gus that we won't be selling anyone and that we will buy the players we need.

I think the worry is now ,that Bennett will ask for a transfer ...not many players are around long after that.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
No skint, grow up - I was emphasising a different point. I was looking for some views on how Gus might view this in relation to Tony's backing of him - and particularly given how often we hear that Gus is being headhunted for other jobs, wondering what impact this kind of uneqivocal support would have on Gus. In the past he has been "unhappy" with the fans for booing and was pretty tetchy at times during the bad spell. This seems to be a massive vote of confidence in him and I suspect it might reassure Gus a lot - and maybe calm some of the fans nerves about Gus going. What do you think Skint? Feel free to post your reply on the other thread "Bloom tells Norwich to do one" which seems to really be a discussion about EB staying.

Bad news I'm afraid but West Ham are knocking on our door for Gus...David Gold lives in Hurstpierpoint, hopefully he rejects any advavances

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I think the worry is now ,that Bennett will ask for a transfer ...not many players are around long after that.

I think that people aren't giving Elliott Bennett enough credit for knowing that he has one hell of a future at, and thanks to, this football club. He has been the face of the Amex ticket sales-he isn't stupid and knows that he is held in high esteem by everybody at The Albion from the chairman down to us fans. He'll just become another player at Norwich and hopefully he'll know this. I hope I'm not wrong but he seems like a decent lad with some loyalty who can see that we are going places. If we had to face another year at Withdean then he'd have been long gone by now. We are no longer an 'ass end' of football football club. We have the best manager outside of the Premier League (yes, I firmly believe that) who has turned EB (a Wolves reserve) into a player other clubs want. He isn't daft-he knows that Gus can turn him into something much better than we're seeing at the moment and with that will come the big money not too far into the future.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
I'm with Bwian. Gus understands football and Tony understands what a bloody fantastic dream he's made come true.
It seems to me that the club uses similar training and motivation methods used by the successful clubs.
Gus is here for quite a few more years. No worries.
But what would I know - a bloody Kiwi. Useless lump. I watched Chris in a few earlier NZ games. (aged 15-16 )
We could see he had something special. Gus saw it too.
Why is having everything you could ever want, never enough ?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If it comes down to lifestyle hopefully EB will choose cosmopolitan and 'close to London' Brighton rather than the country backwater that is East Angular.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here