Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tony bloom reveals all wise etc

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
... and the foreign player is none other than Thierry Racon - that's a less than astounding revelation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Russell Slade's doing a good job. Forget all talk about Dennis Wise coming here.

He's still learning how to be a chairman and thinks that activity in transfer window can be improved but Mark Wright was a good bit of business, considering that he couldn't settle.

He leaves the stadium work to Martin Perry but is about to sign the catering contract soon

There was nothing really radical at all - I reckon NSC could have predicted most of the questions and pretty much all the answers.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
so who was the overseas player?

edit:oh sorry .....just saw that it was Racon - had glanced at it but assumed it was someone else cos he doesn't really count having been playing over here for 3 years or more

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I thought Naylor asking about Wise was stupid.

I wouldn't expect Bloom to say 'yeah, Andy, Dennis was being lined up but unfortunately Russell has got the team winning again, so we don't require Dennis services at the moment' :lol:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
3:30pm Wednesday 16th September 2009

Comments (0) Have your say »

By Andy Naylor »

Tony Bloom has been thrown in at the deep end as Albion chairman.

He has had to deal with a hectic transfer window, more managerial speculation and plans for Falmer gathering pace.

Bloom spoke exclusively to Albion reporter Andy Naylor about his first four months in charge.

Were you worried by the team's slow start to the season, before the recent good run of results?

I understand you can get a few bad results, just like you can get a few good results.

There is not a lot to choose between a lot of teams. Although we weren’t great in a couple of the home games, against Walsall and Stockport, we certainly had the best of them. There were a few mistakes, particularly defensively in the Stockport game.

It’s a 46-game season and I wasn’t worried at all. I am very happy that we have come up with a couple of wins recently because it no doubt affects the players a little bit when they are near the bottom of the table and feel they should be doing better.

You have just experienced your first transfer window. How did you find it and are you pleased with the business done by the club?

Given the clearout we had at the end of last season, about 17 players, we needed to bring in a lot. We’ve brought in 11, 12 if you include Mark Wright (sold to Bristol Rovers).

That is a helluva lot of business. I don’t remember this club ever doing anything like that.

Between myself and Russell (manager Russell Slade) and Ken (managing director Ken Brown) we had an exceptionally busy summer. You can imagine how many other players we also thought about or came close to signing.

It was full-on, an interesting new experience for me, and I certainly learnt from it. Between the three of us I think we will improve the way we do things in future transfer windows and learn other ways of working together on that.

Overall I thought it went well and as a group I’m happy with the new players. Obviously, it is still very early days.

A lot of them have come in from far places, they have got families and have got to get settled. These things are not that easy and, as Russell said at the start of the season, it will take time.

I think that is happening. We are in an okay position, given that, and I think we will push on.

You mention Mark Wright. That was, on the face of it, a good bit of business?

It helps to make a small profit but that wasn’t at all the reason. There were a few factors. He wasn’t quite settling, he got a bit unlucky trying to find a place to live and it was quite a big move for him, coming down from the Midlands.

Bristol Rovers were very interested in him and that was closer to home. We had someone else who could come into the same position (Arron Davies) who has actually done exceptionally well for two games, so I think it has worked well for us and hopefully it will work well for Mark.

Dennis Wise has been mentioned in the papers twice about being lined up to become Brighton manager, both before Russell was appointed and soon after the start of the season. Can you put the record straight?

I didn’t even see it but Russell was the manager at the end of last season and he got a new contract in the summer so it’s not even worth talking about.

Forget Dennis Wise, Russell is the manager and that’s it, full stop, there is no question, that’s the case.

What about Falmer. How involved are you in the stadium project?

Martin (chief executive Martin Perry) involves myself and the other directors in the major decisions. We will, at some point soon, be putting a catering document together and we’ve had a recent meeting on some of the big design elements.

In terms of the actual build of the stadium, that is very much the domain of Martin and Derek (director Derek Chapman). Everything is going fine and we have got a very good relationship with the Buckingham Group (stadium contractors). From what I have seen they are doing a really good job.

Why is your horseracing ownership partnership with Harry Findlay ending?

The horses have been fun over the last year, working with Harry. Now we have both decided to go our own ways.

Harry wants to remain very much involved with lots of horses and be involved day to day. I don’t have time for that so I am looking to take a step back and have maybe ten to 15 higher quality horses and go along to a few of the big meetings when I can.

The football club, not surprisingly, takes up quite a bit of my time now and I am also busy running my other businesses so it just makes sense.

How does the reality of being Albion chairman compare with what you imagined it would be like?

It has been pretty similar to what I thought. It’s really enjoyable. There is a lot to do and it is only going to get busier as we move towards Falmer.

The goals haven’t changed. We are very particular about our short-term goal, which is to be in the Championship in two years.

Obviously, there are no guarantees. Lots of other clubs are trying to do a similar thing and particularly this season it’s tough with the relegated teams, as well as Leeds and Huddersfield, who are very strong.

Norwich and Southampton are struggling a little bit but Charlton, by all accounts, are playing exceptionally well, particularly Racon (Therry), who we would have liked in the summer.

Charlton weren’t interested in letting him go unfortunately. He was very high on our list but he wasn’t available.

We will push on towards that short-term goal and try to do it this season. I’ve heard people say it would be nice to do it next season, ahead of moving into Falmer, but there are absolutely no guarantees.

We have got two bites at it and we will do what we can to go up this season. All the players and Russell know that's what the goal is and everyone is working very hard to that end.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The goals haven’t changed. We are very particular about our short-term goal, which is to be in the Championship in two years.

I can see this past transfer window being easily beaten next close season if we don't complete the 'mission' this season.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I can see this past transfer window being easily beaten next close season if we don't complete the 'mission' this season.

My thoughts exactly, if we come close i think one or two 'big money' players will come in in key posititions, if we dont, it will msot likely be a reenactment of this one i think

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

We've still got January's window yet-I'm sure there'll be some reinforcements arriving then to take us through the second half of the season with promotion being the objective. We shouldn't need too many additions at the end of the season if we fail to go up.

You mention Mark Wright. That was, on the face of it, a good bit of business?

It helps to make a small profit but that wasn’t at all the reason. There were a few factors. He wasn’t quite settling, he got a bit unlucky trying to find a place to live and it was quite a big move for him, coming down from the Midlands.

Bristol Rovers were very interested in him and that was closer to home. We had someone else who could come into the same position (Arron Davies) who has actually done exceptionally well for two games, so I think it has worked well for us and hopefully it will work well for Mark.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

i) He was only moving 100 miles!
ii) Is Milton Keynes actually in the Midlands? Isn't it in the South East?
iii) According to google maps, Bristol is approximately 6 miles closer to MK than Brighton, but takes an extra 24 minutes to get to. Hardly 'closer to home' is it!?

Having said that, assuming we get Davies permanently I'm very happy with that swap.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
This doesn't make any sense to me.

i) He was only moving 100 miles!
ii) Is Milton Keynes actually in the Midlands? Isn't it in the South East?
iii) According to google maps, Bristol is approximately 6 miles closer to MK than Brighton, but takes an extra 24 minutes to get to. Hardly 'closer to home' is it!?

Having said that, assuming we get Davies permanently I'm very happy with that swap.

MW lives outside Wolverhampton, apparently he can commute to Bristol from there.

And for the brainless little lost humourless souls on here who as soon as we lose come up with the usual bollox about the club lacking ambition - read his lips "The goals haven’t changed. We are very particular about our short-term goal, which is to be in the Championship in two years."

Sadly for some of you deranged people as he himself says, there is no guarantee this will happen. I think it's also fair to say that although the nice man is paying for our shiny new stadia, he hasn't got sufficiently deep pockets to either pay for Ronaldo or pay for his wages. The same goes for other 'better quality' players who are currently outside our budget.

Rest assured he and Russ are doing their best to achieve said 'goal' but Rome wasn't built in a day :falmer:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I thought his reply regarding the wise thing laughable, obviously he couldn't say 'yes we had dennis waiting in the wings but now russell has got the team winning we have forgotten that' but honestly it isnt far off, the silence is deafening

MW lives outside Wolverhampton, apparently he can commute to Bristol from there.

That's a bit disapointing; he obviously decided that he didn't want to move house, which means he can't have been all that sure of the move to start with. Why even consider signing for the club if you don't want to move?

Having said that, we apparently made a small profit so it's all good I suppose.

I thought his reply regarding the wise thing laughable, obviously he couldn't say 'yes we had dennis waiting in the wings but now russell has got the team winning we have forgotten that' but honestly it isnt far off, the silence is deafening

What do you mean 'silence'? He's come out now and denied it. Honestly he can't win. If he came out two weeks ago and said 'Russ has our full support' people would have interpreted it as the dreaded vote of confidence, and now your chiding him for not saying anything? Regardless of how close Wise was or was not to becoming our manager it's a no win situation for the chairman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here