Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom in The Sun

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
In amungst The Sun's 7 page feature on tonights Champions League Final is a half page column on Tony Bloom

Most of the words you would have read before, but its funny to see us crop up in the nationals on the day of thebiggest club competition in The World, well Europe :clap2::clap2:

Future's Bright for 'The Lizard' | The Sun |Sport|Football

Future's Bright for 'The Lizard'
IAN McGARRY - The Inside View

Published: Today

HIS poker rivals have nicknamed him 'The Lizard' because they say he has alligator blood.

It's a term used in pro circles for a player who is fearless in battle and ruthless with opponents.

So why is Tony Bloom gambling £80million on making Brighton & Hove Albion great again?

That's Brighton - the team which escaped relegation to League Two this term by the skin of their teeth.

A club whose homeless status has made them the nomads of the English game for the last 12 years, while fighting for planning permission to build a new stadium.

According to 39-year-old businessman Bloom, though, it's simple. This wasn't a decision. It was a calling.

He said: "Most business decisions I have made to date have been relatively unemotional.

"But this one is not done for business reasons. You don't put money into a football club or a football stadium if your primary goal is to make money.

"I've supported Brighton for over 30 years. My dad and my grandad supported Brighton before me.

"Without a new stadium there is every chance that Brighton might not exist in the near future and I could not allow that to happen.

"Putting the money up to secure a new stadium at Falmer guarantees the club's future.

"That is my legacy so that my children and grandchildren and those of all Brighton supporters will always have a football club in our city."

Bloom's assessment of what might happen is accurate and stark. A glance across the Football League is a bank manager's nightmare.

When a club like Southampton goes into administration, is anyone below the Premier League immune?

Thanks to Bloom, Brighton are - and nine days ago he converted existing loans into shares to become the majority shareholder.

He is putting up £80m as an interest-free loan to make the new stadium a reality.

For the club, battling against financial hardship and a bleak future at the Withdean, this is their Roman Abramovich moment.

Advertisement

Yet Bloom said: "People like Mr Abramovich choose which club they want to buy and then support it - and you have to respect that.

"It's a lot simpler in my case. I wouldn't dream of putting my money into any other club except my football club... Brighton.

"Every real football fan has their passion for the game fashioned by their support for a team. Mine is Brighton. Always has been and always will be."

For Bloom, leading the Seagulls is picking up a torch his grand-father carried in the Seventies.

Harry Bloom was vice- chairman from 1971 to 1980 when the club appointed Brian Clough and Peter Taylor to manage the club.

Clough's stay was short but Taylor stuck around to help build a team. Alan Mullery then took up the reins to lead Brighton to promotion to the top flight in 1979.

The 1983 FA Cup final defeat to Manchester United was to be the peak of their most successful period - but the club's fortunes have ebbed like the tide ever since.

As well as a fine poker player, Bloom has been very successful betting on sport over many years but this is, without doubt, the biggest punt he has ever taken.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Top Man. I still find it a bit unbelievable that we had someone of that wealth on the board.

Those that posted that no outsiders would ever invest in something as dodgy as the Albion have been proved right. I remain stunned at what has happened.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Well, the Albion are not going to win the Champions League with a piddly little ground like Falmer. Funny it is on the same page.

But we will go for a Burton if we stay at Withdean!

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Well, the Albion are not going to win the Champions League with a fiddly little ground like Falmer. Funny it is on the same page.

Of course not, haven't you seen the master plan? The "Penge Blueprint" ? This is where Falmer is built as a temporary stadium whilst we build a 60,000 stadium at Penge to allow us to challlenge for the Premiership title in 2015.

Come on Perseus, keep up.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Top Man. I still find it a bit unbelievable that we had someone of that wealth on the board.
Indeed. I'm still pinching myself. I like the bit in the article when it says 'make Brighton and Hove Albion great again.' What do they mean AGAIN? We did four years in the top division culminating in an FA Cup final defeat. I don't think even Newcastle fans would say that made a club 'great'.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Indeed. I'm still pinching myself. I like the bit in the article when it says 'make Brighton and Hove Albion great again.' What do they mean AGAIN? We did four years in the top division culminating in an FA Cup final defeat. I don't think even Newcastle fans would say that made a club 'great'.

Newcastle and Chelsea were in Division Two at the time. And it wasn't for Peter Ward we might have been giant-killed by the lower division Newcastle team.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, the Albion are not going to win the Champions League with a piddly little ground like Falmer.

Villareal reached the semi-final of the Champions League in 2006, losing to Arsenal 1-0 (and missing a last minute penalty in the 2nd leg to level the tie).

Their ground holds 25,000, so not a huge difference.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Villareal reached the semi-final of the Champions League in 2006, losing to Arsenal 1-0 (and missing a last minute penalty in the 2nd leg to level the tie).

Their ground holds 25,000, so not a huge difference.

A possible future?

Villarreal CF - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know what the fans will say, just the same as after we played Rochdale in Division 3 in 1971 "we need a bigger ground".

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Lille have regularly reached the Champions League group stages and beaten some of Europe's finest sides (Man Utd, AC Milan) while playing in a rented athletics stadium with no roof (capacity 18,000).

You've got to dream!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
At last, we have a man with a bit of financial clout AND a Brighton fan at the helm... the future is bright...

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Poker

At last, we have a man with a bit of financial clout AND a Brighton fan at the helm... the future is bright...

Maybe, he is bluffing and hasn't got the clout/werewithal and just got good press connections ? An Alligator just snaps its claws is armour-plated. It seems more like a political appointment to me ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Having read the article I can't help but chuckle at the so-called "realists" out there who used to take the piss out of the optimists by affirming the chances of a rich investor coming in to build Falmer and take the club foreward were zero.

We don't know what the future holds but I feel a damn sight better about it than I did a month ago.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
isnt it the same interview we've seen before?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Of course not, haven't you seen the master plan? The "Penge Blueprint" ? This is where Falmer is built as a temporary stadium whilst we build a 60,000 stadium at Penge to allow us to challlenge for the Premiership title in 2015.

Come on Perseus, keep up.

Do you mean Pende? Penge is far too close to Selhurst.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Agree with all you say,Pavllionaire, we are being noted in the national press and the coming season could be the best for years.I rather we go for it and bust,than the slow death we were heading for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here