Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonights FA Cup attendance

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
nicked of the bbc

2206:Time for a quick look at tonight's attendances so we can all ponder whether the FA Cup has lost its magic. Previous home game attendances in brackets. Birmingham: 9,399 (28,907), Bristol City: 7,289 (16,035), Coventry: 7,097 (15,031), Derby: 7,183 (28,106) QPR: 5,780 (13,534).

is the fa cup dying ?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yep, for a variety of reasons:
Semi finals at Wembley takes away much of the magic
Most premiership teams play weakened sides in the early rounds
Extra games to watch costs money when fans are already paying over the odds.
League games more "popular" and exciting

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
• First month after Christmas
• Iffy weather
Recession.

It's clearly not as popular as it has been though. That doesn't mean it's dying, especially when the League Cup still exists.
Personally I love cup football, even if it's an unexciting tie there's always something riding on it.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
A mate of mine tells me all of the above clubs have gold, blue and white memberships which you have to join via phone apparently; then seperately apply for a fan number; then book online; and then link a/c to anyone you might want to sit with. And vica versa. Before finding out your password doesn't work.....

This impacts on the attendances by all accounts because people come to the end of their natural lives before getting to the last hoop in this process.

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Recession.

It's clearly not as popular as it has been though. That doesn't mean it's dying, especially when the League Cup still exists.
Personally I love cup football, even if it's an unexciting tie there's always something riding on it.

like tonight Portsmouth one down and Coventry get a 90th min own goal then Portsmouth get winner on 120+1

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
A mate of mine tells me all of the above clubs have gold, blue and white memberships which you have to join via phone apparently; then seperately apply for a fan number; then book online; and then link a/c to anyone you might want to sit with. And vica versa. Before finding out your password doesn't work.....

This impacts on the attendances by all accounts because people come to the end of their natural lives before getting to the last hoop in this process.

:lolol:

andycapp

Jan 4, 2010
and birmingham have reverted back to their proper attendances,, lololololololololololololol:clap2:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
But then would we really have wanted Pompey in the Champions League?!

Ok, from next season only then. Unless Palace win it - that should always null and void entry to other competitions.

Night all!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
But then would we really have wanted Pompey in the Champions League?!

Judging by the majority of comments on here nobody is particularly interested in the Champions League anymore...so would it really matter if it was Pompey, Preston or Peterborough in it...probably not!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Very true.

The FA should also award a Champions League place to the FA Cup winners, that would wake up the Premiership managers.

... or preferably introduce a play off element into European qualification which would revitalise the league like it has done for every other.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont see that semi's at Wembley really make a difference. people arent going to not watch because a match in May is not at Hillsborough or Anfield. snow and recession are the biggest imfluences, would like to see a comparison to previous years though for a fuller picture - maybe mid week 3rd round replays have always had poor attendance?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Nah, it's very easy to buy tickets online at Derby - Att may have more to do with generall sh*teness for us at the moment....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here