Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tomorrows Ref is from the West Midlands - Surely thats not right

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
One of the comments suggests he and his family are Villa fans. If true, he might be generous to us.

Then again he could give them most of the decisions to avoid any suggestion of bias.

In short, no idea.

Mar 10, 2006
How can that be right that he can officiate in a game that features a club on his doorstep. On the link provided it even says 'unsurprisingly he's never officiated a game featuring Birmingham'

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also only his second Championship game of the season.

Anyway. Who cares, he obviously isn't a fan of Birmingham (or declared it) and will be assessed, and we have had Sussex people on the line for us before.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
It's The Championship folks, not a Sunday League game - these people are professionals who want to aspire to the EPL. Being biased towards (or against if he's a Villa fan) people with the same dodgy accent will not get him far up the ladder on his chosen path.....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But even so it's ridiculous to have someone from Birmingham refereeing a Birmingham game. There are enough referees that this should never happen surely.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It's The Championship folks, not a Sunday League game - these people are professionals who want to aspire to the EPL. Being biased towards (or against if he's a Villa fan) people with the same dodgy accent will not get him far up the ladder on his chosen path.....

Not 'alf as dodgy as the way you must sound now (if it's actually true that you reside in Perth). People who live in glass houses...

:wave:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
But even so it's ridiculous to have someone from Birmingham refereeing a Birmingham game. There are enough referees that this should never happen surely.

Agree. This appointment was totally unnessary. I don't doubt for one moment, Oliver Langford will referee to the best of his abilty. Neverless, his home location plus his confession of being a Villa Fan will raise questions, even if generally unfounded. It can put extra pressure on a Referee to maybe give 50/50's the opposite way of his alleged bias when there are questions over him.

Remember the away game at Reading around 2003 when the original Ref was replaced at half time by the forth official - who came from Peacehaven. The Home Fans kicked up a stink afterwards. Needless to say, we beat Reading that night. However, the view of many that night was, the replacement Referee was favouring Reading more in the decisions. The theory being, he didn't want to be accused of bias towards his hometown team.

Despite many being incompetent, Referee's are (to my knowledge) not outright crooked. Referee's in Europe (Italy in particular) & latin America have been nobbled in the past. Fortunately that hasn't been an issue in the English game. All Referee's aspire to officiate at the highest level. They know they are always being assessed, so they will always perform their function to the best of their ability, even if more often than not, they make a mess of things.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Apparently to save money he is coming down on the coach with the Birmingham players today. Let's hope he does well in the card school.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
So long as he doesn't turn out like Prosser a Yorkshire man in the RAF who refereed us against his local side (Sheff Utd? ) to disastrous affect at Withdean.

Prosser wasn't a Yorkshireman, he happened to live in West Yorkshire for his RAF job, Sheffield United are from South Yorkshire, hardly his local side.

Prosser was shit in tha game, nothing to do with him favouring his local side, just a toatally shite performance from a ref.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith

Agree. Newcastle fans were querying the choice of ref for their league cup game at Man U this week because he lived five miles from Old Trafford. In the event he had a quiet and competent game and the fuss was forgotten as quickly as it had started.

As with the Useless Prosser, place of residence and allegiance are two different things. I live a mile from Easter Road but could referee a Hibs game without fear of bias (if I actually was a ref, which I'm not), but couldn't in all good conscience referee an Albion game and expect to be completely even-handed - or, more accurately, be perceived as even-handed. If this ref was a lifelong Blue, it would be all over the internet, with people who used to sit next to him at St Andrews queuing up to talk about it. And he'd surely have been required to declare anything like that by the league. If, on the other hand, he just happens to live in that area, and/or takes a mild interest in the fortunes of one Birmingham club or another, he's not going to compromise his career to give one team or another a leg up.

(I reserve the right to come back and edit this post on Saturday evening when he's given Brum a dodgy pen and sent off three Albion players for no reason...)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Prosser wasn't a Yorkshireman, he happened to live in West Yorkshire for his RAF job, Sheffield United are from South Yorkshire, hardly his local side.

Prosser was shit in tha game, nothing to do with him favouring his local side, just a toatally shite performance from a ref.

I must have got it wrong because I thought that he came from Sheffield originally and was stationed down the west country in the RAF and was listed as coming from there.

I notice that the refs town of residence is not shown now, due to them receiving abuse, I think it was said.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The thought of a repeat of the Burnley home match last season might be at the back of my mind. Still can't forget that game completely ruined.

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here