Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tom McGill

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
On the bench for Canada tonight in the Gold Cup in the US.
Their number one, 35-year-old Milan Borjan, will miss the rest of the tournament due to injury.

Dayne St. Clair came in for just his third cap tonight.

McGill could be getting a bit closer to a first senior appearance.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He must be crying out for game time.

Surely a loan out this season.
Don't quite buy this. He's clearly comfortable - not all players are but he is - being the back up keeper , with the contract and wages that that brings at a PL club. I expect him to be No.3 again this season. (although he was effectively No.2 for a while at the back end of last year when Sanchez had his sulk. )

PS: Rushworth far more likely to continue his development as #1 at an EFL club - perhaps Championship - for example rather than be back to up to Verbruggen and Steele

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Don't quite buy this. He's clearly comfortable - not all players are but he is - being the back up keeper , with the contract and wages that that brings at a PL club. I expect him to be No.3 again this season. (although he was effectively No.2 for a while at the back end of last year when Sanchez had his sulk. )

PS: Rushworth far more likely to continue his development as #1 at an EFL club - perhaps Championship - for example rather than be back to up to Verbruggen and Steele
It was stated by Naylor a year or 2 back that he wanted/intended to leave to get regular games. Now, he was persuaded to stay but has that desire for games really just gone ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Having said that, if it were me, £150K-£250K per year to train with the albion players, a chance of a future big payrise to become backup keeper, and perhaps an eventual role on the coaching staff would be a dream job so who knows?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Different paths suit different players. He’s always seemed the high floor, low ceiling and great supportive team-mate/trainer type. Maybe be wrong as few years back for my limited experience / conversations with those who’d know more.

More a Jason Steele / Ankergren personality and prospect type than a Sanchez?

Being a career back-up has suited a few International ‘Keepers but I’d think he’d need game time to break in, before perhaps keeping his Canada place whilst backing-up at club level.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
MK Dons are currently in league 2, older but way behind his peers in terms of experience I assume the club are trying to help him out with this loan to get some good experience before moving him on at the end of the season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Do we have an U21 good enough to be emergency keeper, or does this suggest that Rushworth is staying to be back-up with Steele as 3rd choice?
Hugo Fisher has gone to Japan with the squad. But he's only 19. Presumably going to be u21 keeper this season ?
Unlikely Rushworth or Steele would want to be our third keeper. the former (no good for their development or ££ value), the latter (he could easily be the #1 keeper for someone in the Championship perhaps and play every week or be lucratively paid as a #2 in the Prem ? )

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
MK Dons are currently in league 2, older but way behind his peers in terms of experience I assume the club are trying to help him out with this loan to get some good experience before moving him on at the end of the season.

AFAIK he's out of contract at the end of 24/25.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Do we have an U21 good enough to be emergency keeper, or does this suggest that Rushworth is staying to be back-up with Steele as 3rd choice?

The likely hood is we will stick a recall clause in Rushworths loan (if he goes out on loan).

Goalkeepers can be recalled outside of the transfer windows under exceptional circumstances rules.

Last season Bournemouth recalled Mark Travers from Stoke when Neto got injured, they still had Romanian international Andrei Radu and Darren Randolph available so it’s not like they only had kids to choose from.

So we should have no problems recalling Rushworth if an injury occurred to Bart or Jason Steele.

AFAIK he's out of contract at the end of 24/25.

We’ve got the option of another year on his contract that he signed in 2023.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here