Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays substitutions

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was the introduction of The V-Unit and Buckley Gus' most attacking changes, ever, in a game we weren't already losing?

It was obviously bloody good to see, he must have meant what he said, 'we now have to lose so that we can win'.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Probably. Seesm like Gus has got the simple maths that a winning games is important, as opposed to not losing them (Hull and Albion both a point better off with 1-0 either way as opposed to 2 x 0-0 like last season); b) that to do that you have to take risks.

Joint second in games lost in division but top in draws; says it all. With the match winning payers we have, it makes sense to go attacking in H2 of a match.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ballsy as hell for me. Could have shored up and settled for a draw but decided to really push Hull and that made a huge difference.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Gus got it absolutely spot-on today & the players who contributed did him proud. Let's hope we have Vicente available for the rest of the season - coz with the rest of the squad fit & having him on the pitch, we are capable of beating anybody & everybody in this division.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Read his programme notes. It's just about winning. Sacrifice shape and tactics, throw on your match winners and get it done. He did, and they did. Very impressive.

Buckley up front again though? Pointless trying to shoehorn him into the team.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i do believe, that today we saw the unveiling of plan B :thumbsup:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
i do believe, that today we saw the unveiling of plan B :thumbsup:

Yep. Reckon you're right. A 4-4-2 formation and positive substitutions. I really hope he is able and prepared to develop this in the coming weeks. For the first time in ages I think we are still in with a shout.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Read his programme notes. It's just about winning. Sacrifice shape and tactics, throw on your match winners and get it done. He did, and they did. Very impressive.

I guess the bench rather alluded to that.

KLL, Vicente, Buckley, Hoskins.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Yep. Reckon you're right. A 4-4-2 formation and positive substitutions. I really hope he is able and prepared to develop this in the coming weeks. For the first time in ages I think we are still in with a shout.

It was a very narrow 4-4-2, my only gripe about the formation was that we had no width and against a 3-5-2, that is what you need.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I loved the substitutions as I predicted each one correctly and I thought that they showed that we were going for the win as a draw wasnt going to be good enough..

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Glad we tried the 442-ish shape.

It was always a concern when we only have two in the middle, in case it's not enough.
However, we seemed to have four. Hammond spent more time at left wing than Orlandi.

With Leo up front, i honestly expected more crosses from wide, like lask week. Especially from Dave and Bruno.

If we can make that shape work more consistently/efficiently we'll have more attacking options. we just need to pass it quicker & take less touches to use the space better.

Macca had a great first half too, pity the midfield dozed through it.

Sounds like Gus is well up for the play offs, if today was anything to go by, it's going to nail biting stuff.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Got all 3 subs absolutely spot on, no doubt the "Gus is tactically inept" mongs will steer clear of this thread.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
It really showed how 'narrow' we were in the second half. Sitting in the east lower, there were great swathes of lush green turf that were untouched due to the lack of wide players. I can see why Gus did it though as Hull were set up very narrow as well. It was toe to toe stuff for most of the game until Gus's inspired substitutions. Nice to see us go for broke rather than settle for a safe draw.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Subs seemed absolutely spot on, the right kind of changes at the right times, and they made the difference between 1 point and 3.

Simples as that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here