Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's debate - The Iraq war was it worth it ?

Do you back the ongoing War in Iraq

• Yes - Bush was right and still is

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Yes - We have to carry on now until the end

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • No - Bush was hasty and rash

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • No - Bush is a murderer and war criminal

Votes: 42 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Over 4 years down the line after the Statue of Saddam was toppled to much joy and shoes being slapped around his head, when the USA declared it over , has the war as it stands been worth it. Yes Saddam is out but it is now Civil War and we may have to cut and chase with our tails between our legs. The USA will not do this as it is a matter of principle to Bush but if/when he loses Power a more conciliatory Hilary Clinton may have different views as she will be the next President no doubts.

If you thought the war was right and just , do you still think so, if you thought it wrong from the outside, its unlikely you will have changed your mind.

I thought the war was right and backed it but the non existant after plan and mess now means I am having to review my position.

This could be the next Vietnam, what is the answer and what is your view

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My guess - 114 pages by midnight ....

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'll go for EIGHT 8 pages by 12pm Thursday

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Cant answer as I think NO, this war wasn't worth it....
but I also think we must now stay there rather than leave the country to decend into a bloody civil war.

Therefore none of the options quite fit.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Where is the option for 'No, it was a mistake but we cant leave now'?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I know about as much about military tactics as I know about Chinese opera but even I know that you need to work in advance out how to get in, what exactly you want to do, how to do it, and how to get out again.

Anything other than that level of planning is a strategy being dictated by politicians, not the military. And in this case, the politicians who - most shamefully of all - were desperate to abuse the memory of 9/11 to achieve their aim.

And some simple-minded cretins are still falling for it...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Commander said:
Where is the option for 'No, it was a mistake but we cant leave now'?

Thats the option I would choose as well.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
we "went in to bring security and democracy to an oppressed people and make life better for them and free them from a murderous dictator"

pros.
america has secured all the oil it needs
american firms are getting fat on the rebuilding contracts,the oil contracts,the infrastructure contracts needed to supply the american and iraqi armies and security forces.
they are getting very fat on the armaments and ordanance supplies being used like fireworks on the 4th of july.
american T.V. has lots of footage to sell ads by.
load of patients to fill hospitals supplied by america.
all of the above companies have strong links with the bush administration.
loads of poor,mostly black,americans wiped out(dont ever believe that the powers that control any army give a f*** about loosing working class cannon fodder)
the labour party has probably lost the next election because of this pointless waste of life.
the current elected government has no chance of securing peace

cons
we made life a whole lot less secure for the 650.000 dead so far and the maimed list must outnumber the dead.
power and water infrastructure destroyed.
security for the living is non existant and life can be taken so cheaply you average iraqi lives in constant fear of the next car bomb.
life is no better for our(all coalition)forces
WE WILL ULTIMATELY LOOSE AND HAVE TO QUIT AND RUN just like the fall of saigon leaving chaos behind

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Gritt23 said:
Cant answer as I think NO, this war wasn't worth it....
but I also think we must now stay there rather than leave the country to decend into a bloody civil war.

Therefore none of the options quite fit.

Completely agree.

In an ideal world, I would want the troops to come home now, however thats not going to be possible

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Franks Wild Years said:
I think the majority of people knew it wasn't going to work out before it even started. However they've now created a situation that needs seriously sorting out.

no army has ever won a war against terrorists,they may delay defeat,like israel,by unleashing superior firepower.(nazi's tried that in warsaw against the jewish ghetto's but it did not stop the resistance)
best we got was a score draw with the IRA(we left the more murderous bastards of the UDA UDF etc largely alone as they were nominally on our side)and that had more to do with a united ireland being an irrelevance in a federal europe.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Yes , Bush is right . Dont lose sight of the aim and how he's freed the people.

Ignore the students nimbys that smoke cannabis and protest about anything

Uncle Spielberg said:
Over 4 years down the line after the Statue of Saddam was toppled

Pedant alert! Should be over 3 years down the line. ;)

I agree with the "mistake but we now have to sort it".

Problem is that there is a growing belief that our presence is making things worse. Although obviously the "insurgents" want to that view to propogate, so it's a very tricky balance.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dougal said:
Yes , Bush is right . Dont lose sight of the aim and how he's freed the people.

Ignore the students nimbys that smoke cannabis and protest about anything

Brave to say that on NSC :eek:

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Yes and no really, I know that Bush made a mistake BUT what if they DID find WOMD? surely it would have been worth while then.

Or what if Bush decided NOT to invade Iraq and Iraq DID have WOMD, everyone will be calling him even more stupid for not invading.

And they did get rid of an even more of a murderer in Saddam Hussain

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
adrian29uk said:
..Iraq will become even more unstable.
There are killings and bombings in every city. The roads are unsafe to travel. You can be targeted purely because of you're religion. There are no flights out and water/power/petrol supplies are intermittment.

Just how much more unstable can it get?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here