Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays Argus report on the back page

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the whiskey one recons he will play Virgo up front, because he can be another Sutton.......mmmm Ok then.

On another point, he said that he likes McCammon and Virgo up front together because they can hold the ball up.

Well, I have seen the majority of games this season and almost all Virgo and McCammon have played and holding the ball up is not something I would say they are best at. In fact I wuld say they are actually very poor at holding the ball up. Virgs has a poor first touch and McCammon...well...lets leave that one.

I am concerned that our top scorere has now been "converted" to a winger, because he is the only one "who can cross the ball".

Surely get watson in..he is the best crosser in the team.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Jones has got a decent cross on him aswell, once he stops trying to go round the same defender twice just so he can do his little step over.
If McGhee is after a loan signing then a left winger with the ability to cross ought to be on the list so that Leon can get back into the middle and get back to sticking the ball in the onion bag.

Percy Tantrums

Jul 14, 2003
Brighton
dave the gaffer said:
I am concerned that our top scorere has now been "converted" to a winger, because he is the only one "who can cross the ball".

Surely get watson in..he is the best crosser in the team. [/B]

Isn't Virgo our top scorer this season?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
dave the gaffer said:

Surely get watson in..he is the best crosser in the team.

He WAS our top scorer last season, but has never really looked like repeating the feat this season. I reckon he looks like a good winger at this level. Anyone remember the last time he was in this division? On loan at Sheff Weds, and he wasn't happy because they kept playing him on the wing! Hmm, maybe that's just your best position at this level.

He is not the only one who can cross the ball, but he does look like the best.

Watson? Blimey Dave, I thought you were living in the past thinking of Leon as our top scorer, but now I know you are. Watson WAS great for us. Superb dead ball player, and hit a mean inswinging cross, but the last time he hit a good ball Peter Taylor was in charge! True it was a corker at Port Vale, but we've seen very little since, and I thought he always looked vulnerable defensively, even in the lower divisions.

I think Watson's contract is up this summer, so MM is taking a look at him before deciding to release him, and with Reid and El Abd, I'm quite comfortable with that.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I thought that Big Mac had good games against Wigan and Sunderland and that he did hold the ball up well. He's not exactly subtle or sublime I admit, but Virgo would not have scored without McCammon's strength and determination on Tuesday. If we could split Virgs in two and have Virgs 1 in defence and Virgs 2 in attack that would be perfect (but not very likely I suppose...) He is a very natural footballer who has a great career ahead of him. To have a player who can potentially switch from attack to defence or vice versa according to how the game is going could be very useful on occasions.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I think McCammon or Virgo up front is an effective option - although they both need to work on their first touch, they are strong presences and cause problems. I just think both of them up there limits us more than we need to.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Todays Argus report on the back page

Gritt23 said:

Watson? Blimey Dave, I thought you were living in the past thinking of Leon as our top scorer, but now I know you are. Watson WAS great for us. Superb dead ball player, and hit a mean inswinging cross, but the last time he hit a good ball Peter Taylor was in charge! True it was a corker at Port Vale, but we've seen very little since, and I thought he always looked vulnerable defensively, even in the lower divisions.

I think Watson's contract is up this summer, so MM is taking a look at him before deciding to release him, and with Reid and El Abd, I'm quite comfortable with that.

apart from the cross on tuesday that hammond converted:p

I hear what you are saying, however I am concerned that with Leon sulking, which we all know he does at times when his dives are punished ( ooops sorry that is not relly PC is it), we have no-one who can cross the ball!!!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think that there is a difference between getting the ball and dribbling with it and winning throw ons and free kicks, which McCammon does very well, and holding the ball up and bringing our midfield into the game.

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
McGammon holds the ball up well? are you sure?

He's big, competitive, runs about a lot and would be a right handful in league two but at this level effort is not enough.

Virgo brings people into the game but is not a natural striker, positionally he is not the best but again is wholehearted and has the confidence to shoot and as someone else said has the potential to have a good career. Virgo is certainly a quality performer at this level and player of the season for me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Lord Bracknell said:
Step forward ...

... Dan Harding?

Possibly not a bad shout. Harding likes to go forward, and moving him out of defence would get him out of the situations where the morons get on his back all the time (never really has a positive effect does it lads?)

That would free up Leon to play behind Big Mac, with Virgs back in defence.

If it needs changing during a game, he's got all the personnel out there to reshuffle by putting Virgs up, Leon wide, Harding back.....

:ohmy:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lord Bracknell said:
Step forward ...

... Dan Harding?
Step forward...trip over ball...lose possession...dive in recklessly in vain attempt to recover situation...miss...get booked...

...Dan Harding?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bobby Z fits the bill best, a left footer than can go wide a cross if needed.

I think I would like to see Virgs in the Ray Kennedy role that he played for Liverpool. This was more like a midfielder/attacking centre-half role. His main role was not a defender, but if need be he could drop back and help out.

I agree that Leon Knight and Nathan Jones are the best crossers of the ball. Watto is on his wrong foot to get to the right sided byeline.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
perseus said:
Bobby Z fits the bill best, a left footer than can go wide a cross if needed.

I think I would like to see Virgs in the Ray Kennedy role that he played for Liverpool. This was more like a midfielder/attacking centre-half role. His main role was not a defender, but if need be he could drop back and help out.

:nono: :dunce: :jester: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :jester: :dunce: :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
perseus said:
I think I would like to see Virgs in the Ray Kennedy role that he played for Liverpool.
:lolol:
I can't compete with comedy like that.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PS: Virgs is no good with his back to goal. Not that I have seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here