Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today in 1979

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Gritt23 said:
Marvellous scenes.

Minbus from outside of the Parkview..Friday night.

Arrived early Saturday....weren't the locals friendly.

Who remembers the Mack'ems about 4 of them who sought to 'start' in the away end. Booted out and then attacked by the Geordies!!

Gripping Scenes!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Even though I was at a northern uni and I'd been to all other northern and midlands games that season, I didn't go: I had what I thought was a hot date that night ...

..she didn't show :(

There's a lesson there somewhere

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Who won the title that year..

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

We beat the Burnley 2-0, 51,801 packed into Selhurst. Great scenes.:drink:

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
and I got engaged to my first wife on this very same day in 1979 .... so bitter sweet memories!!!!!!!!!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Fantastic win, champagne on the train back courtesy of Mike Bamber, all the players wandering through the train pissed as farts, great day. Chris Cattlin was telling everybody who would listen that this was his best day in football and how much he loved the club. "What about your time with Coventry?" someone asked "Oh f*** Coventry!" he spat back.

Ahhh memories. Will we ever see those days again?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
was my first real introduction to alcohol Newcastle Exhibiton ..was so pissed booed the team that scored not in stripes .until realised who it was :clap2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Croydonbloke said:
Who won the title that year..

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

We beat the Burnley 2-0, 51,801 packed into Selhurst. Great scenes.:drink:

Which I think, stopped us winning it. The Albion team found out the score whilst on a BCal jet to the States I seem to remember. The crowd figure was pretty damned impressive and shows what a bunch of fairweather fans Palace had :p

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
My 16th birthday.

Whole day on the charter train which arrived late. Couldn't see on the terrace until we scored, then moshed it down the terrace.

Marvellous scenes at the end - on the pitch and standing on a concrete crash barrier in front of the main stand.

Almost getting thumped by squat Geordies on the way back to the station.

Great day.

PG

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Marvellous and those who got the DVD off TGC would be able to relieve that fateful day with the highlights package!!!!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Icy Gull said:
The crowd figure was pretty damned impressive and shows what a bunch of fairweather fans Palace had :p
the match was played on a Friday night and reportedly the crowd included a lot of neutral fans from other London clubs who were attracted by the one-off nature of the game...

the croydon scum would never have got that many otherwise

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Moshe Gariani said:
the match was played on a Friday night and reportedly the crowd included a lot of neutral fans from other London clubs who were attracted by the one-off nature of the game...

There were a fair few Albion fans in the Burnley end including me but nothing could spoil the feeling of going up. The match at Newcastle, the train home, celebrating at the station when we arrived back and in the town all night was just one of the best ever experiences of my life :clap2:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
One of my favourite trivia questions...

5th May 1979: Newcastle 1 Brighton 3 : Brighton go up

12th May 1984: Newcastle 3 Brighton 1 : Newcastle go up

One player scored in both games - who ?

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Moshe Gariani said:

Rubbish. We had a massive following back then and Atrracted a few 40,000 plus crowds the 79/80 season. We were actually one of the best supported London clubs back in the 1970`s even in the old 3rd division. We in actual fact had a 37,000 plus crowd in division 4 so there Ner, Ner, Ner, Ner.

Here it is for the record.

The ground holds the record for the old Division Four (now Division Three) attendance for Palace v Millwall in 1961 when 37,774 turned out.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here