Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To what extent is Bloom responsible for Falmer?

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
listened to the official podcast yesterday. perry said something like "all this is down to tony", but this was on the cards before he came on the scene, no?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
f*** all as Uncle Dick had no money but TB was obviously waiting for his moment as he had the cash

What a really great question.......

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
What I understand is, is that we planned on getting a loan from the Banks but no Bank would lend that amount of cash to us. So Tony Bloom stumped up the cash instead.

So in short, without Bloom there wouldn't be Falmer. (If I have my facts straight!)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think you will find at SOL meeting a while back someone let slip by mistake there was a single financial backer

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Be under no illusion without Bloom we would not have Falmer. No bank would finance it then or now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My interpretation of events is that he was always going to supply the majority of the stadium from the outset - the rest being funded by the banks.

Financial circumstances dictated that he then had to supply all the finances.

For whatever reason, the details of his always considerable investment were kept quiet for a number of years.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Conceptually Dick was the prime mover perhaps and he did in fairness take the lion's share when it came to keeping it going through planning and public hearings etc when no-one else was in a position to hold the helm.

Realisation/financially of course it is down to Tony.

Give them both credit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dick got us planning permission, Tony is building it. It's this simple.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My interpretation of events is that he was always going to supply the majority of the stadium from the outset - the rest being funded by the banks.

Financial circumstances dictated that he then had to supply all the finances.

For whatever reason, the details of his always considerable investment were kept quiet for a number of years.

The original brief given to the banks was that Bloom was stumping up £30million and the balancing £50-60million was requested in bank loans. When the banking crisis hit at the worst possible time Bloom decided the only way was to put forward the whole amount. Quite literally saving our bacon. Can you imagine what it would be like if he hadn't. Unbelievably lucky to have him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Make no mistake. Tony Bloom is almost ENTIRELY to blame for Falmer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The original brief given to the banks was that Bloom was stumping up £30million and the balancing £50-60million was requested in bank loans.

is this inside knowledge or just conjecture/rumour. everyone seemed blindsided by Bloom's total input when announced, now people knew about it all along? as far as i can see we dont know for a fact that there were no banks interested, it might be the club just decided the terms weren't acceptable with another source available.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
is this inside knowledge or just conjecture/rumour. everyone seemed blindsided by Bloom's total input when announced, now people knew about it all along? as far as i can see we dont know for a fact that there were no banks interested, it might be the club just decided the terms weren't acceptable with another source available.

I knew someone at one of the pitches for a bank. He confirmed that " an individual was putting up £30million. It then became obvious at the time, as I posted on here, that no bank money was going to be forthcoming and therefore as Perry was still confident about funding, it was clear Bloom had stepped up to the plate. Lucky for us.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
The original brief given to the banks was that Bloom was stumping up £30million and the balancing £50-60million was requested in bank loans. When the banking crisis hit at the worst possible time Bloom decided the only way was to put forward the whole amount. Quite literally saving our bacon. Can you imagine what it would be like if he hadn't. Unbelievably lucky to have him.

Bugger me Giraffe.

For the last 20 years or so, I've always considered myself in the loop.

That is most certainly the first I've heard of that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I knew someone at one of the pitches for a bank. ... It then became obvious at the time, as I posted on here, that no bank money was going to be forthcoming .

far do's, but there is more than one bank, i dont see how anyone (outside the club) can be so certain.

people don't know where Bloom made his wealth, yet now there are people with the knowledge he was funding it all along? forgive me a little sceptism.

Last edited:

It's reasonable to assume that a substantial proportion of the money put up front will be repaid from future income. What proportion and how quickly? Therein lies the risk that Tony Bloom has taken on. He is clearly more prepared than the banks were in 2007/08 to carry a risk like this, and for that we are all extremely grateful.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
He is clearly more prepared than the banks were in 2007/08 to carry a risk like this, and for that we are all extremely grateful.

More importantly he's doing it without charging the club interest.

Even if people don't understand that he's going to take alot of money back over the next 10 or so years (when is the loan converted to shares?) I don't think anyone with any sense will begrudge him a return on his investment, Mr Bloom knows better than anyone that the return will probably be less than he's put in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here