Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To anyone who had HDTV for the World Cup

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Did we play any better on HDTV? Because I'm not sure if it was the reception on my TV or an actual technical fault that made us look so shite.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yes and no. Its worth the hype, its not worth E400 and E15/month "HD rental" from Sky, at least not yet.

If you just want to watch football, any football, in HD it might be when the new season starts; but don't expect to see our probable single game this season in HD.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched the England v Portugal game round a mates on his HDTV (40 inch jobbie). Have to say its as I thought - TOTALLY overrated. Yes, the picture is sharp and the colours vibrant. But after a few minutes of watching it, I'd completely forgotten I was watching it in HD and just took it for granted. I went back to my own humble non-HDTV with Sky+ digibox and didn't notice any perceptable downturn in picture quality.

In short, I guess if you had a HDTV immediately next to a normal TV, you'd see a big difference. But otherwise, for me, a standard digital broadcast is absolutely fine. I don't think its worth splashing out the extra cash to upgrade to HDTV. Suppose I'll get one when I need a new TV, but its certainly not good enough to leave me gagging for it right now. In fact, if I could get a nice 37'' LCD TV that was cheaper because it ISN'T HD compatible, I'd get that straight away.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
HDTV has been around for years, but sales have really been driven by the States where the difference between it and NTSC is much, much more noticeable.

No doubt the new Playstation will drive a few sales, but I think I'll wait a few years for there to be less flavours of HDTV to choose from and the price to be a lot cheaper.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah, I'd advise NOT buying a HDTV any time soon, unless you're replacing a TV. The first 1080p capable ones are starting to appear, which will reduce the cost of the current generation of kit as well as eventually percolate down to the affordable end of the market.

That and all current HDTV satellite boxes suck bollocks. They're all useless, crashy shit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
MYOB said:
That and all current HDTV satellite boxes suck bollocks. They're all useless, crashy shit.

Are Apple involved at all?:p

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Franks Wild Years said:
:ohmy: :ohmy: Don't get him started on Mac stuff.:lol:

It's like a red rag to a bull....

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Easy 10 said:
I watched the England v Portugal game round a mates on his HDTV (40 inch jobbie). Have to say its as I thought - TOTALLY overrated. Yes, the picture is sharp and the colours vibrant. But after a few minutes of watching it, I'd completely forgotten I was watching it in HD and just took it for granted. I went back to my own humble non-HDTV with Sky+ digibox and didn't notice any perceptable downturn in picture quality.

In short, I guess if you had a HDTV immediately next to a normal TV, you'd see a big difference. But otherwise, for me, a standard digital broadcast is absolutely fine. I don't think its worth splashing out the extra cash to upgrade to HDTV. Suppose I'll get one when I need a new TV, but its certainly not good enough to leave me gagging for it right now. In fact, if I could get a nice 37'' LCD TV that was cheaper because it ISN'T HD compatible, I'd get that straight away.

Yeah, but you came to that conclusion before you'd watched a football match on HDTV. :lolol:

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?s=&postid=1413665#post1413665

Last edited:

Albion Rob

I would imagine you just watch the same programmes but the vision is a bit better? Is that right?

It's not going to make England beat Portugal, make the Da Vinci Code a good film or make Big Brother more interesting.

In short, it sounds like style over substance to me - very expensive style at this stage.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
MYOB said:
The first 1080p capable ones are starting to appear, which will reduce the cost of the current generation of kit as well as eventually percolate down to the affordable end of the market.

1080p TV's have been around for a while now, DOES anyone know what NTL are doing about HDTV ?, it can't belong before someone at NTL realises what thay CAN DO with optical fibres !!!!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Okay. Don't think it's got much competition though. Hence the price.

Love the quote on Amazon: "Brilliant, almost 3D performance." :thud:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here