Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tivo box vigin

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
just upgraded from v hd+ to the tivo,what a super peice of kit,also upgraded to 30 meg,which is spot on,and hd+ put in my sons room free of charge,
all because i said i was leaving to sky,sorry but they are light years behind vigin imo

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
We've got the same offer, but with the 60mb Broadband - I agree it's brilliant!!! I'm loving having HD TV in the bedroom, means I can watch the football regardless!!!

Virgin, other than not having Sky Atlantic, are pissing on Sky in terms of what they offer for the price. The only reason that Sky won't give Virgin Sky Atlantic is that they know Virgin would take half their customers.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
What benefits does the tivo box have over a normal HD+ box? All I've heard is a larger storage capacity, and it recommends you programmes you might like. Neither of which tempt me in the slightest.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
What benefits does the tivo box have over a normal HD+ box? All I've heard is a larger storage capacity, and it recommends you programmes you might like. Neither of which tempt me in the slightest.

The app based system that it has, although in it's early days, is going to prove to be an incredibly useful feature with the advent of online TV. With Spotify already on board, and Netflix, Lovefilm and others joining in the near future, it will make TV very interactive.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

Then why ask what the benefits are ?

Bit of a pointless question isnt it......

:tosser:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
The app based system that it has, although in it's early days, is going to prove to be an incredibly useful feature with the advent of online TV. With Spotify already on board, and Netflix, Lovefilm and others joining in the near future, it will make TV very interactive.

Watch Lovefilm/Netflix through my PS3 so that doesn't appeal either. There just seems to be a lot hype around the box but it doesn't actually do anything more than a Sky+ box was doing years and years ago. I have had Virgin for over a year now and struggle to find any better features over Sky. Doesn't sound like a tivo box will change that! Although as you say as things develop of the coming months/years that may change.

Then why ask what the benefits are ?

Bit of a pointless question isnt it......

:tosser:

Brilliant

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've had Tivo for 6 months now, don't know how I'd cope without it! Lots of wish lists set up so that films with certain actors or by certain directors are recorded, I've filled 65% of my 1TB storage as I keep various series saved up. It does learn what you like over time using the thumbs up or thumbs down. Even if certain series start, or certain films, the Tivo will in a lot of cases automatically record them as it knows I might be interested. It also searches for stuff a lot easier.

I've also connected the Tivo to my network, so I can control the Tivo box either through Zeebox (changing channels only), and the Peanut app on my iPad and iPhone. Its actually really good and VM are supposedly developing their own fully integrated app for this.

They also recently upgraded my 10mb to 60mb broadband, and that is genuinely fast for most of the time.

I am a happy VM customer!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Watch Lovefilm/Netflix through my PS3 so that doesn't appeal either. There just seems to be a lot hype around the box but it doesn't actually do anything more than a Sky+ box was doing years and years ago. I have had Virgin for over a year now and struggle to find any better features over Sky. Doesn't sound like a tivo box will change that! Although as you say as things develop of the coming months/years that may change.

[said in the voice of Micky from Hustle...]
I hardly watch any scheduled TV, and often miss certain films or series because I don't know they're on. With Tivo you can set up Wishlists where say you like a certain genre, or actor or director or whatever, you can set up search lists so whenever these come on, Tivo will record it for you. On your remote you also have a thumbs up and thumbs down function. If you're watching something you really like, say a crime drama, it will start to learn you like crime drama's and start recording them for you in a suggestions folder. If you don't like them you just clear them, and it records over them if you run out of space. You can also search backwards through the tv guide as it will link the guide into catchup of all the various channels.

It does have a lot of features to explore, and is a different way to control your tv. Ultimately your picture quality and service delivery is the same as V+, only it's much better controlled and accessed.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
I got the Tivo box installed in my room and the living room and couldn't be happier. Nothing like laying in bed watching HD football! Plus I can record a ridiculous amount of stuff on it.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
How much is it for this Tivo thing?

I'm on Virgin Media for TV, phone and broadband but the broadband has been dipping in and out of late.

I'm thinking of doing the old "I'm leaving or else" call but wouldn't mind an idea of what I might be offered before I demand it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Excuse my ignorance, but why is that better than pressing a button on the remote

The actual result is no different obviously, but it does mean you can search say the TV guide on Zeebox without doing it on the actual TV, then change the channel. It also takes the infra-red out of the equation so that you can be in another room, and do stuff like pause, or what have you. It also gives you a keyboard which is also a lot better than typing in searches, especially when using youtube or spotify through the box.

Right at this moment it is a little limited, but Tivo desktop which they have in the US is even more powerful and allows the Tivo to effectively link to your computer over your network so you can watch shows on the box on your computer and vice versa. VM are apparently working on the desktop app for the UK - although it's release remains to be seen.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How much is it for this Tivo thing?

I'm on Virgin Media for TV, phone and broadband but the broadband has been dipping in and out of late.

I'm thinking of doing the old "I'm leaving or else" call but wouldn't mind an idea of what I might be offered before I demand it.

That's what I did. Definitely chose the option to leave, then say you want to separate your services out for your phone, tv and broadband. They will reduce the Tivo and probably upgrade your broadband to the new hub.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
I left Sky for a Tivo, and thought it had GREAT features. Unfortunately, after a few months of using it, I found out that on the reliability and ease-of-use stakes, it fell short of Sky+. A few examples:

* Putting sound through HDMI to the TV then through the TV's Optical Out to my HiFi for the Dolby Digital: the sound keeps disappearing after winding through the ads (possibly the TV or HiFi getting confused at the switch between DD and non-DD), which seems to be a common problem from looking at bulletin boards;
* The apps are very cumbersome to use (particularly entering text) and YouTube keeps losing sound after finishing the first video clip (direct to TV this time, not through the HiFi);
* Catch-up tv from the "past" part of the TV guide ends up taking you through several layers of menu before you then have to again select the episode you want (when I'd already selected it from the TV guide) - very frustrating;
* On Series Link, even when I say "only new episodes" it will keep recording old episodes of certain programmes.

I would reiterate, though, that the available features are indeed way ahead of Sky+, so it's a decision over whether you're prepared to put up with its bugs and quirks, and the slightly higher cost particularly if you want Sky Sports and/or Movies (although you may find you can negotiate the package, you won't be able to negotiate the Sky extras, and you'll never get the regular "half-price movies for 3 months" deals that Sky regularly offer their customers).

But when Sky offered me 6 months free (including Sports and Movies) to come back to them with only a 12-month tie-in, now that I can connect Virgin Broadband to it to get Anytime+, it was too good an offer to pass up. The Tivo is now in my daughter's room on the minimum package, Virgin moving it for me free of charge (even though a new cable needed to be run through) and reducing me to the minimum TV subscription with a total package saving of about £25. I have let Sky know what extra Tivo features I feel they need to look at including, as they seemed keen to know, so watch this space!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
its free for xl customers,i have xl tv,unlimited 30 meg internet,unlimited phone national calls,and tivo box andhd+in one room for 50 quid a month

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here