Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Tipping, yes or no ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
We try to avoid anywhere with a service charge and as for Tipping we make sure it goes to the member or members of staff who have looked after us and not the All In The Same Pot option, which can unfortunately exclude the back room staff who are just as important for a successful business.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
We try to avoid anywhere with a service charge and as for Tipping we make sure it goes to the member or members of staff who have looked after us and not the All In The Same Pot option, which can unfortunately exclude the back room staff who are just as important for a successful business.
Same, where possible leave cash on the table when paying the bill by card but feel a little about kitchen staff missing out. Most restaurants I end up in add a service charge to the bill though, which I am also OK with.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A new law Employment (Allocation of Tips) Act 2023 took effect today, now 100% of tips, gratuities and service charges must be paid to staff, with no deduction for 'admin'. It's a criminal offence to do otherwise.

Employers may still do the allocating, but it must be fair. This would need to stand up to courts scrutiny.

We tip after meals out at 10% to 15%, the (Paul) barbers over 40%!

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good question. When they come round with the card machine, if there is a tip option I usually add 10%. If not I don't bother anymore. Service can often be quite shite so I'm not feeling guilty.

Hope you're well :thumbsup:

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Unfortunately yes, Canada has the same tipping culture as America, albeit not as extreme. Although I only tip 15% on going out for food. I don’t tip if the transaction involved me standing on my feet and ordering at a till, mainly coffee or grabbing a pint at a brewery.

It’s getting out of control though, 6/7 years ago the tipping options were 12%, 15% and 18%. Now you’re lucky if it starts at 18%, sometimes it’s like 20/22/25.

Servers here can make SERIOUS bank, I have a friend who still works a 2nd job on Friday/Sat evenings at a bar downtown because she can earn $400-500 in one night. Even though she has a full time job that pays extremely well, it’s hard to walk away from an extra $4,000 a month. I have another friend who was tipped $1,200 by one table of Americans on Christmas Day.

Best part about coming home is not tipping :ROFLMAO:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This again :lolol:

Always tip in cafe's, restaurants, bars where I have a tab, cabs, hairdressers. 15% to 20%, 20% is in places I use often and where I get looked after. Rarely pay cash so always on card.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
For those that use Deliveroo/Just Eat, do you tip the driver? I have done in the past, but the last time I didn't have any change and felt GUILTY.

They are on zero hours and earn a pittance, so it's the right thing surely?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have had some fun with tips. Did not notice the serice already added and ended up paying around 30% tip in a few places.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Made the mistake of not tipping the barmaid in a bar in America once. Pretty soon, she stopped coming over so we just went up to the bar ourselves like you do here. Got a few odd looks and glares. By the end of the evening, our (unwiped) table was full of dirty, uncollected glasses. In our defence, we were young, it was our first ever night out in the states and we weren't quite sure of the culture and the fact that tips are pretty much mandatory unless you've received absolutely disgusting service.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And before we get into the 'why tip' argument.....when everything was taken away during Covid, it made me realise how much joy the hospitality sector provides to my little life. It also made me realise how I'd taken it for granted. Tipping, smiling, being polite is the least I can do.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
For those that use Deliveroo/Just Eat, do you tip the driver? I have done in the past, but the last time I didn't have any change and felt GUILTY.

Not sure anyone using those Apps can claim any sort of moral high ground just by tipping the driver. Well documented how they’ve fecked the independent sector, use dark kitchens, modern slavery etc. Just so we can become even lazier and more obese stuffing our faces watching mind numbingly gormless streaming content on our sofas instead of going out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Try to. But often we’ve literally no cash in the house.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Made the mistake of not tipping the barmaid in a bar in America once. Pretty soon, she stopped coming over so we just went up to the bar ourselves like you do here. Got a few odd looks and glares. By the end of the evening, our (unwiped) table was full of dirty, uncollected glasses. In our defence, we were young, it was our first ever night out in the states and we weren't quite sure of the culture and the fact that tips are pretty much mandatory unless you've received absolutely disgusting service.

Ignorant Americans!

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Just come back from holiday in Canada- nearly everything wanted a tip and it was a choice of 18%, 20% or 22%. Only place that didn’t add a tip was Tim Horton’s chain at service stops

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Service charges in restaurants seem more and more common these days

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Recently returned from Canada. When the credit card machine is placed in front of you with the total due it offered 4 choices of what % you wanted to add as a tip.

It started at either 15% or sometimes 18% as the lowest amount. And then offered other options of 20%, 25% or 30%.
It also had an option to choose your own amount. For the first few days I choose to tip 10% but eventually I gave up and just tipped 15% everywhere.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
My middle son works (as a student) in hospitality, sometimes at the bar sometimes in the kitchen. I believe that people don't tip, and the workers don't try to chase as too often this goes straight to the business. It's good news that this won't happen any more, and will encourage tips for good work

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm a bit puzzled. You say the back room staff are just as important so how do you make sure they get part of the tip?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here