Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Timing of substitutions

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Do you think Hurzeler seems to go a little late on his subs?

I just think the intensity of “high press, high line, embrace the chaos up and down” type football means that we’re looking a little jaded in moments during matches. I understand some of this is due to players returning from injury, but I think it’s also some struggling to keep up with the manager’s demands.

I think, given we can use 5 subs and given the high calibre of bench players and given we’re not going to rotate RDZ style, we should use more subs earlier. Think South Africa rugby and the bomb squad. So there the instruction is to the whole forward line to empty the tank for the first half and the first 10 mins of the second and you’ll be taken off, but you’ll get your place back for the next match.

I’d be thinking typically 4 subs on the hour. Hold one back to cover an injury. Different people each match to manage minutes, but opponents won’t want to face 2 new wingers and a refreshed midfield for the last half an hour of every game

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do you think Hurzeler seems to go a little late on his subs?

I just think the intensity of “high press, high line, embrace the chaos up and down” type football means that we’re looking a little jaded in moments during matches. I understand some of this is due to players returning from injury, but I think it’s also some struggling to keep up with the manager’s demands.

I think, given we can use 5 subs and given the high calibre of bench players and given we’re not going to rotate RDZ style, we should use more subs earlier. Think South Africa rugby and the bomb squad. So there the instruction is to the whole forward line to empty the tank for the first half and the first 10 mins of the second and you’ll be taken off, but you’ll get your place back for the next match.

I’d be thinking typically 4 subs on the hour. Hold one back to cover an injury. Different people each match to manage minutes, but opponents won’t want to face 2 new wingers and a refreshed midfield for the last half an hour of every game
I have had the same thoughts, and discussions. There are some players, too (Welbeck is a prime example) who seem to play much better if they are not trying to pace themselves for a potential full 90. I too would rather see us have a front three who throw everything into their efforts, knowing they've only got to manage 45 / 50 / 60 minutes. Its not as though we don't have a load more good players in reserve.

BUT...

What do we know? I presume that they do not play it like that, because the DATA informs them that there is actually more benefit in waiting until 75 minutes (presumably that the opposition defenders are significantly more compromised by that stage, for the new wingers to exploit)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here